No thread about this bullshit yet?

Perez

I posted the link to the facebook petition on my blog and for the last two days have had hundreds more visitors then normal... so thanks TLC! included right under that link is the link to this website so hopefully some people will come over here and learn about good tattoos

In answer to someone who was wondering why some of us from the 'OTHER' shows don't use their social networking to comment: why would I want point out to tens of thousands of people about a terrible thing and make them look, it gives TLC more power and free advertising, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna do that. The best thing to do is not watch, hell don't watch any reality tv for that matter. None of us knew about this new show, it's not like we talk to TLC unless it's for a legal purpose now and then. TLC is owned by Discovery Chanel and is a monstrous, soulless network. They buy episodes from a production company who pitches the idea and then makes it happen. Find the production company who made this atrocity and you will then find the source and creator of this. They probably pitched it to several networks but TLC paid them the most for it.

Tim, before I say anything I just want to say this, you have been one of my tattoo heroes who's work I have looked up to for my entire career. I am not laboring under the delusion I am anything more than some 4 year streetshop schlub who is lucky enough, thanks to Scott's board here to be able to say something you might read. I have nothing more than the utmost respect for you so don't think I'm some dude trying to "Call you out" or anything like that. My point, especially in regards to you is this:

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not yourself, Ami, Kat etc. are the face of tattooing to mainstream America, and like it or not you are ALREADY giving TLC a bunch of free advertising for the show because they're running it sandwiched between two episodes of the TV show that you are on! Which puts the people on your show in a bit of a pickle. Now I'm not saying you should kick in the doors of TLC and tell them if they air it you quit or whatever (although I'm also NOT saying it wouldn't be awesome.) But I think silence on the matter is just isn't route to go. Like I said before, you guys are the face of tattooing to a lot of folks, you represent tattooing to millions of people on TV each week. Silence on this matter from you and the people on your show could be misinterpreted, at best as not caring and at worst, as some kind of tacit approval.

Joe Ding-dong on his couch has no idea WHY tattoo school is bad, shit, as far as he knows, you, Ami all you guys, went to "some kinda tattoo college." Right now the chorus of disapproval on this show is a bunch of tattooers on facebook changing their photos and swearing on TLC's page and signing petitions that will most likely be tossed out. We have to face facts, the production company (Touch productions in case anyone was wondering) has already made the show, TLC is most likely going to air it in spite of everyone's outrage. and millions and millions of people are going to see it because it's sandwiched in between two episodes of what is probably their highest rated show right now, which you just happen to be on. You guys are in a position with your relationship to the network to bend their ear and at least express you displeasure, but honestly I doubt they'll listen to that either. But people WILL listen to you guys, ESPECIALLY you. You are in the unique postion of being probably the only person involved in these shows that still has the respect of the entire tattoo community, Who the fuck ISN'T going to listen to World-class tattooer and total dreamboat Tim Hendricks!? I'm not saying you owe anything to anyone, I'm not saying you have a duty to do anything, I'm just saying you'd be a fucking hero if you did.

I'm not saying you have a duty to do anything, I'm just saying you'd be a fucking hero if you did.

Along with what's been said, I have to agree with this the most. You'd have the utmost respect from myself, for what it's worth (which I know isn't much, haha).

There is now a boycott petition, but I can't take anything serious that has so much random capitalization.

Artist and Collectors Boycotting TLC's Tattoo School

There's quite a few, now! Like Perez said, it's not likely to change TLC's mind, but at least if people sign these things and make themselves heard now, they may be discouraged from ever putting out another show like this again.

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion up to now. Both online and at our shop.

I'm not sure if this will bum anyone out more than they are already and maybe it's been said by someone else....

A petition with thousands of names will prove to TLC that this show will be watched by enough people for it to matter.

Has nobody noticed that reality TV doesn't need reality - it's fuelled by conflict. A petition is conflict before the show even airs. Even banners and gifs on websites are strengthening the TLC brand. Subconsciously reinforcing the fact that their channel is the place to find entertaining conflict to while away your evenings.

We all know the reality is that you can't learn to make a decent tattoo in 2 weeks, but that doesn't matter. - The conflict and ensuing drama is the entertainment. TLC are selling entertainment.

