Tattoo newbie

Tyfarns

What's up everybody? Tyler here from New Brunswick, canada. I am 28 years old and have known I was going to get a tattoo for a long time and am finally doing it. Joining this group so I can show my design and get feedback. I am no artist so any criticism or ideas or ok. I'll be posting in the tattoo design section.  My consultation visit is August 14th and I'm looking forward to it. 

Here is my crappy drawing of my design. For any Twin Peaks fans out there it is the red room, with the red curtain and black and white flooring. The curtain blowing open to show the entry point at the ring of sycamore trees and the owl symbol. Thoughts anyone? I am nervous my idea wont translate to a tattoo. For placement I'm thinking inner left arm. Considering having the red curtain and flooring wrapping around my arm with the curtain open at the forearm. Thanks in advance everyone 

Twinpeakstattoodesign.jpg

Twin Peaks is a surrealistic visual adventure so having a tattoo that follows that theme is understood by me. That being said any surrealistic tattoo is going to get odd looks = and that's OK, as long as you don't mind answering the questions that will arise. 

That being said, you're going to need a very high quality artist to pull off the artwork needed to make sure your surrealistic image is readable (even to the initiated). Abstract floor patterns and especially curtains are going to have to not just look random or sloppy. 

Who is your artist?

14 minutes ago, SStu said:

Twin Peaks is a surrealistic visual adventure so having a tattoo that follows that theme is understood by me. That being said any surrealistic tattoo is going to get odd looks = and that's OK, as long as you don't mind answering the questions that will arise. 

That being said, you're going to need a very high quality artist to pull off the artwork needed to make sure your surrealistic image is readable (even to the initiated). Abstract floor patterns and especially curtains are going to have to not just look random or sloppy. 

Who is your artist?

Yes thank you!! The tattoo artist is the owner of Northern Sword Tattoos in Saint John, New Brunswick. I'm sure he is a talented guy but I do have slight concern he won't understand Twin Peaks or what I'm going for. TP is very important to me so I want it to be perfect naturally.

1 hour ago, Tyfarns said:

Yes thank you!! The tattoo artist is the owner of Northern Sword Tattoos in Saint John, New Brunswick. I'm sure he is a talented guy but I do have slight concern he won't understand Twin Peaks or what I'm going for. TP is very important to me so I want it to be perfect naturally.

No tattoo will be perfect. Just know that going in.

I did a quick search and found only a no-info website page and almost no input facebook page. The Owner's name isn't even prominent or possibly even listed, so I can't really react to historical reference artwork or ability. Not comforting here from the outside. 

The example you posted could be understandable to the closely initiated, but it's too small to provide any real detail. Hopefully you're going much bigger if you're intending to add a tree or two to the mix. 

The results, feel and comfort gained (or not) from your consultation is going to be paramount. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, Tyfarns said:

Here is my crappy drawing of my design. For any Twin Peaks fans out there it is the red room, with the red curtain and black and white flooring. The curtain blowing open to show the entry point at the ring of sycamore trees and the owl symbol. Thoughts anyone? I am nervous my idea wont translate to a tattoo. For placement I'm thinking inner left arm. Considering having the red curtain and flooring wrapping around my arm with the curtain open at the forearm. Thanks in advance everyone 

Twinpeakstattoodesign.jpg

20200904_195438.jpg