Tattoo age on VBS

All that I could gather was that he had a shop in Baltimore in the eighties near a Greyhound station, learned under Thom Devita, broke in Dan Higgs, and tattooed a young Scott Weinrich

That would be the beginning of what is to tell, yeah. Still the most elusive tattooer as far as internet info, which I think is what he would've wanted anyway.

Tux did almost all of my tattoos in the first 3 or 4 years of getting tattooed starting at 18. His influence on me still continues to this day. Everything I learned about Real Tattooing started with him.

His shop was amazing. If you see pics of DeVita's house, that would give you the idea how Tux's shop & house were as well.

The lineage from DeVita>Tux>Higgs is easily noticable in each of their artwork.

Thanks for posting that. Also very interesting in there how he said that twenty years ago (going by the date on that article I guess that would brought the late 60s-early 70s) people were getting their hands and necks tattooed to show how into tattoos they are. Guess everything old is new again.

Thanks for posting that. Also very interesting in there how he said that twenty years ago (going by the date on that article I guess that would brought the late 60s-early 70s) people were getting their hands and necks tattooed to show how into tattoos they are. Guess everything old is new again.

Where was that black and white picture of the skinny naked dude with throat tattoos/chest script? I know @Iwar made some hilarious comments about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Tattoo Age is the absolute best series out there about tattoos. I keep finding myself checking the website almost daily to see if a new video has been posted yet like i kid running to the fireplace on christmas morning to see what ole santy clause brought them. I think the Grime and Freddy Corbin ones are my favorite so far but that just might be a bias desicion since i am from the bay area. Theyre all fucking awesome though. I can watch them over and over again and never be bored of it. I watched the Mike Rubendall ones the other night before going to bed. Its refreshing to see something like this out there that is able to show tattoing at its finest to the masses without bastardising it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
just getting around to watching these vids - so good

These videos changed my life. After I saw the Santoro episodes, I booked a plane ticket to Brooklyn. And this was before I saw the Freddy episodes. Had I seen the Freddy episodes first, I would have saved money on a plane ticket, haha.

I hope to see more in the future. I cannot thank Chris Grosso and his crew enough.

yeah CABS they are so well done - i like the interviews on LST also - but those videos are super cool - all of them - it gets me itching to branch myself out to get work from different artists in the future - which i'm doing actually - but just not to that level - i'm hittin more the jersey based folks

time and funds allowing - i'll get there

These videos changed my life. After I saw the Santoro episodes, I booked a plane ticket to Brooklyn. And this was before I saw the Freddy episodes. Had I seen the Freddy episodes first, I would have saved money on a plane ticket, haha.

I hope to see more in the future. I cannot thank Chris Grosso and his crew enough.

CABS you get any work at Smith yet? was wondering about the experience - I was thinking I would just want to make an appt and then pick some flash when I get there - anyway - feedback if you've been...

I think Dan would be my choice - in that video it seems like his style and flash creations / ideas are what I'm into

@marley mission I got a walk-in from Eli in 2011 and it's a cool shop. What they do isn't really what I'm looking for anymore, personally, but it's a neat place, the flash is gorgeous, and it's totally the sort of place you can go without having anything in mind. That's what I did and I ended up with a cool wolf head. There was a sheet up that I believe Dan did that had the headless Acéphale man on it and I've toyed with getting that at various points over the years, but the idea doesn't sit totally right with me. Anyway, there's a LOAD of great stuff on the walls ranging from tried and true classics to stuff that's pretty far out there and still looks classic.

I'd also recommend that you check out Electric Tattoo in Asbury Park. I haven't been to the new shop, but the old one in Bradley Beach is one of the neatest shops I've been in. It has walls covered in hand-painted flash too, there are great tattooers there (I got tattooed by Tom Yak, my wife got one from Robert Ryan), but it feels far less "Brooklyn" than Smith Street is. There's really good vibes at Electric.