Tattoo Blow Out Advice (I’m a newbie, go easy on me;))

inkedprincess14

Hey guys! 

I decided to make an account on here to post to see if I could also get some of your wonderful advice, I've seen a lot of really helpful stuff on here so hoped I could get the same potentially. 
I have a fair few tattoos, slowly making my way to being inked head to toe, ive had minor blow outs, lines going a lil fuzzy and things! Nothing really major enough to bother me. However I got this tattoo a month ago by the same tattooist I go to frequently, I will say, I have had a TINY amount of halo on my last two tattoos by her but its always gone away or been so minor, its never bothered me. 

but in regards to the one on my inner arm, its really triggering my ocd, its hard to photo and doesnt look too bad from my perspective, but in the mirror and from a distant it looks super bruised! 
i have never had a blue halo effect this far from a tattoo before

They offered to fix it but to be quite honest, I am super hesitant to add anymore to it or “try” fix it incase it happens again and worse. 

I was going to leave it until its PROPERLY healed, so around 4-6 months to see if it goes away, what are your guys experiences with things like this? I know everyones different but is there a good chance in time this will fade

As I think if it doesnt get any better I may explore tattooing just around the edges or covering it. 

I look forward to picking your brains 😛

Edited by inkedprincess14

You can’t “fix” a blowout. You can’t, you can’t, you can’t. A blowout is ink that has spread under your skin. You can’t vacuum it out. How exactly does she say she’s going to fix it?

blowouts happen, especially on thin skin, like your inner bicep.

Your smart to wait. I’ve seen people go from bad to worse to even worse trying to fix something.

Edited by Hogrider

Hi there!

This is a step further than a blowout, called ink migration. It has possibly spread far into some fat cells. As with a blowout, it can happen more frequently in thin skinned areas. The risk is also increased when on any kind of blood thinner before the tattoo.

It’s not something that can be easily fixed, unless you get colour added especially over the blurry halo area, I’d only think getting watercolor style colouring would work with this design but it’s not for everyone.

I’ve seen some success from laser removal, just in the halo area (they don’t need to touch the tattoo!) but besides these options I’m not sure how your artist will fix this.

It’s unfortunate, and there are many reasons why it could have happened, the main would be needle depth versus skin thickness so hopefully your artist can learn from this.

good luck!

Hey guys! Thank you for the replies. I agree, I wasn't sure this was something that could be “fixed” and understandably I have no intention of letting her tattoo around it given this has happened. I can already see the attempted fix just having the same issue and becoming worse and worse and worse. 

i was planning on just leaving it and eventually just having more tattoos on my arm, around the halo area by another artist. I think its so prominent as its one of only two tattoos on that arm currently. 

I also spoke to another friend who owns a shop and has been tattooing for 20+ years and it was suggested if it doesnt go away after several months, a few laser sessions around it and then potentially another tattoo around that one would help. 

like I said, think half the issue for me is the fact its the only one on my inner arm, dont think ill care as much once I have a sleeve. One she did on my leg has kinda done the same but you cant notice it as much. 

its a shame! Truly but shit happens, could always be worse.... could have a wang eyed tiger across my chest I suppose

I don't think lasers are going to do anything to a blowout. Even tattoo artists who have 20 years of experience don't always know what they are talking about.

I had a small blowout on my left sleeve on a very thin, sensitive part of my arm. My artist just covered it up with with filler when the whole arm was finished. There are ways around it, although that is A LOT of blowout.

Found this which was quite reassuring, an instance where a laser has successfully helped. 

Also this was fairly informative. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47728232_Blue_Foot_A_Second_Case_of_Tattoo_Blow-out_Pigment_Spread_Successfully_Treated_With_the_QS-NdYAG_Laser

Ive found things saying it will help, things saying it wont. Truly there is only one way to find out

like I said, ill just have it tattooed by someone else if not. Its still nothing I dont feel can be resolved one way or another. 

oh no;) an excuse for more tattoos

id like to keep this updated though as maybe someone else will have the same problem as me and be desperately looking for answers. 

ill keep everyone posted with what works and what doesnt. 

18 hours ago, inkedprincess14 said:

Found this which was quite reassuring, an instance where a laser has successfully helped. 

like I said, ill just have it tattooed by someone else if not. Its still nothing I dont feel can be resolved one way or another. 

oh no;) an excuse for more tattoos

773B2B4C-3B9F-45F0-9140-83F157E91ECD.jpeg

This doesn't really show anything except that the skin around the tattoo is red from the lasering, which in itself would hide the blow out. They would have to wait and show it after the skin settled down in order to prove anything. The fact that they didn't leads me to believe that it didn't look so great when healed.

Good luck, lasering is expensive and painful. I'd be really careful about getting it. I also wouldn't put to much into what an abstract says. The devil is in the details.

35 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

This doesn't really show anything except that the skin around the tattoo is red from the lasering, which in itself would hide the blow out. They would have to wait and show it after the skin settled down in order to prove anything. The fact that they didn't leads me to believe that it didn't look so great when healed.

Good luck, lasering is expensive and painful. I'd be really careful about getting it. I also wouldn't put to much into what an abstract says. The devil is in the details.

What @Hogrider said. Blowouts have happened forever. That photo is meaningless and appears to be complete horsesh*t. Just get more tattoos from someone else and stop obsessing.

I knew that would be the response immediately after I posted the photo, as there is a fair amount of redness... theres far more photos that suggest otherwise in different cases. 
I cant necessarily say I’m as dismissive of the laser working. There is A LOT of stuff that is suggesting otherwise. I feel no matter what I put on this thread in regards to lasering, your guys minds are made up in regards to that topic and thats completely fine. 

but as I keep saying, I’m also exploring covering with another tattoo or more tattoos around it. Ive already got a tattoo plan. 

I appreciate the opinions and advice regardless, as stated previously, I am hoping to update with my proper outcome in several months. 

Chances are I will just have more tattoos because can I be arsed to even try a laser with the cost of it? Possibly not. 

913B080F-66A4-452F-8EBF-52965A935232.jpeg

8EEF9CCE-799A-4CE6-AF39-D99AF925FC70.jpeg

2C2E0FE0-233C-4016-B29F-737DCF45F114.jpeg