Best way to contact an artist

chrislj54

Hey I was wondering what is the best way to contact an artist as a prospective client by phone, email or another way? I have attempted to get a hold of a few artists to see if they would be willing to take me on as a client in the future. So far I haven't gotten any replies.

I am trying to save and figure out logistics involved like scheduling vacation, plane tickets etc. I guess I am looking for suggestions. I know some of the artists I have contacted are really busy. I figured that email would be a safe bet as I feel a little dumb calling and taking to someone about a future tattoo. I would like to get an idea if the artist is willing to work with me and the rate so I can start to get a ball park idea of hours and cost involved. Looking for opinions thanks.

never EVER feel dumb for calling, these tattoo artists will usually be paying the wages of the kid that answers the phone. this is to minimize having to sit at home in the evening using up their wind down time answering emails.

that's certainly me, and anyway, some of my receptionists know more about my schedule than me and are way more eloquent than me at answering questions. personally I'm done with emails and do everything through frith street, it's amazing how much time replying to emails sucks out of your day off/evenings.

if you phone and then they explain that said artist prefers email conversations, then there's your answer!

That's why we have a phone at the shop.

I hate answering emails. Well, I hate answering the phone too, but someone gets paid to do that for me.

Your question will probably be answered within minutes if you call. Days, weeks or never if you email.

Although some tattooers prefer email. I agree with CaptCanada, check their website. If there's a phone number call it.

never EVER feel dumb for calling, these tattoo artists will usually be paying the wages of the kid that answers the phone. this is to minimize having to sit at home in the evening using up their wind down time answering emails.

that's certainly me, and anyway, some of my receptionists know more about my schedule than me and are way more eloquent than me at answering questions. personally I'm done with emails and do everything through frith street, it's amazing how much time replying to emails sucks out of your day off/evenings.

if you phone and then they explain that said artist prefers email conversations, then there's your answer!

Thats good to know, I have emailed first and waited till told to call, this is mainly because of time difference and not knowing preference.

Chris O'Donnell, Rodney Raines. How far out do the appointment books go in the future? Does it depend on artist or shop? I am also wondering, I know some artist post it on their websites but when is an appropriate time to talk about price or estimated time involved.

Chris O'Donnell, Rodney Raines. How far out do the appointment books go in the future? Does it depend on artist or shop? I am also wondering, I know some artist post it on their websites but when is an appropriate time to talk about price or estimated time involved.

It really depends on the artist, some artists are booked for a long time because they may just do huge scale work, some artists are booked up to 6 months, because they have steady clients coming in to get vary sized tattoos. I know that O'donnel does a fair share of large scale work and 1 shot pieces, I wouldn't be surprised if his wait is a few months to 6 months. He does great tattoos! Here is is his wordpress I like to read when he updates it.

CHRIS O'DONNELL/ SAVED TATTOO

hope this helps.

I know some artist post it on their websites but when is an appropriate time to talk about price or estimated time involved.

If money is an issue you should bring it up in the first convo by telling them what your budget is, or asking how much it will be so you can be prepared. don't be afraid to tell a tattooer what your budget is if you have one because it makes their job a lot easier in the end..

i think money should always be discussed before any bookings are made. this is a business transaction after all, like getting all excited by some beautiful alligator skin stiletto heels, running to the cash point without checking the price tag and and having your eager heart broken cos they were $3000. im sure there's some sort of analogy that would suit guys better but hey...

i can tell you that most tattooers i know HATE emails regarding scheduling appointments.

the best way to set an appt. up is to call the shop. but thats only if you have to travel to see the artist. if you live in the same city, pay them a visit.

ive traveled 2000 miles to get tattooed several times. it bugs the shit outta me when somebody emails and thinks they dont have the time to come in for a visit cuz they live 20 minutes away. if you are too lazy to visit for consultation, im too lazy to tattoo you.

I know many tattooers who hate receiving emails, too. I think sometimes an email can be beneficial to explain fully what you're after, especially if when you call someone else is picking up the phone, but I would ask if it's okay to email them, first, just to be polite. I don't think you'd really have to do that though, unless you wanted to send something for reference or had a fairly complex idea.

just curious about the folks that don't like email but are paying someone to answer the phones, couldn't they also handle emails regarding appointments rather than giving out your personal email? just a thought.

Well, they could do, but you have to bear in mind that those who are answering the phones are also taking appointments, running errands, keeping the place tidy and so on. If it's a busy studio, I don't think many would want to give them yet another task while they're already run off their feet. At least if you're on the phone you can quietly hand out consent forms and tidy up while you're doing that.

The tattooers I work for seem to prefer people come in to the shop and talk with them if they want to get tattooed. While a person might have to wait a few minutes if the tattooer is in the middle of a tattoo but we are never to busy to take a few minutes to discuss a tattoo with a client. If someone calls on the phone I tell them to come in and the general rule is no appointments over the phone unless someone is traveling from out of town and email might as well be a four letter word. I guess the general feeling on our end is a lot of people are just price shopping every shop in the area and its really hard to price a tattoo that someone is describing to you over the phone and usually I end up quoting it too low so I don't do it. I will give people a general ball park figure of price but tell them that final price depends on what the final drawing looks like and whether it requires multiple sittings.

I booked an appointment out of town recently and didn't get a response from phone call but found an email address on the tattooers website and he responded to me within five minutes and got the appointment booked and all went well so I think you really just have to feel each person out and be persistent but not pushy.