This literally is already the most talked about TV show in our shop, by customers and tattooers. More than Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, The Wire, Hollyoaks, Tattoo Age etc. etc.

This will either show how difficult tattooing is and reinforce the idea that TV shows are about exceptional individuals who drive trucks on ice, do tattoos, build massive bridges or go to the moon. - making the existing 'reality' shows more interesting and exotic to joe public.

Or it will turn into 'Tattoo X-Factor' - 'Ink-Factor - Do you have what it takes?'

The future of mainstream tattoo culture is dark.

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion up to now. Both online and at our shop.

I'm not sure if this will bum anyone out more than they are already and maybe it's been said by someone else....

A petition with thousands of names will prove to TLC that this show will be watched by enough people for it to matter.

Has nobody noticed that reality TV doesn't need reality - it's fuelled by conflict. A petition is conflict before the show even airs. Even banners and gifs on websites are strengthening the TLC brand. Subconsciously reinforcing the fact that their channel is the place to find entertaining conflict to while away your evenings.

We all know the reality is that you can't learn to make a decent tattoo in 2 weeks, but that doesn't matter. - The conflict and ensuing drama is the entertainment. TLC are selling entertainment.

This literally is already the most talked about TV show in our shop, by customers and tattooers. More than Sons of Anarchy, The Sopranos, The Wire, Hollyoaks, Tattoo Age etc. etc.

This will either show how difficult tattooing is and reinforce the idea that TV shows are about exceptional individuals who drive trucks on ice, do tattoos, build massive bridges or go to the moon. - making the existing 'reality' shows more interesting and exotic to joe public.

Or it will turn into 'Tattoo X-Factor' - 'Ink-Factor - Do you have what it takes?'

The future of mainstream tattoo culture is dark.

Sad but true. Very eloquently stated Stewart. Any press is good press at this point. No matter how many 1000s of people understand tattoo culture and the disrespect that this show is, exponentially more people will be intrigued and want to see what the fuss is about.

I have to say, this depresses me the most. "Tattoo Age" looks like exactly what people have been asking for in the tattoo community. I made sure to join the boycott FB pages just so I could post links to the VBS.TV page I posted a Mike Brown interview from VBS.TV and got one reply Mike Brown interview, yet there's loads of threads on reality TV you guys don't like. Boggles the mind.

Tim Hendricks and Stewart Robson are right, publicity no matter in what form helps shows. Its a hard pill to swallow, but ignoring this show could be the best course of action. Say for an example if Tim does say something, many more will watch the show. Cause we respect Mr. Hendricks, we know his a great tattooer and a stand up guy.... but the average fan of NY Ink doesn't hold him in such regard. So when they see that his pissed off at this show, they are going to want to check it out, not listen to him how we would.

A good example of this, I wanted to find out the ratings for NY Ink, and saw a show called "swamp people." Now I don't live in America and I don't get your channels over here, but I want to see what type of stupid show this is just by that title and the cue card it had. Maybe if I watch it I'll think its dumb or I could find it somewhat interesting, I don't know. These shows are now marketing crack though TV.

I made this post in another tattoo forum. It applies here.

"Im not saying facebook posts are going to make any difference to TLC. Im saying our voices are important for the regular public to hear also. Just because you may not have heard of the show doesn't mean all the "middle america, sit on the TV all day" kind of people haven't. I want regular non tattoo people to understand how we feel about this and why. I would like to counter the immediate response to thinking that a tattoo school is a good idea. I want the people who might watch this show and decide they want to go to a tattoo school. The kids who get turned away from apprenticeships and see this as a backdoor into the craft. I want them to hear why that's a bad idea. From the people who they would be looking at for employment.

I am under no illusions that a bunch of posts on the net are going to change a networks mind necessarily. More that I want as many people as possible to understand that this isn't the norm in tattooing, nor the way to go for anyone."

I feel we need counter measures.

Say for an example if Tim does say something, many more will watch the show. Cause we respect Mr. Hendricks, we know his a great tattooer and a stand up guy.... but the average fan of NY Ink doesn't hold him in such regard. So when they see that his pissed off at this show, they are going to want to check it out, not listen to him how we would.

I could not possibly disagree with you more.

