Healing red

cmk1987

Hey guys, quick question. I recently had a large section of my back piece filled in solid red. Two weeks in, the other colors used in the session have peeled and are totally fine. The red looks super “leathery” and very itchy. No pain. Any thoughts or is this to be expected with this much red?

I can only speak from my personal and limited experience. My latest tattoo had red, but only very little (about the size of a jelly bean). It didn't take to my skin as well as the other colors...it faded and looked leathery (though I would describe mine as more murky or greyed out). Very peculiar, but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed with another quick session. Like ezh said, red ink can be more touchy than other colors, but it depends on the person's skin. Since it's only been two weeks, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Give yourself another 2 - 4 weeks to heal, at which point you'll be in a better position to make a fair assessment. Touch ups are usually free and I'm sure if your artist is good at his job he/she will do everything they can to make it look awesome -- after all, they have a reputation to uphold. 😉

Edited by Queen Rocks

Yes I have other pieces with red and they’ve healed fine. This is a huge section of solid red though, so maybe that’s what’s going on. It’s odd. Incredibly itchy and literally feels like leather. I’ll just have to wait a couple more weeks. Could just be super slow to heal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, Queen Rocks said:

I can only speak from my personal and limited experience. My latest tattoo had red, but only very little (about the size of a jelly bean). It didn't take to my skin as well as the other colors...it faded and looked leathery (though I would describe mine as more murky or greyed out). Very peculiar, but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed with another quick session. Like ezh said, red ink can be more touchy than other colors, but it depends on the person's skin. Since it's only been two weeks, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Give yourself another 2 - 4 weeks to heal, at which point you'll be in a better position to make a fair assessment. Touch ups are usually free and I'm sure if your artist is good at his job he/she will do everything they can to make it look awesome -- after all, they have a reputation to uphold. 😉

Hi Queen Rocks; so would you use red again, or would you avoid it?