Getting a cover up =)

Queen Rocks

Getting one of my tattoos covered up in a couple of months. I've never been truly happy with my Freddie Mercury tribute and decided to finally do something about it. I was expecting my artist (who has done work on me before) to tell me I need to fade the tattoo with laser treatment, but he actually said I might be able to get away without it. After my consultation I'm feeling pretty good about it! But would be curious to hear thoughts or ideas from the community.

Here's what I'm getting covered:

Image may contain: one or more people

And here was a very rough sketch that my artist doodled on his iPad.

Image may contain: 1 person

Which is based on this classic Freddie look:

Leadership lessons from the legend- Freddie Mercury - NHRDN - Mumbai Chapter

He told me he'll be working on this and other ideas and will get back to me with some designs within the next couple weeks or so. So what do you guys think? Any comments and/or suggestions?

Obviously, I'm willing to do laser if necessary. But I want to see what he comes up with first. 

If anyone wants to check out some of his work, click here.

Edited by Queen Rocks

1 hour ago, SStu said:

Looks to be a good idea, to me. The artist looks to be quite capable and has done some pretty damn good portraits, too. 

Thanks! Yes, I agree. He does some nice portrait work. I like this one he did of Jeff Goldblum a lot.

And this also won't be his first Freddie. So I know I'm in good hands. 🙂

God knows I've seen some awful portraits. 

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd give an update.

My artist shared with me a couple of concepts (not sure it'd be appropriate to share out of respect) and they look sweet but it became more apparent to me that laser was the way to go. The old tattoo makes it very difficult to position Freddie's face without some of the lettering showing up. So I had my first laser session on January 20th. Painful as F***. Thank God it only lasted 90 seconds. I see a very faint difference right now, but I'm aware this will take a lot of time and patience to get the desired results. My artist says I'll probably need 3-4 sessions which pushes my new tattoo to sometime in the late summer or fall. What a bummer! I was so looking forward to getting my new ink. But I know it'll be worth it in the end.

Noticed the above pics broke. Here's what I'm getting covered.

72912638_10157723603394628_3232170951340720128_o.jpg

Edited by Queen Rocks

• 10 months later...

Quick update!

I've had 5 removal sessions and I think I'm finally ready to get the cover up. I must say that the time has really flown. And hands down laser removal is way worse than getting inked. But luckily I had a super awesome guy who was an absolute blast to work with. He was very knowledgeable and made the whole experience better than bearable. I actually looked forward to the sessions and will miss his studio!

Here's a rough sketch of what's being considered. This was my artist's original concept before we even talked about removal. So I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll be able to be more flexible with the design. I'm really in love with the look of it though. Any thoughts?

May be art of one or more people and tattoo

Initially, he talked about still using the old Freddie Mercury in the new design...but I'm thinking something more like stage lights. His suggestion feels a bit too cheesy for me, though I understand why he brought it up as an option. If any one has a suggestion or idea, I'm all ears. Honestly, I'd like to see his head move up slightly (which might be possible after the removal process?). But I've also been told it's good placement as is. 

Regardless, I'm pretty excited. I have an appointment for January.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, SStu said:

I was assuming you'd follow up with something above/inclusive. 

Of course. Whether it stays where it is in the pic or if I'm able to move it up a bit there will be something above his head. Again, I'm thinking stage lights most likely. Just trying to determine if I like the placement.