I have to say, this depresses me the most. "Tattoo Age" looks like exactly what people have been asking for in the tattoo community. I made sure to join the boycott FB pages just so I could post links to the VBS.TV page I posted a Mike Brown interview from VBS.TV and got one reply Mike Brown interview, yet there's loads of threads on reality TV you guys don't like. Boggles the mind.

Only one reply but there were over 160 views. I watched the interview by the way and found it pretty amazing. So for whats its worth, Kev, a belated thanks for posting.

I have to say, this depresses me the most. "Tattoo Age" looks like exactly what people have been asking for in the tattoo community. ...yet there's loads of threads on reality TV you guys don't like. Boggles the mind.

There's not much more to say about Tattoo Age other than "That looks awesome, can't wait to see it". I think that Tattoo Age and LST interviews have come along at the perfect time. Just when it was hard for serious tattoo people to take tattooer interviews seriously. I don't always love what Vice mag does but I do know that the guys behind Vice magazine and the guys behind Tattoo Age are serious tattoo people. They choose good tattooers and know good tattoos when they see them.

Between that and LST it finally feels like high quality tattoo media (other than blogs) is 'for us, by us'. Kinda like a video version of TattooTime.

The future of mainstream tattoo culture may look dark but I'm totally stoked about the future of underground tattoo culture!

I made this post in another tattoo forum. It applies here.

"Im not saying facebook posts are going to make any difference to TLC. Im saying our voices are important for the regular public to hear also. Just because you may not have heard of the show doesn't mean all the "middle america, sit on the TV all day" kind of people haven't. I want regular non tattoo people to understand how we feel about this and why. I would like to counter the immediate response to thinking that a tattoo school is a good idea. I want the people who might watch this show and decide they want to go to a tattoo school. The kids who get turned away from apprenticeships and see this as a backdoor into the craft. I want them to hear why that's a bad idea. From the people who they would be looking at for employment.

I am under no illusions that a bunch of posts on the net are going to change a networks mind necessarily. More that I want as many people as possible to understand that this isn't the norm in tattooing, nor the way to go for anyone."

I feel we need counter measures.

My girlfriend is untattooed.

She's accompanied me on a few trips to get worked on, but by and large she's not someone who's a 'tattoo person'.

She saw me getting all huffy about the TLC show and asked me why I was so offended. We were able to have a pretty serious discussion about the hows and whys of my anger and I ended up relating it to someone who has no vested interest in tattoo culture. The best thing that can come out of this is honest discussion with people who may not "know what we know".

In answer to someone who was wondering why some of us from the 'OTHER' shows don't use their social networking to comment: why would I want point out to tens of thousands of people about a terrible thing and make them look, it gives TLC more power and free advertising, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna do that. The best thing to do is not watch, hell don't watch any reality tv for that matter. None of us knew about this new show, it's not like we talk to TLC unless it's for a legal purpose now and then. TLC is owned by Discovery Chanel and is a monstrous, soulless network. They buy episodes from a production company who pitches the idea and then makes it happen. Find the production company who made this atrocity and you will then find the source and creator of this. They probably pitched it to several networks but TLC paid them the most for it.

You are totally right on this. The whole dust up on Facebook about banning/boycotting this has given it so much more publicity than it may have ever had. If we want to to protest then we should go to this school and give them what for. Otherwise, we should ignore it on every level. Change the subject if someone brings the show up and so forth. Anyway, I found this while trigging to figure out who this piece of shit is... Her arrogance is unbelievable and her disrespect for the business and traditions many of us work to protect is disgusting. This is from her website... Try to keep your heads from exploding

Hate Mail

by Lisa Fasulo (June 30, 2009) UPDATED July 2011

I used to get hate mail all the time, then it got quiet for a some years, now I get it again since TLC is featuring us in a upcoming TV show. Hate mail is always the same, they are written by many different angry people ("Haters" is the common term these days) but they always had the same traits: horrible spelling, lots of profanity and zero punctuation and capitalization.

The point is always the same:

How dare I teach someone how to do this ancient artform?

How dare I give someone the chance to support themselves doing an honest and fulfilling job?

How dare I teach people how to tattoo safely and responsibly instead of kitchen sink scratching?

And on and on they went.....

I never took it personally though, since these people never met me or my family.

