Seeking help with art for commemorative tattoo

alanstucin7

Hi there guys and girls.

I'm 31 years old guy from Slovenia.

Let me share my short story with you. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo for about 10 years, but I think there must be some significant meaning about tattoo you get. All those years I was thinking about what kind the motive and symbolism of the tattoo I would get and I almost decided to get a dream catcher.

Few weeks ago my 23 years old brother took his own life and I think now is perfect time to get my first tattoo, to honour him. After going through his stuff in his car the first thing I noticed, was a dream catcher hanging on the mirror. I feel like that was a sign and a confirmation that a dream catcher has some significance and is the right thing to get. After talking to his girlfriend, she mentioned that they did plan to get matching lizard tattoos. And I think that a combination of a dream catcher-lizard would be a perfect combination to commemorate him by.

I need help with combining those two motives to result in decent art. If anyone has will and time to present me with some ideas or sketches I would greatly appreciate it. I am adding a picture of a dream catcher and lizard motives that he and his girlfriend were considering. I would also be interested if you could point me toward some good tattoo artists in my region (Slovenia and countries close by). Thanks again taking the time.

dc.jpg

dc1.jpg

dc2.jpg

I am very sorry about your brother.

Tattoos don't have to mean anything (mine don 't—I just get tattoos I like), but if you want to memorialize our brother, I'd research artists in your area, share your story when you find a good artist, and ask for ideas. The dreamcatcher has become a bit of a cheesy tattoo over the years, but if that's what you want, talk to an artist about it. They can help you come up with something.

Yes. Sorry about your brother. 

The tattoo is going to remind you of him regardless of what image you ultimately settle on, so the subject matter isn't really that important to the reasoning. 

In the US, dreamcatchers have reached a cliche status. Not sure how they are viewed in the tattoo world in Slovenia. In my mind a lizard is a way more interesting image - but this isn't my tattoo, either. 

Your emphasis should be picking the right artist. There are numerous threads here that go over the do's and don'ts on that subject. Check them out and post us a link to the tattooist you intend to go with.