Infected tattoo

Snick

Hello! I got this tattoo about two weeks ago and about day 4 I woke up to it being super irritated and raised what looks like sores on some of the brown and black ink. I waited a day to see if it would go down on its own but it didn't, I went to the clinic and they prescribed me antibotics. These weren't working it was only getting worse. I waited for these antibiotics for about 5 days. I went to my pcp after that and she prescribed me sulfamethoxazole and said the recently prescribed medicine was not right. I am on day two and my tattoo has only gotten redder around some areas with not much changing. I am scared and worried as to what is going to happen next 😞 Im going to the doc again tomorrow to show her the lack of progress. Hoping for the best. Any possible feedback would be nice to hear, thank you! 

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

The initial sores were most likely due to the excess moisture that I had in the tattoo, a breading ground for bacteria. Its not visible through this photo but I believe the increase of redness around the area is cellulitis due to the infection. Ive been worried sick about this for the past week

That looks super painful! Goodluck. Hope it heals up ASAP.

As previously mentioned it does look like it’s been smothered which isn’t allowing the tattoo to dry out. I’m not sure what kind of cream you’re using but it almost looks like you’re using petroleum jelly/Vaseline and used FAR too much, and that stuffs the worst as it doesn’t allow your tattoo to breathe.... 

Did the doctor take any samples from it? It could be the anti biotics that were prescribed weren’t correct for the bacteria. I hope you manage to get some answers. Keep us posted. 

Edited by Hollie

57 minutes ago, SStu said:

It still looks very wet. If you're putting anything on it not prescribed by your doctor then stop, for sure. Tattoos need air to heal. 

+1

That thing is drowning, you need to let it dry out. At this point I wouldn't put anything on it, but the purpose of moisturizer is so it doesn't dry out. If it's shiny, you have too much. If it's not shiny, you still probably have to much.

I stoped putting all moisturizer on it about a week ago. The pus is the only thing that has any sort of moisture to it on the area right now. PCP won't be able to take a culture and my derm. is all booked up until the 31st, if anything gets worse I was advised to go to the er. 

Most likely, the first set of antibiotics were wrong and it might be too severe for sulfamethoxazole to take care of it. Hoping it's not a mrsa bacterial infection. Usually antibiotics take 24-72 hours to notice results and I'm on day 4 now. One weird thing that i've noticed as well is that the ink that is in the skin is staying but on affected areas it looks as if the outer layer of the ink is shrinking away from the tattoo. 

9 minutes ago, oboogie said:

YIKES. This is why it is best to go to the doctor if you have any question about such things. Glad you are on the mend.

A good doctor too! Had two doctors give me the incorrect medication smh, thankful for the treatment I got at the hospital. Im hoping this will be the end of it as well! 

4 hours ago, Snick said:

Went to the er and they put me under observation for a night and some, ending up being ca-mrsa :(. Pumped antibiotics thru an iv and gave me oral antibiotics to take when discharged. Hoping this medication kills it! Thanks for checking up! ❤️

Holy potatoes Batman. That’s bloody terrible! I’d highly suggest you let the artist know also... who knows if it was picked up there or during the mending process. Either way, it’s good to inform them. I’m so sorry to that you’ve had such a rough time. I hope you heal up ASAP and you’re able to enjoy your tattoo, finally. 

1 hour ago, Hollie said:

Holy potatoes Batman. That’s bloody terrible! I’d highly suggest you let the artist know also... who knows if it was picked up there or during the mending process. Either way, it’s good to inform them. I’m so sorry to that you’ve had such a rough time. I hope you heal up ASAP and you’re able to enjoy your tattoo, finally. 

Ive been in contact with him since I first started seeing something was off! It was most likely something that I did/ didn't do because the infection looks superficial, thank god. Thank you, me too this has been an awful experience. 

Edited by Snick

30 minutes ago, JAC1961 said:

Holy Christ, that's nothing to mess with.  Don't know where you're at, but that's the kind of thing that a local health department wants to know about.  Whether you got it at the shop or had it before and took it to the shop they should know, have testing done and cleaned to hell and back.

Yes I'm from the US. Thank you for letting me know, I will report this to the local health department tomorrow morning, have already been in contact with the shop letting them know what the problem is. I've cleaned everything as thorough as possible back at my house. Trying to stay strong and have a positive mindset.