Do sleeve tattoos need to be planned out?

DavidG

I am getting a 3/4 sleeve soon but I do eventually want to turn it into a full sleeve, should I plan a bigger design and make it a full uniform piece? or should I just do the 3/4 sleeve and wait until I have other projects to finish off the little remaing bit until my wrists?

I think it's whatever you're most comfortable with. Me personally, I only have a half sleeve. At the time, I never considered getting my whole arm done. But it's something I strongly consider now. I'd probably just go back to my artist when I'm ready and ask if he could work on something with me. I don't think it's that big of a deal. In hindsight, yeah, I guess I would have preferred planning it all out, but it's not the end of the world. 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, DavidG said:

I am getting a 3/4 sleeve soon but I do eventually want to turn it into a full sleeve, should I plan a bigger design and make it a full uniform piece? or should I just do the 3/4 sleeve and wait until I have other projects to finish off the little remaing bit until my wrists?

there are no rules, just do what ever YOU want , it's up to you if you want a sleeve of all the same style or like me, just get what moves you that month.

I have full leg & arm sleeves and I am a mess of many different styles and genres , and I wouldn't have it any other way.

all the above, and if you want to keep the option open - and the artist who is going to do the initial work might be your choice for future work as well - talk to him/her about it in advance. My half sleeve was done with that communication in advance and when the time comes that artist will be able to pick up where he left off years back. 

4 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Do you want it to look like one coherent piece, or two pieces? 

I was also given the option to have my theme a big full sleeve piece, but I opted out as I designed this knowing it will be a 3/4 sleeve.

I already told my artist as some have suggested that if or when I finish off for the full sleeve, that he will be the one to finish it. My artist agreed and said okay.

So to answer your question I havent thought about it, I guess I want it to just flow well with my 3/4 sleeve tattoo. In a way that would like like a full themed piece. 

Furthermore, do you suggest I hold of with the 3/4 sleeve, and replan it into a full sleeve to see how I can finish off the remainder bits? or it does not matter?

41 minutes ago, oboogie said:

True. I didn't know ahead of time.

You are proof that it works both ways!

When I responded I was thinking about my sleeves. Both were planned out before I started, but I've thought about a hand tattoo and they don't really lend themselves to extending down on to the hand, not that I don't think my artist could. It just would have probably been easier if I had said, you know, lets do this so if I ever get a hand tattoo, I'll have options.

10 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I'd just go ahead and get the full sleeve, but there is no reason you can't go ahead with the 3/4 sleeve and just design it so it can be turned into a full sleeve later.

Im just assuming one day I might want a full sleeve, but I came in planning for a 3/4 sleeve. Maybe one day Ill want a full sleeve - this is the mindset Im having. Do I wait until I have a whole design full sleeve piece. Or, do I just get my design and perhaps years later I might want a full sleeve and finish off the little bits?

I already know a lot of people once you get some type of sleeve, many times those people are finishing it off one day, getting full sleeves. Perhaps Ill be one of those? I mean the concept of a full sleeve is really nice too, its just out of my concept.

welcome to LST! 

i think it depends on what the subject matter is and how big the rest of the objects in the tattoo are going to be. If it's a buncha small things, then adding more small things to the last 1/4 is fine. If you're getting a huge dragon or tiger that takes up 3/4, adding something small in the last 1/4 might look like an afterthought. going for the full sleeve right off the bat allows the artist to plan and gain balance. then again, if you already know what you might get in that last 1/4, you might let the artist know your potential thoughts so that they can plan ahead in their minds to make it work well later.

care to share what you're thinking about getting and what artist will be doing the work? this thread currently has too many words and not enough pictures for my simple IG fed mind. 😃 

Edited by Hands On

4 hours ago, DavidG said:

Im just assuming one day I might want a full sleeve, but I came in planning for a 3/4 sleeve. Maybe one day Ill want a full sleeve - this is the mindset Im having. Do I wait until I have a whole design full sleeve piece. Or, do I just get my design and perhaps years later I might want a full sleeve and finish off the little bits?

I already know a lot of people once you get some type of sleeve, many times those people are finishing it off one day, getting full sleeves. Perhaps Ill be one of those? I mean the concept of a full sleeve is really nice too, its just out of my concept.

It works either way. I have big pieces. Both my sleeves and chest panels were planned out as were both my legs, which connect all the way up to my chest panels.. That's just one way to go. 

17 hours ago, Hands On said:

welcome to LST! 

i think it depends on what the subject matter is and how big the rest of the objects in the tattoo are going to be. If it's a buncha small things, then adding more small things to the last 1/4 is fine. If you're getting a huge dragon or tiger that takes up 3/4, adding something small in the last 1/4 might look like an afterthought. going for the full sleeve right off the bat allows the artist to plan and gain balance. then again, if you already know what you might get in that last 1/4, you might let the artist know your potential thoughts so that they can plan ahead in their minds to make it work well later.

care to share what you're thinking about getting and what artist will be doing the work? this thread currently has too many words and not enough pictures for my simple IG fed mind. 😃 

I am getting a pheonix with a sun and moon theme my artist is https://www.instagram.com/michaelperryart/?hl=en

4 hours ago, DavidG said:

I am getting a pheonix with a sun and moon theme my artist is https://www.instagram.com/michaelperryart/?hl=en

ok.. well it looks like you have no business asking us anything and should put your complete faith in Michael! 😅 from the look of his portfolio, you should have nothing to worry about.

my updated advice - go get tattooed as soon as possible (3/4, full sleeve, palm sized, full body, whatever!) then come back and some post some pics! 😁

6 minutes ago, Hands On said:

ok.. well it looks like you have no business asking us anything and should put your complete faith in Michael! 😅 from the look of his portfolio, you should have nothing to worry about.

my updated advice - go get tattooed as soon as possible (3/4, full sleeve, palm sized, full body, whatever!) then come back and some post some pics! 😁

Yeah, haha, he said he loves my idea and cant wait to get started. Im going to have a phone consultation with him soon!

4 hours ago, SStu said:

He looks quite capable, @DavidG. I'll be curious to see how a realism artist produces an imaginary creature, or are you bringing him artwork to reproduce?

Basically, he has full freedom of how he wants to do it, I just gave him certain qualities the pheonix should have and how it should look like.

My main request to him is, that a lot of his work other than like 3 artworks hes done looks very black which I dont like, but he has done a more "grey" tone, the way I like it.

These two photos is just amazing, so ill pretty much request it in those tones. other than that he has full freedom!