Tattoo Machine Secrets

do you really want to learn the "secrets" of a tattoo machine from a DVD? honestly, those "secrets" exist for a reason, and are best kept to those who get their hands dirty building them. if you, or your wife, or whoever wants to know about the different parts of a machine, it's probably best to ask in person, to an artist you know or trust(or in the case of your wife, to the person/shop who's apprenticing her). and if it's about maintenance, i'm sure those who have actually made the machine can give you tips on how to best clean and take care of it.

learning anything about tattooing from a dvd or online course feels a bit like replying to one of those ad's that used to be on the back of MAD magazine, where you could enter a drawing test to win free drawing lessons and a certificate stating you won. just because you can draw cartoon bear or turtle doesn't make you an artist.

i'm sure others will chime in on this.

do you really want to learn the "secrets" of a tattoo machine from a DVD? honestly, those "secrets" exist for a reason, and are best kept to those who get their hands dirty building them. if you, or your wife, or whoever wants to know about the different parts of a machine, it's probably best to ask in person, to an artist you know or trust(or in the case of your wife, to the person/shop who's apprenticing her). and if it's about maintenance, i'm sure those who have actually made the machine can give you tips on how to best clean and take care of it.

learning anything about tattooing from a dvd or online course feels a bit like replying to one of those ad's that used to be on the back of MAD magazine, where you could enter a drawing test to win free drawing lessons and a certificate stating you won. just because you can draw cartoon bear or turtle doesn't make you an artist.

i'm sure others will chime in on this.

just because you can draw cartoon bear or turtle doesn't make you an artist. i'm sure others will chime in on this.

I have no intention of being an artist, and while I understand your logic, I am not sure I agree.

In high school half the kids had nasty home made tattoos, some with good old indian ink and needles, some with more complicated contraptions using bits of door bells or toothbrushes. Despite the title, there is little secret about the majority of tattoo guns, but none the less, as my wife gets into her training I find myself more and more intrested in the mechanics of the machine.

If I can take apart cars and scooters using a manual I can do the same with a tattoo machine.

Why do people feel the need to be smart asses about everything? ..... Anyone fancy answering the original question ?

I thought I did answer the original question.

Almost every thread you've started here didn't need to be posted. 5 minutes of thought would have answered your own question.

There's an 'old' saying regarding people who constantly make 'controversial' threads and posts on internet forums. "Do not feed the trolls"

Do you realise that one of the founders of this site makes some of the best tattoo machines available?

Do you realise that many forum members and interviewees also make the highest quality machines and other equipment?

It's not about you making money, nobody cares. It's about respect and acting professional while asking professionals (and serious enthusiasts) for advice.

People come here to discuss topics in an informative and hopefully positive way. It's hard to do that when people ask if a dvd is a good place to learn anything to do with tattooing.

Here's an honest tip: There is NO Bob Ross of tattooing. It's also not like Popular Mechanics or Model Engineering where everybody shares their tips and advice to everyone. You can complain all you like about people being smart asses or dicks, but we've all been in the same position. Really, we have. We found our own way, often with help, but we had to earn that help, usually face-to-face. The journey and the self-discovery is what makes the outcome more valuable.

I didn't always tattoo in a shop but I found that pretty much anything I could buy from someone who didn't care where I worked wasn't worth buying.

I've said too much. I'm going back to not feeding trolls...

Why do people feel the need to be smart asses about everything? Jeez, its not like I am going to start selling the bloody things on ebay?

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!

you might not, but this is a public forum, and others will.

also, it only took me a bit of googling to find a free torrent for the DVD you're asking about, and a copy for almost half the cost of the price you posted. if you're really interested, i'm sure there's a used copy floating around on Amazon or Ebay for much less.

also, you do realize that you asked a question about a DVD that explains how to build machines on a forum started by one of the best machine builders in the US right?

First off Stewart, if you do not like my posts feel free to ignore them. They usually have my name beside them and I would be more than happy if you passed them by.

If those DVD'S annoy you so much perhaps you should give Micky Sharpz a shout, I am sure he will be interested in your thoughts on the sharing of tattoo information.

Oh by the way, as far as Wikipedia is concerned "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory , extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Hmm Stewart...

MsRad, to be honest I was just browsing Ebay and found the listing for the DVD, it had no real info but seemed interesting. My wife is a tattoo apprentice, tattoo machines are expensive, I like fiddling with tools and machines,why would I not want to know more about them?

I thought I would come on here and see if anyone knew anything about the DVD ?

As I mentioned I have no interest in making machines. While this is Scotts forum, I am sure he is far from concerned about my interest in the workings of a machine and I know the thought of me cornering the market will not be keeping him awake at night.

As for free torrents - well that is not really my thing, I know artists who rip of flash, and dvds and books, but I have to much respect for the industry and the artists, but if you can pm me the link to the ebay listing I would appreciate it, I am in Ireland and found nothing in Europe that was not brand new and expensive.

MsRad, to be honest I was just browsing Ebay and found the listing for the DVD, it had no real info but seemed interesting. My wife is a tattoo apprentice, tattoo machines are expensive, I like fiddling with tools and machines,why would I not want to know more about them?

