Is this normal? Just removed dermalize.

shaunp94

Hi. I’ve just removed my Dermalize after approximately 5 days, upon doing so an extremely large layer of tattoo appears grey as if skin has peeled, the rest is still extremely dark and sticky in places. Where the skin feels as if it has peeled is now a greyer black, smooth to touch and the tattoo stings a little in places

6z0g2i3786d51.jpg

scab1.jpg

scab.jpg

Hi guys thank you for your replies. When I sent it to my artist he said it was just light scabbing that came off all at once with Dermalize and to keep moisturising rest of tattoo.

This is what it looks like today 7 days old, been out of Dermalize since Sunday morning (when previous pics taken) - I currently have tattoo goo original (green tin) and Hustle Butter Deluxe which one would you be using?

DB9EA513-B10C-4F3C-A6D1-68FAAA79D0CF.jpeg

38 minutes ago, shaunp94 said:

I’ve applied a small coating, tattoo feels a bit greasy and shiny. Also applied to flaking areas is this good or bad?

Hustle butter is amazing shit, I used it for the first time with the second session of my sleeve and it’s so moisturising and lasts for hours. If it’s greasy, I’d still be washing it 2-3 times a day. Shiny is normal... apply all over the tattoo (including flaking areas - totally normal). Don’t use a lot as mentioned by @oboogie that stuff, once warmed up in your hands, goes on like butter. 

when I used hustle butter I washed my hands thoroughly and then rubbed it in the palm of my hand and gently applied it to the tattoo. If you feel there’s excess, use a paper towel and dab it. 

Edited by Hollie

8 minutes ago, shaunp94 said:

What do you all think from the photos? Any damage done to the tattoo?

I’m by no means a professional and it’s way too early to tell.. mine scabbed like yours and mine healed fine (I had tegaderm on mine)... it also flaked exactly like yours... again, mine healed fine. I did lose some ink on my elbow but I don’t think that’s due to anything other than the fact it’s hard to keep ink there for some people.... give yourself at least two-three weeks and if you need any touch ups, I’m sure your artist will be able to recommend the next course of action. Looks good tho. Really well done tattoo. 

Edited by Hollie

It's my second tattoo I have Joaquin Phoenix as Joker on the other side, just my first time using dermalize, it heals a lot differently. Going by the internet there shouldn't have been any peeling really with dermalize just got myself a bit worried I think.

11 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Every tattoo does not heal exactly the same way. Don't drown it, just a light coating of whatever you use. I just use cocoa butter, no need for that expensive stuff. Complete waste of money, IMHO.

Yeah a lot of people have said that to me, originally I just used palmers cocoa butter but this time over panicked and bought a £20 tub of Hustle Butter which is just expensive cocoa butter aha, lesson learnt 🙂 

Edited by shaunp94

50 minutes ago, oboogie said:

I like Palmers, but I love the smell of Hustle Butter. That said, I've only bought it once because it lasts forever. You use such a small amount. To each their own.

Agreed. Hustle butter smells so good it’s almost edible... not sure how good it’d taste tho 😂. I used mine over my sleeve and I haven’t even touched half the jar. Guess it’s time for more 😆

40 minutes ago, Hollie said:

Agreed. Hustle butter smells so good it’s almost edible... not sure how good it’d taste tho 😂. I used mine over my sleeve and I haven’t even touched half the jar. Guess it’s time for more 😆

Exactly. It lasts so long that it probably ends up being cheaper, but some people just wanna use Palmer's, and that's cool. Just doesn't smell like you could eat it. 🤣

Update on healing: Been a week since I’ve removed Dermalize and was a bit worried. Seems to be healing alright looking at it. The nose area where it is shaded and right side of the hat (in picture) still seems really rough to touch and it’s a lot drier then the rest of the tattoo. I’ve been washing twice a day (quick wash morning and night) and applying a small amount of hustle butter 2-3 times daily. - any tips or idea of the rough/dry patches? Forgot my hustle butter today so whilst at work I’m going to have to use a bog standard Nivea moisturiser.

798A85D9-EC32-444F-B0D4-EF4560A6F6A1.jpeg

4CB3A1C3-1DD7-4FC4-A69B-A8910A5CA32F.jpeg

Edited by shaunp94
Getting dryer throughout day