I agree that it gets peep out to get tattooed but it gives people a fucking retarded idea of what success is in this industry:

About a week ago, two of the types of guys who LOVE those shows come in and bro down for their bro tats. They keep telling me that maybe "one day I'll be on one of those shows." so as always, I act polite. I tell them that for me personally I wouldn't be interested in the extra work that a show would give etc. Etc.

They seemed to lose all faith in me after that as though I just said I went interested in being a good tattooer. Therefore, my only complaints about those shows are (a) the Eikon sponsorships and (b) the attitude it gives clientele that those tattooers are the end all be all of the industry and choose not to look more into the art than staring at the boob tube.

Just my opinion.

ive always thought the best way to do a tattoo show was to do it "Taxi Cab Confessions" style

set up some hidden cameras in a busy ass street shop and let the hilarity ensue.

i dont give a fuck why a person gets tattooed. and if all i had to do were memorial tattoos all day long where the client cries throught out the tattoo while explaining to me how they miss their dog, id fucking kill myself.

and im not really a hugger unless you got really big boobs. so they aint necessary after i do spiritual paw print tattoo.

i DO watch the shows. wish theyd do miami ink again. i'd look over garvers shoulder all day long while hes drawing/tattooing.

yes! a show like that in a street shop would be awesome. let people see the wack-job crack heads trying to sell us stolen items...dudes getting tattoos covered or added because they're going to prison in two days...gay dudes getting weird shit on them...tranny's, uptight yuppies, frat boys being pussies, drunk sports fans, hot college chicks, people getting kicked out...man i love working in a streetshop.

I'm down for the Street Shop Confessions. That's definitely something all of us could relate to. Either way though, Desa said it. The shows are out there, and they get people to get tattoos. I remember when I saw Dan Smith was gonna be on LA Ink, I was just glad they actually put a traditional guy on there.

Has anyone ever seen the "Hipster Olympics" on YouTube? When Juan showed it to me we joked about putting a video camera at Blackheart as that shit is daily outside their shop.

But I love this idea of providing an actual reality show at a shop. Actual being an accurate perspective so people can see how it really is. There is no need to "script" the tattoo show as that actually makes it less entertaining if you know what really occurs at shops

Hahaa someone set this up immediately! Experienced some ridiculous shit and seen some pretty good little videos caught with a phone. This could be a whole new phenomenon here hahaa

I can talk to the LST Team and see if we can set something up where people, LSTers, could submit their videos to us and we can post them or maybe you guys host them elsewhere and then embed them here? LST Team?????

We, Steve actually, is currently doing lots of web video work with the site for the upcoming tattoo artist video interviews Scott Sylvia. (Shhhh, I watched the Juan Puente Interview rough last night and it is kick ass!).

Is this something people are interested in or just a waste of space and time?

More people are influenced to get tattooed by tv and people are just as influenced by tv to start tattooing. We've had a five fold increase of tattooers in our area since Miami Ink. We have not had a five fold increase in Business. I will be tattooing either way as well. However, I'm starting to dislike these shows and the perceptions of tattooing they create. I will ride it out as the less dedicated fall. Look at the custom bike world if you would like a glimpse of tattooing in a few years. A grip load of people running to a profession that can't support them. Except with tattooing, the start up potential is so much more accessible than bike building. Get an eight line in there, copy a simple trad tattoo, grow a beard and bam! you be one.

i dont give a fuck why a person gets tattooed. and if all i had to do were memorial tattoos all day long where the client cries throught out the tattoo while explaining to me how they miss their dog, id fucking kill myself.

and im not really a hugger unless you got really big boobs. so they aint necessary after i do spiritual paw print tattoo.

Haha!

Good call on "The Office" styled show, Mario.

Great idea Mario, This show would be so different depending on where the location was, I work in small town Kentucky so it would be like country girls and boomhouers all day long, like people askin to cover up a name with their new chicks name.

I think we may be able to imbed video using a service like u stream, I just know alot of them will not permit lewd content.

Get an eight line in there, copy a simple trad tattoo, grow a beard and bam! you be one.

yes! exactly...haha. you're right, though, it is a double-edged sword, and the flush of new tattooers is now greater than the increase in business. i've already run across a number of them who have already moved on after not being able to earn a living, or who need a second job just to survive.

man...that sounds great. might be some legal issues though??? with customers' consent and all???

Not much of a lawyer but I would think it could be pulled off. Any LST lawyers out there? I mean YouTube and other sites like that have members post all sorts of nonsense with people willing and unwilling. I would imagine the individual poster/member would be more at risk. Or what about posting signs at shops that chose to partake saying, "Warning your stupidity may be captured and shared!" ha!

man...that sounds great. might be some legal issues though??? with customers' consent and all???
Not much of a lawyer though done my fair share of shaking johnny law and courts but I would think it could be pulled off. Any LST lawyers out there? I mean YouTube and other sites like that have members post all sorts of nonsense with people willing and unwilling. I would imagine the individual poster/member would be more at risk. Or what about posting signs at shops that chose to partake saying, "Warning your stupidity may be captured and shared!" ha!

Speaking of which anyone ever see that picture online of homegirl hardcore dancing in a mosh pit that had like Godzilla or something photoshopped onto it?

i am sure it is totally doable. i think the law is that if you are in a public place, you can be caught on camera, video camera, but it may be something where you need to post something that says there are camera's filming...and no sneaky toilet shots....that is illegal.

shit, haven't any of you seen "operation repo"...

• 2 weeks later...
It's true! I'm surprised they haven't just straight up hired actors yet..

They HAVE! The one dip shit shop girl on LA Ink was also on Brett Micheals - Rock of Love and the 2nd dip shit shop girl was also "cast" by the producers. It's all contrived/ semi-scripted bullshit. Also, I don't know how anyone gets through a tattoo on those shows because they make you stop and start over and over again as they set up different shots. (Gotta move cameras, lights, etc.) So really those people are getting tattooed for hours on and off. Sounds like a nightmare to me! That being said, I DVR the shit and tune in every single week like a crack addict. ha ha The one thing I can't dispute is the tattoos they do show for the most part are really nice and occasionally I'll see a friend or aquaintance on the show and that's fun.