I thought I would come on here and see if anyone knew anything about the DVD ?

As I mentioned I have no interest in making machines. While this is Scotts forum, I am sure he is far from concerned about my interest in the workings of a machine and I know the thought of me cornering the market will not be keeping him awake at night.

As for free torrents - well that is not really my thing, I know artists who rip of flash, and dvds and books, but I have to much respect for the industry and the artists, but if you can pm me the link to the ebay listing I would appreciate it, I am in Ireland and found nothing in Europe that was not brand new and expensive.

If you're so interested in learning about something, then why not just ask the person who your wife is apprenticing under? that would cost a lot less than a DVD, and all it will hurt you is your butt if they say "it's none of your fucking business!"

free torrents may not be your thing, but you apparently have no problem supporting someone who appears to be ripping off the industry. again, there's a reason why certain things are kept secret and there's already too many shitty fish in this sea.

while you're correct that you're not keeping Scott up late at night, your point of discussion is pretty disrespectful in my humble opinion. i'm sure our discussion tonight or on Saturday will be pretty lively, and i'm curious to see what he posts in here.

and lastly, don't expect me to help you out with this. i'm not in favor of you buying that dvd and i'm certainly not doing your dirty work for you. if you don't like the replies you're receiving here, then don't make inane posts. you should know by now that people on this board are very opinionated, and that most of the professionals and enthusiasts on here don't take too kindly to posts in which hacks or leeching are involved. you can keep searching on your own if this is the road you want to travel down.

First off Stewart, if you do not like my posts feel free to ignore them. They usually have my name beside them and I would be more than happy if you passed them by.

No need to put your name to this post pal, its got your dabs all over it.

Funny, just as I logged on I saw an adwords advert in the top right hand corner of the forum...

Tattoo Machine Gun

Tattoo Gun Price From $8.12- $52.99 Big Selection & Free Shipping

Tmart.com: To Be the Best Mart for Cheap Items You Want.

I wonder if they sell dvd's.

Anyway, my original question was innocent, so if Scott or anyone is offended than I am happy to apologise.

I came here to discuss, read, view and learn more about tattoos, not to argue moot points.

Funny, just as I logged on I saw an adwords advert in the top right hand corner of the forum...

Tattoo Machine Gun

Tattoo Gun Price From $8.12- $52.99 Big Selection & Free Shipping

Tmart.com: To Be the Best Mart for Cheap Items You Want.

I wonder if they sell dvd's.

Anyway, my original question was innocent, so if Scott or anyone is offended than I am happy to apologise.

I came here to discuss, read, view and learn more about tattoos, not to argue moot points.

the point isn't moot if it effects half the member's liveliehoods, even if it's indirectly.

also, LST does not get to choose the google ads in the top bar. google creates this without any input (i see this all the time on vegan blogs, where non-vegan items are being advertised in the same fashion). i'll bet that the reason why they had to add advertising to the site was to keep it free, as i'm sure we're eating up a lot of digital space as it is, and we're still growing.

I wasn't going to weigh in on this one as I'm not a tattooer nor a tattoo machine builder, however, I have changed my mind to try to add some perspective if I may in my humble opinion....

I have had the opportunity to be around a few tattoo machine builders and assisted some, actually wrapping coils today. Yesterday had a drill bit break off building some coils and stick in my finger plus the other wounds in the few years I've helped out and I am only doing this when they need help so can only imagine their stories. I have so much respect for what these guys do I could nor would I ever share the secrets they have shown me. Money could not compare, it is truly priceless!!

That is not to be a privy prick but I have that much respect for it, them, and the history. Plus how much goes into just one machine. I see Scott and Juan constantly working their asses off on their days off putting time and energy into each machine. As well as bloody knuckles/hands/fingers, burns, etc.. I have been by Dan Dringenberg's machine shop and witnessed what they put into each machine. I was the extra laborer hands on Karl and Scott's collaborative machine.... and beyond the above labor they put in I saw/see the passion, friendship, and love they have for it. Watching Scott and Karl was a great experience for me and they will probably make fun of me for this but fuc'em....from an outsider watching the respect they have for one another as well as love was something I have seen few professionals share on a project. This is where I get my respect for it! This is where I even sometimes get my inspiration in my trade of psychology when feeling beat.

On that note....you may find someone to show you. I know Dringenberg sometimes does seminars at tattoo conventions so maybe you will have the opportunity to attend one. But LST is not a place to learn about tattoo machines but it is a place to try to be a positive person in the world/trade of tattooing because we have that much respect for it. Lets try to do something different and new to/with tattooing, tattoos, and the internet for better tattoos......

I do not give a shit what this or other forums advertise, directly or otherwise.

I did not wake up this morning and think " lets go piss someone off", in fact the opposite - I had a question and thought that the people on LST would be cool enough to advise me.

Sorry that this pisses so many people off, perhaps I am just not used to angry people, or perhaps I am used to seeing the eyes of those who talk down to me...

Perhaps I do not see tattooists and their art as some secret that needs protection.

I have been getting tattoos and been hanging out with tattooists for as long as most people on this forum. I have pumped a decent amount of money, and time into the industry, and I do not need yours, or anyone else's permission to ask for a bloody DVD review.

