Tattooer forgot about me?

slayer9019

I always laugh when I see "best at ..." or anything related. At the shop he does have a bit more larger pieces than what is online (i think there are better in his physical portfolio than what is online). I checked out a few shops, but being as new to the subject as I am, I apparently went to all the "wrong" shops. Google was my friend and turned up a lot of garbage (places I walked in, then simple walked out). Only more recently have I found a few shops that are definitely in my lineup to go check out and most probably get more work done at. (To name a few Invisible NYC, Last Rites). The only problem I am finding with my current artist is lack of availability due to the shop being high volume. My roommate told me about his tattoo being done in an appointment only shop and said the experience was much smoother as there were less people milling around, and it was a more one-on-one situation (he is signed up currently to get a tattoo at NYC Invisible).

As for what I want to get from Toxyc is a bit hard to describe in words, but very much along his style. I heard somewhere he is around 300ish an hour, correct me if I am wrong.

I have work from Stefano at Last Rites, and as of last fall, all of the artists there (except for Paul Booth) were $225/hr. That's plus NYC sales tax and some obscure city tax. Of course, prices could have gone up since then. I'd love to see what you get from Toxyc. I've been thinking of getting work from him, but I'm worried it might be awkward going to someone else in the same shop. I've also been tattooed at Invisible (by Tim Hendricks when he was doing a guest spot) and it was great there too. It was a definite change of pace to go from being blasted with heavy metal and skulls staring at me, compared to Invisible's more relaxing environment. Of course, I was too busy crying while Tim went at my ribs to really pay attention :o . FWIW, I have Regino on my short list of potential future tattooers.

Ok, been thinking this over for a few days, and not wanting to start a screaming match, I think you really should be cautious. I am writing as someone who has had bad experiences in the past getting tattooed, as someone who has years of laser surgery ahead so that I can, for the most part start again, and as someone who has no experience as a tattoo artist.

The tattooer can be forgiven for forgetting about you, it happens to the best and it is no reflection on his artistic ability.

He can be forgiven for taking 6 hours to design what seems to be a pretty straightforward piece,you are the only one who knows what he really has in store for you.

But I am not sure he can be forgiven for charging what seems to me a huge amount, for very little line work.

I was in New Zealand, and got extensive tattoos by someone who was mentioned in many many books about tattooing, by someone who was respected and loved in the industry, and EVERY tattoo artist that sees the work scratches his/her head in amazement at the crap that I am left with.

You have already stated that you will not be using this artist again, so here is my advice.

As you are not 100% sure of his ability I would stop the process and get what you have removed. Its not a lot of work to start with, and as its black, you could get away with a 4 or 5 treatments.

I hope I have not offended you, but I would hate you to sit in 5 years and think that you were given bum advice on LST.

Tattoos are permanent, and even the most experienced tattoo enthusiast has a couple of tattoo regrets, but that's a HUGE chunk of skin to give over to someone you are unsure about.

He may be mistake for some mistakes, you have to decide how many he makes before it becomes unforgivable!

We have an artist in the shop who puts out good work, but he's alot slower than the others. Sometimes very very slow. If you're getting more than some script you can plan on being in our shop all day. He'll take 7 hours to do what the other artist will do in 3 or 4. Multiple smoke breaks and long food breaks add to his time. But each time his customers are happy with their finished product. And they come back to him, and refer him. There's that triangle for design: "Fast, Cheap, Good- pick two". Guess it just depends on your priorities.

Why do people ask these questions after getting tattooed???? Ask before putting permanent ink into your body!

Well I do have to say I was not that well informed until recently (I have read every post here and have been researching on my own). With all of the horrible, shit, backwards advice or knowledge that a lot of people have out there it is hard for someone that knows nothing to sort through the garbage. The world of tattooing and being tattooed is one that (at least to me and a lot of people I know) is very "mysterious".

To sum up this thread (since I do not care to return to it) I will sum up with a long-winded analogy. Which goes as follows:

It is easy to say "Wow what bad choices, wrong guy, wrong style ect. when you know the industry. I myself like I am sure a lot of customers are not well informed either through anti-tattoo propaganda, shitty references (dood my guy is DA BEST EVER!), and general secrecy around the industry itself.

