Hello Again!

Zer0

Hi guys! 

I'm here initiating again. Since I'm allowed to start a new thread only in this section here I am.

So basically I got tattoed for the first time 8 months ago, I've posted my healing tattoo process and everything went fine (thanks to some advices I found here too). 

Now, I'm thinking to continue my first tattoo adding some more stuff (I would love to have my full sleeve tattoed), so the next step will be... the shoulder!

I would love to get a tattoo that remind me of nature, forest and other stuff like that, continuing toward realism style. I wasn thinking on a woman portrait with some nature-related things (trees, animals etc). Since my tattoer doesn't want to tattoo a woman portrait with a tiger/lion/wolf headdress because "It is too common", I would love to ask some suggestions. He thought about a woman with horns, bones necklace, face-painting etc, and I was wondering about some other stuffs too. Here is my tattoo (The top of it unfortunately has lost some black, my dog scratched me while it was healing, so I have to fix it in the meantime). 
IMG_20200922_122716.thumb.jpg.8e4ee99e5b83494c40c26b4c93d0ee40.jpg

And those are some examples I like to (of course I'm not tattoing something that already "exists").examples.thumb.png.49e97974928f6d9e76d70115fe1f92d6.png

Edited by Zer0

6 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

I'd get a new artist that IS interested in tattooing what I want.

You got me wrong actually. He didn't mean that he doesn't want to tattoo what do I want. As long as I said "Woman portrait" he joked about the one with the head dress but I never wanted it LOL. It was a mistake by me writing down that sentence in that way, I apologize for that (my english is not good so yeah, here we go.). 

Thank you about the 10 posts. 

Edited by Zer0

To me this is the most fun part of the process:

It sounds like your artist knows what they're doing and has skills.   
You sound like you've got some ideas on what direction to take things, but nothing super specific yet.

What I do (the fun part) is come up with a list of wants:  "It needs to have a woman, and I want it to be a portrait or full body or whatever",  "I want her to be sitting/standing/holding something". 

And then things I don't want: "I don't want her to appear angry/happy/smiling", "I don't want her to be in a forest"

Usually you can draw a lot of inspiration by looking up other tattoos, and including the things you like/dislike about them into your own ideas.  Trim the lists down to something reasonable for your artist, and then let them implement it in a way they think is best.

It's usually a total surprise until you get to the studio, but if you did a good job defining what you want, the artist should encompass a good portion of it in their own style in a way that they know will work.  Showing up day of and seeing what they've come up with is the best part.

Edited by SJP0tato

He's a good artist... your concepts are all in the same vein... except the dryad girl which is a different direction.

They aren't anything like what he was suggesting though.

These also aren't what I'd think of initially when thinking of woman portraits... they are more surreal than what people commonly ask for.  Makes me wonder if you showed them to him yet?

I'd give them to the artist, tell them a few things that you like and things you don't like about them... and put down a deposit so that he can start drawing.

57 minutes ago, Syntheticfish said:

He's a good artist... your concepts are all in the same vein... except the dryad girl which is a different direction.

They aren't anything like what he was suggesting though.

These also aren't what I'd think of initially when thinking of woman portraits... they are more surreal than what people commonly ask for.  Makes me wonder if you showed them to him yet?

I'd give them to the artist, tell them a few things that you like and things you don't like about them... and put down a deposit so that he can start drawing.

You know, while I was getting tattoed we spoke about the full sleeve, since I've started with the idea to get it done (not in a short amount of time because due work my week is full) and he just said something about the druid girl. But we haven't any conversation about it anymore so it was kinda a flash instead of something wanted. 

Then here COVID-19 came and we used to stay in lockdown per 2 months and just now tattoo studios opened (like one/2months ago) and I have to find a window of time where I can contact him. So basically nothing has started yet :) 

14 hours ago, SJP0tato said:

To me this is the most fun part of the process:

It sounds like your artist knows what they're doing and has skills.   
You sound like you've got some ideas on what direction to take things, but nothing super specific yet.

What I do (the fun part) is come up with a list of wants:  "It needs to have a woman, and I want it to be a portrait or full body or whatever",  "I want her to be sitting/standing/holding something". 

And then things I don't want: "I don't want her to appear angry/happy/smiling", "I don't want her to be in a forest"

Usually you can draw a lot of inspiration by looking up other tattoos, and including the things you like/dislike about them into your own ideas.  Trim the lists down to something reasonable for your artist, and then let them implement it in a way they think is best.

It's usually a total surprise until you get to the studio, but if you did a good job defining what you want, the artist should encompass a good portion of it in their own style in a way that they know will work.  Showing up day of and seeing what they've come up with is the best part.

This is what actually happened with the wolf. I went him saying "I want the face of a wolf here" and he did all the rest, surprising me with that moon etc so I was kinda surprised with the final effect because it wasn't what I exceptecd but It was what I wanted without even telling him the background. 

It sounds weird but I gave him "free hands" and imho the result is stunning. So basically I would find the main subject (woman) and the background which suits the wolf (forest etc.). So I wanted to research something in terms of what I have in mind. But still, I will contact him for sure as long as we both have time to spare, finding what I like the most/suit the best

On 9/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, Zer0 said:

It sounds weird but I gave him "free hands" and imho the result is stunning. So basically I would find the main subject (woman) and the background which suits the wolf (forest etc.). So I wanted to research something in terms of what I have in mind. But still, I will contact him for sure as long as we both have time to spare, finding what I like the most/suit the best

It's a good concept... involve him in the conversation, he's doing the piece  and he did the wolf for you... I wouldn't limit him by showing only one design you like, but tell him which you like best... next to the others... you'll get a better, more original piece that way.

Edited by Syntheticfish
No text