Fuck it, I'm digging out the troll food...

...or perhaps I am used to seeing the eyes of those who talk down to me...

Are you insinuating that we are acting tough because we are hiding behind keyboards?

I use my real name and I make it clear where I work and what conventions and other shops I attend. My opinions here are my professional opinions. I say the same things face-to-face where I work all the time. I don't use any tough-guy posturing to do that either. This isn't a hobby for me. I'm not hiding behind anything - which is why I don't insult people directly and I try to treat people with respect, unless they show no respect.

Perhaps I do not see tattooists and their art as some secret that needs protection

Maybe that's the fucking problem here. It's clear that you want to help your wife learn to tattoo. Her mentor should be doing that. It's also blatantly clear that you have no respect for tattooing. You don't even think it deserves respect. You think that because you know tattooers and have spent money on tattoo products you are entitled to respect.

You didn't piss anyone off, that's not why people keep disagreeing with you. It's because -by your own admission- you didn't care enough to think before you post. You want everyone here to feed information to you, just because you ask, before you search google, before you even think about the matter in hand for a couple of minutes.

I'm responding to you because this issue and the responses to it will hopefully be useful to someone else later on. I have no desire to engage in discussion with you directly.

....hanging out with tattooists for as long as most people on this forum. I have pumped a decent amount of money, and time into the industry, and I do not need yours, or anyone else's permission to ask for a bloody DVD review.

If you really think you have pumped so much money into tattooing? why not just buy the dvd anyway? Did you really expect a positive response from anyone here?

Why not be active and buy the dvd and post a review? Contribute to LST with something positive or creative. Instead of expecting free help and information. Everything has a price.

Thanks.

On a more helpful note:

If I can take apart cars and scooters using a manual I can do the same with a tattoo machine.

You can take apart cars and scooters, I'm presuming you can drive. You understand how the machine needs to be used and what the various parts are for.

Tattoo machines are more like kit cars than production models. You're gonna need to know WHY something does the thing it does. The only way to learn that is to learn to tattoo well or have a good tattooer explain it to you.

Why not be active and buy the dvd and post a review? Contribute to LST with something positive or creative. Instead of expecting free help and information. Everything has a price.Thanks.

OK, that's what I will do, I will by the dvd, and review it on the board... I can only imagine what the reaction would be.

Everything has a price..really, a simple " you know that dvd is really geared towards making machines not servicing them " would cost very little and would, at least, be dignified.

As for not having respect for tattooing... tattooing can look after itself, it was here long before you or I, it will be here long after, and it needs neither of us to survive.

I do have respect for people, of all flavours, sizes, colours and creeds. I try not to take away from, to talk down to, to insult or hurt. If I can offer something positive I will, if not I try to leave well alone.

Perhaps you could do the same, and perhaps, just perhaps, you could try not to see intentions in other peoples actions.

It makes life easier.

Wow.

This whole thread brings to mind the Cointel operatives from the 60's and 70's the the FBI planted in groups they deemed leftist, liberal or otherwise subversive, like the NAACP and the Black Panthers. Their mission was to interupt and misdirect, and they often took part in framing people for crimes that they'd never actually get convicted for, just distracting from their actual work and wasting a lot of time and resources.

Bubbleberry, I think maybe you misread the community here, otherwise you probably wouldn't have posted that question.

No one here could give you a review like you requested,

" a simple " you know that dvd is really geared towards making machines not servicing them " would cost very little and would, at least, be dignified."

because no one on this forum has learned their trade from a DVD, nor do they use "tattoo guns" (your words) made by people who learned from a DVD.

Either way, we're looking forward to your review.

You're gonna need to know WHY something does the thing it does. The only way to learn that is to learn to tattoo well or have a good tattooer explain it to you.

Thank you ! That makes sense. The guy my wife is working with has lots of machines, and he calls it his tattoo graveyard, and he has my wife breaking down machines and putting together again. But we do not have a tattoo machine at home, so I will ask him for an old one to play about with, he's a friend so that parts easy.

Thank you ! That makes sense. The guy my wife is working with has lots of machines, and he calls it his tattoo graveyard, and he has my wife breaking down machines and putting together again. But we do not have a tattoo machine at home, so I will ask him for an old one to play about with, he's a friend so that parts easy.

i said this right at the beginning. i don't know what took you so long to catch on to the idea, and why you were so caught up on buying that damn dvd. had you just posted this before, i'm sure this long, drug-out, butthurt argument session could have been avoided.

i said this right at the beginning. i don't know what took you so long to catch on to the idea, and why you were so caught up on buying that damn dvd. had you just posted this before, i'm sure this long, drug-out, butthurt argument session could have been avoided.

I simply do not want to bother the guy that is training my wife. I like to learn things myself, slowly at my own pace. I thought it would be helpful for my wife as a reference.I assumed the only people who had watched that dvd were tattoo artists, and never thought for a second that someone would be offended by it.

I could understand if I asked for a review on a $10 tattoo gun from china or a dodgy how to tattoo guide.

Anyway, it will be the last bit of advice I seek on here, what a bloody drama.