Do I have to like an artists full portfolio?

MirrorxOfxMind

I found an artist that clicks really well with me and is very interested in taking on my tattoo project... my big concern is that I only like about 3-4 photos in his portfolio and the rest are pretty "bad" to me. I have reached out to a few other artists but hes the only one who truly loved my ideas and wants to bring my dream to reality which is a plus but that I only like a few images out of his like 100+ pictures on his portfolio on instagram. Those 3-4 photos I will say look really good to me, like better than all the artists that I contacted. It just that his inconsistency to produce the kinds of tattoos I like that he did is putting fear into me that getting my tattoo done by him will not be something I like. Or maybe this is how its supposed to be, for example, do I have to like an artist full portfolio? or do I just need to like atleast 1-2 to know that he can do what I want. 

Looking for advice on where to go from here, thanks!

my initial question would be = are the other images "bad" because of subject matter, style or execution? Lots of artists work in more than 1 style - that's versatility. Subject matter is most often up to the canvas. If the other photos show poor application, poor linework or poor artistic choices then you'd be taking a huge gamble that this person is going to show up just the way you want them to on the day you're sitting in front of them. Some dirtbags even put other artist's work in their own portfolios. Consistency is very important. 

2 hours ago, SStu said:

If the other photos show poor application, poor linework or poor artistic choices then you'd be taking a huge gamble that this person is going to show up just the way you want them to on the day you're sitting in front of them. Some dirtbags even put other artist's work in their own portfolios. Consistency is very important. 

Agree with SStu 100% here:  
The "best" artists that I like to follow will take subject material I never would normally consider (Hori Benny is first to mind for me here), and make me go "yeah okay, I'd totally get that".

If you're leaning towards this artist because they're the only one that's gone along with your idea, maybe you just need to further clarify or present it in a different manner.  It won't always be the case the artists will be super excited (after all they're doing nothing but tattooing random ideas day in & out), but if they can apply their creativity to bring your idea to life is the most important aspect.

3 hours ago, SStu said:

my initial question would be = are the other images "bad" because of subject matter, style or execution? Lots of artists work in more than 1 style - that's versatility. Subject matter is most often up to the canvas. If the other photos show poor application, poor linework or poor artistic choices then you'd be taking a huge gamble that this person is going to show up just the way you want them to on the day you're sitting in front of them. Some dirtbags even put other artist's work in their own portfolios. Consistency is very important. 

In no picture do i see poor linework or poor application, its the style he does in most of his pictures not being what I want, or in some the style in his black and grey come out very dark (I like a more lighter black and grey).

45 minutes ago, SJP0tato said:

Agree with SStu 100% here:  
The "best" artists that I like to follow will take subject material I never would normally consider (Hori Benny is first to mind for me here), and make me go "yeah okay, I'd totally get that".

If you're leaning towards this artist because they're the only one that's gone along with your idea, maybe you just need to further clarify or present it in a different manner.  It won't always be the case the artists will be super excited (after all they're doing nothing but tattooing random ideas day in & out), but if they can apply their creativity to bring your idea to life is the most important aspect.

I like him because the tattos I do like on his portfolio look better than any tattoo I found globally. As a side bonus he loved my project too!

7 hours ago, MirrorxOfxMind said:

In no picture do i see poor linework or poor application, its the style he does in most of his pictures not being what I want, or in some the style in his black and grey come out very dark (I like a more lighter black and grey).

I like him because the tattos I do like on his portfolio look better than any tattoo I found globally. As a side bonus he loved my project too!

Maybe as part of the design you can ask him to make sure to keep yours lighter and have the best of all worlds.  As long as you let him know upfront your preferences, he should be able to accommodate to achieve what you're looking for I bet.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

20 hours ago, MirrorxOfxMind said:

Cool. Let's see a link to his portfolio!

Okay so basically, I made a post here asking how I should plan my sleeve out, but now im running into another issue and I hope you guys can help me.

This is the artist https://www.instagram.com/michaelperryart/ that I wanted he did these pieces that I love. 

These pictures above, the tattoos are just amazing!

Now the rest of his portfolio is like this

with designs I dont like at all..

or...

Do you guys see how dark these two images are compared to the first 4 good tattoos I liked?

Given all that information, (and also you are free to look through his portfolio) should I go ahead and book the consult?

Absolutely. That's precisely what the consult is for. You bring your needs and desires to the table (including references like the above, along with potential images you'd like reproduced) and the two of you discuss the possibilities. Diplomatically describe what you prefer out of his general body of work. 

That being said - the lighter your tattoo starts out the even lighter it's going to be years from now. Contrast now will show image definition much better as the tattoo ages. 

Looks like a couple of the lighter ones are healed (or at least partially healed). 
They'll always appear super dark initially, but mellow once healed.
shading in black so you don't come back!
I think his work is pretty solid!

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 Pro mediante Tapatalk