To compare I will say this. I work in the computer industry, but not as 95% of the population knows it. For me to say to you "Wow you didn't know what a beowolf-cluster was? Holy moly you dont understand Change Management relating to business application impact modeling?!" would be similar to saying the quote above to someone who has little knowledge of the tattoo industry.

People like me need to be more informed. It is extremely overwhelming to go for that first tattoo (hell I've been trying for years) when you are thrown into a foreign world as I was. You not only do not know your options but sometimes get derailed by a few tough guys or bad timing!

As to bubbleberry, I do NOT regret my decision to get this piece done. I am not going to laser it off. I have stared at it day and night since I got it and am starting to like it a lot more. It may not be the greatest tattoo in history but it is a part of me now and I like it. The only tattoos I would have ever regretted would be the ones (thank god I didn't) I would have gotten when I was drawing on myself in middle-school high-school (mostly band logos and a cross [atheist now]).

Overall I am very happy at the information and advice I have seen or been given so far on LST and am extremely grateful for all of it (thanks everyone!). I feel much MUCH more informed in the area (by no means an expert) but love the art I have seen, and am so glad all you tattooers put in all that work to continue this amazing style of art! Also thank you whoever reads all of this, as it was a bit long-winded.

wow must suck to have a cross etched in your skin as an atheist

Haha, no I never actually got it done (luckily). I do know someone who got a full arm of "Only God Can Judge Me" and a lot of other religious symbols done, shortly after which he decided it was not for him. I had only drawn these on with markers for years, since my god-fearing mother would not let me get tattooed until I was no longer living with her.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you slayer ;) I meant it more in general. I totally understand being misinformed as I was once in the same boat and luckily stumbled into a good tattoo shop one day and as they say the rest is history.

It's just weird to me sometimes when people get the tattoo first and then start doing research about getting a tattoo. I assumed it would be the other way around now that the internet is so accessible in most places.

Also, I think if you like the tattoo that is all that really matters. I have some tattoos that other people don't like at all that I wouldn't get rid of. It's about feeling comfortable in your own skin, whatever that means. The best thing you can do is try and inform yourself and then just go with what feels right. The best way to find a good artist is to ask some people who's tattoos you really like. Most people have no problem telling you where they get their tattoos.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you slayer ;) I meant it more in general. I totally understand being misinformed as I was once in the same boat and luckily stumbled into a good tattoo shop one day and as they say the rest is history.

It's just weird to me sometimes when people get the tattoo first and then start doing research about getting a tattoo. I assumed it would be the other way around now that the internet is so accessible in most places.

Also, I think if you like the tattoo that is all that really matters. I have some tattoos that other people don't like at all that I wouldn't get rid of. It's about feeling comfortable in your own skin, whatever that means. The best thing you can do is try and inform yourself and then just go with what feels right. The best way to find a good artist is to ask some people who's tattoos you really like. Most people have no problem telling you where they get their tattoos.

I understand you weren't trying to be an asshole, I was just responding as a spokesman for the generally misinformed masses. No matter what you are a master of now you were once naive and ill-educated in the beginning; something I feel everyone forgets from time to time. This I feel is universally human in nature.

As to my current and future tattoos, they are already making me feel more comfortable in my own skin for the first time. Weird as it may sound to some but I would be more at ease looking at a skull and demons on my skin then the bare skin itself.

Happens to me all the time. If you reminded him and you still have a few days I wouldnt worry. I know its your tattoo and a huge deal for you but remember your artist is most likely doing 3 to 5 people a day. All of them getting a very important tattoo. It is possible to need to be reminded once in a while.

No matter what you are a master of now you were once naive and ill-educated in the beginning; something I feel everyone forgets from time to time.

TRUE STATEMENT. You also lost me at "computer"... but I'm glad you've actually been able to start poking around and getting a feel for what's out there. If you're happy with your tattoo (and I didn't see the photos) then that's what matters. Get it done and hopefully it'll lead to many more. And dude, there are few better places to be than in NY. If there's not someone here you want to get tattooed by then chances are, they'll come through town at some point. Happy to see your enthusiasm!