Painful after 2 weeks

100nettie

Hi everyone,

I'm 53 years old and have been getting tattooed since I was 18.  I recently went and had my 68th tattoo done by my regular tattooist. I sat for 7 hours, and had most of my calf done.  He's done plenty of tattoos on me before, and sitting for 7 hours is nothing new to me.  However, I really struggled with this one, especially the area nearest to the heel. I've never known a more painful tattoo, and nearly stopped him two or three times.  But I got through it.  Problem is, it's healed great at the top, but the bit nearest the heel is still leaking plasma 2 weeks later and is, well, mushy.  And the pain is incredible, especially when I stand up.  It feels like it's burning and stinging, even when at rest, and my foot and ankle are incredibly swollen.  I've seen my doctor, who doesn't think it's infected because it's not hot or red, and I feel fine in myself, but has given me antibiotics just in case.  I've been on them for four days now, and there's no difference.  My tattooist is closed over the Christmas break.  I'm at a loss as to why this tattoo is not healing and why it's so incredibly painful two weeks later?

It's thin delicate skin, just about as far away from the heart as possible. Leg tattoos can be hard to heal, especially if you won't or can't stay off your feet. I'm NOT a doctor, but if it was me I would prop my foot up as much as possible and put a cold pack on it for 15 minutes at a time every couple of hours. I'd also be taking Advil every 4 hours. I'd call your doctor back.

Edited by Hogrider

Yep. I got both my legs and feet done after I was beyond 50. The farther away you get from the heart and basic muscle the tougher it is to get to the healed stage. If your doctor says it looks ok and your blood pressure is normal for you you're just going to have to tough it out.