Artist Portfolio Sites

slayer9019

Ok, just to start off tell me if I cross a line or am wrong on ANY point and I will kill the thread. Now that's out of the way....

I have been crawling through portfolio and portfolio for some time now and found that some are a bit boring, outdated or non-existent. This parallels much into the art world that I know quite well (advertising or illustrations or more "mainstream"). Most of my family works in the art world in one way or another and most if not all have nice portfolio sites as it is how you get work. I am pretty good at developing sites and would like to see if any tattoo artists would need my expertise. While I know in the world of designers they sometimes take a big offense to asking if they want their site remodeled since that is very close to what they do for a living.

So just asking if their are artists that would like to get this done (for MUCH less than what most agency will charge and I think that some artists' sites are not a good showcase for their work. Just my opinion.

http://kristiandmaggie.com/

^^ Above is the last site I just finished. Loading times may take a second since they wanted super high resolution pictures ^^

Just another side note, that the linked site above is obviously not the "style" I would assume most would go for, it is more of a technical preview. I will possibly do some free sites just to build my own portfolio and to help some people out if they would like.

Send me a PM if you are interested in some free work

I have no need for a website, and I am not an artist, but out of curiosity what type of site do you think a tattoo studio should have? I always find that those with an artistic background think they know more about web design than they do, and often go for sites that are either to complex or do not serve their purpose.

Living within a community of artists I feel that a large portion of at least the younger generation (>30) feel they know WAY more than they do about web design. The problems usually arise when the pencil hits the paper (in web design its the fingers hit the keyboard) and they usually fall flat. I myself have devoted a large portion of my life to the skill of programming and have talked much on the topic to my other artist friends. I relate it like this....Anyone can hack at a skill with little knowledge and produce something that is OK, but to get something that looks amazing takes the years of trial and error, working under someone and blood/sweat/tears to get a solid outcome. (I guess that relates much to tattoo from what I gather). While I gather no traction in the field of creativity, when my fingers dance on the keyboard I make my own art form in my opinion of code. It is much harder than most people realize to make something that works.

As a customer I think that studios/artists that have an attractive site make the art look a bit better. Just as you can't polish a turd, you also have to "frame" your work in an appealing way. The mona lisa would look better in nice frame in a gallery, then hanging in my bathroom!

Also I tend to gravitate to a cleaner site to showcase the work instead of crowd it with other frivolous decoration. That's just me though.

• 5 months later...

Hey slayer, i own Feed My Addiction in Eau Claire, WI. I have a domain and access to build site thru godaddy but have no idea what I am doing. Could really use some help. We have 3 full time artists and a body piercer. I can send you any images you would need. I can be reached at fmatattoo@gmail.com or my studio number is 715-855-1275. Thank you. Hope to here from ya soon.