Is this normal outline work

Mdk

Just got my first tattoo yesterday which is the beginning of a half sleeve Polynesian tribal. 

I am really disappointed in the quality of the line work. I was told it's just a temple for now and the shading will correct it. 

I checked out other work done by the artist and it looks fantastic, this just looks rushed, however, I don't know any better. 

Before I consider finding a new artist to try and fix it any thoughts would be great. 

D787-F329-6-E6-D-4-A18-BCAC-16932-CF86-D

6 hours ago, Mdk said:

Just got my first tattoo yesterday which is the beginning of a half sleeve Polynesian tribal. 

I am really disappointed in the quality of the line work. I was told it's just a temple for now and the shading will correct it. 

I checked out other work done by the artist and it looks fantastic, this just looks rushed, however, I don't know any better. 

Before I consider finding a new artist to try and fix it any thoughts would be great. 

ya I agree, that line work is pretty bad.

the design is not  good either,

sorry,but that's what I see,

don't go back to that guy.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Dan said:

ya I agree, that line work is pretty bad.

the design is not  good either,

sorry,but that's what I see,

don't go back to that guy.

Thank you for the reply, don't apologise I need honesty so I can take appropriate steps to get it sorted. 

I guess the question is can it be corrected during shading? 

There seems to be too many inconsistencies in the line art. 

While it follows the original design it doesn't look right and is a bit small for my arm. 

As I say other work looks great I don't understand what happened, it took around 2.5 hrs to complete the outline. 

2 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

MDK  - hey. I strongly suggest finding another artist. 

Thank you, I have made Contact with someone else to see if they can fix it of cover it. 

I queried the original artist and was told nothing was wrong, I won't be going back, it looks scribbled on and nothing like the original artwork the more I look at it. I am pretty disappointed... 

You can't "fix" this. Your artist lied to you,  shading doesn't correct a crooked line or fix a bad design. Your best bet is to find another artist. Don't just look at peoples work on line, people put up work they didn't do all the time. I wouldn't go to anyone without a personal recommendation from someone I know and trust.

1 hour ago, Hogrider said:

You can't "fix" this. Your artist lied to you,  shading doesn't correct a crooked line or fix a bad design. Your best bet is to find another artist. Don't just look at peoples work on line, people put up work they didn't do all the time. I wouldn't go to anyone without a personal recommendation from someone I know and trust.

Or they’ll put up work they carried out to perfection and miss out all the bad ones in between

Thank you all for your comments, it just affirms what I thought. 

I have sent pictures and the original design to another artist that has a good reputation locally, and a fairly long  waiting list, hopefully is a good sign. 

As much as it's disappointing I guess it's as much my own fault for not being more diligent. 

I have a day off tomorrow, I will see.if I can get a couple of consultations as well as what I have lined up already 

Don’t worry too much though mate, it isn’t that bad 🙂 I’ve seen far worse tattoos on friends of mine. I’ve only just started getting tattoos myself but people always told me if someone hasn’t got a long waiting list they aren’t in demand.

10 minutes ago, shaunp94 said:

Don’t worry too much though mate, it isn’t that bad 🙂 I’ve seen far worse tattoos on friends of mine. I’ve only just started getting tattoos myself but people always told me if someone hasn’t got a long waiting list they aren’t in demand.

Dude. Don't lie to him. It is AWFUL. It is badly done and amateurish. There isn't a straight line to be seen anywhere. All the damn shading in the world can't fix that horrible tattoo. 

12 minutes ago, oboogie said:

Dude. Don't lie to him. It is AWFUL. It is badly done and amateurish. There isn't a straight line to be seen anywhere. All the damn shading in the world can't fix that horrible tattoo. 

Completely agree but I’ve definitely seen a lot worse

This really upsets me. I’m originally from New Zealand so Polynesian and Maori tattoo designs are pretty close to my heart. I’m so sorry this guy fucked it up. I hope you find someone that can rectify his shitty work and be worn with pride & dignity. Keep us up dated with your progress. 

And no disrespect toward anyone but did the dude have Parkinson’s disease or something? The lines are so shaky and crooked it’s unreal - not trying to bash you cause I’m sure you’re upset as hell but at least you know now, while there’s still time to do something with it.. rather than it being a bigger mess. 

Thanks for the replies, I am pretty annoyed by it all, but gotta accept some responsibility myself. 

Considering getting it blacked out then white over the top to start fresh if I can't find anyone to fix it as it is. 

I agree with you all, there isn't one straight line the more I look at it... 

Off to see some people today will feed back and let you know how I go

6 hours ago, Mdk said:

Thanks for the replies, I am pretty annoyed by it all, but gotta accept some responsibility myself. 

Considering getting it blacked out then white over the top to start fresh if I can't find anyone to fix it as it is. 

I agree with you all, there isn't one straight line the more I look at it... 

Off to see some people today will feed back and let you know how I go

That won't work. Tattoos don't work like that. There are NO do-overs. Even getting it lasered doesn't completely remove it.

If someone suggests that, run Forrest, run!

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but you need to educate yourself on the tattoo process, the coverup process and the laser process.

4 hours ago, Hogrider said:

That won't work. Tattoos don't work like that. There are NO do-overs. Even getting it lasered doesn't completely remove it.

If someone suggests that, run Forrest, run!

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but you need to educate yourself on the tattoo process, the coverup process and the laser process.

Hey I am not offended in anyway, taking any and all advice i can 

Some good news, found a artist who will take the work on, I will have to accept a compromise on the original work. But he is going to extend it as a half sleeve and hide a lot of the inconsistencies. Estimated around 6-8 hrs work. 

It will be two sessions, first one will be the 14th after a cancellation opened up a slot. 

I was offered a full cover up, but it would be a very dark piece which I don't really want.

The original artist has now offered me a full refund, while it helps its still not a great situation. 

22 hours ago, SStu said:

post up a link to the new artist's work!

Here you go, not sure if I am allowed to link to websites 

I may not get in with this guy for 6 months, his father can get me in on the 14th so booked in then for a initial design work and extended consultation. 

His fathers work (bottom) is more traditional 

43-B11-C59-FF6-F-43-FD-9505-9-BA95-A4-C1

C3-E69461-AAB0-4-F93-9-C31-F2-F3-EECE51-

Edited by Mdk