The notion of tattoo school has never been a popular idea, so I guess my partner and I are sort of pioneers.

I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from empowering and motivating people to go out and do something they have only dreamed about.

I am sorry that some folks out there had to clean shop floors for 2 years before they were allowed to hold a tattoo machine.

Maybe some need to learn that way.

I prefer the professional school atmosphere.

I am proud that I can teach people a skill with which they can explore and grow from. Tattooing skin is the best and most interesting canvas there is!

Little do the "haters" know, but I have become stronger for it because it really made me examine my motivations for teaching and renewed my dedication to teaching tattooing.

Slowly, the idea of a professional school to learn tattooing is gaining acceptance.

I guess I am not such an outlaw anymore.

My feeling is that people who decide to tattoo are going to do it NO MATTER WHAT so if I can at least impart some wisdom as to safety/sterilization/BBP concerns then we have done a good job.

We don't proclaim that students will be masters upon completion. In fact, just the opposite, that's why we call our class "Tattoo Fundamentals".

We are just laying a safe groundwork so those who wish to pursue this career can begin from.

So as for the hate email, don't bother....we don't read them anymore....and if our staff deems them dangerous, they get passed to the proper authorities :)

Tim Hendricks and Stewart Robson are right, publicity no matter in what form helps shows. It's a hard pill to swallow, but ignoring this show could be the best course of action. Say for an example if Tim does say something, many more will watch the show. Cause we respect Mr. Hendricks, we know his a great tattooer and a stand up guy.... but the average fan of NY Ink doesn't hold him in such regard. So when they see that his pissed off at this show, they are going to want to check it out, not listen to him how we would.

I'm also leaning in this direction, to not give it any further attention. Scott and I haven't even discussed it with eachother because there's no need to give it any more power.

I also 100% understand Perez's point of view. I very much understand the concept of bearing witness, and have committed large chunks of my life to causes that I support and believe in. But I also think that TLC just sees dollar signs when their stupid show, before it even airs, causes this much of a stir. Tim might as well make a statement against MacDonalds or Big Oil or whoever else runs commercials during NY Ink.

But I have to say, regarding this statement on Tim "but the average fan of NY Ink doesn't hold him in such regard," I think I disagree. I've watched two episodes of the show, I've made it through a dead baby, three dead dads, the shop helpers fighting about mopping, and a smeared eyebrow. Now I'm no expert on tattoo reality TV, I only saw 2 or 3 Miami Inks (and was told the cable would get turned off and the TV thrown in the street if I watched LA Ink), but I've heard that they never really show the person getting tattooed visibly hurting. In the last episode, the guy getting tattooed was done and crying, and Tim had an awesome bedside manner. Yes, it's true that I love him already, but he's certainly the only highlight on the show for me, so if someone is a fan of the show, they are a fan of Tim.

I also 100% understand Perez's point of view. I very much understand the concept of bearing witness, and have committed large chunks of my life to causes that I support and believe in. But I also think that TLC just sees dollar signs when their stupid show, before it even airs, causes this much of a stir. Tim might as well make a statement against MacDonalds or Big Oil or whoever else runs commercials during NY Ink.

I'm not saying he should deride any of the show's sponsors, or even the TLC/Discovery network if he doesn't see fit. I'm just simply saying he's in a position of influence to explain to the lay people that will be watching both his show AND this new one which are airing concurrently WHY Tattoo School (both show and concept) is a bad idea.

Paul Murphy went through the trouble of collecting the information for all the advertisers fo the show. Contacting them to express your distaste might be one of the only productive measures you could actually take.

These are the Sponsors of TLC's Tattoo School. Let Them Know How You Feel About Their Irresponsibility.

(Top 3)

Volkswagen Group of America

2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr. Herndon, VA 20171

(703) 364-7000

1-800-822-8987

Target Corporation

1000 Nicollet Mall Minneapolis, MN 55403

target.comlations@target.com

612-304-6073

Bally Total Fitness. Inc

8700 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.

Chicago, IL 60631.

773-380-3000

Others:

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

19001 South Western Ave. Dept. WC11

Torrance, CA 90501

send email here: http://toy/ ota.custhe lp.com/cgi -bin/toyot a.cfg/php/ enduser/as k_intercep t.php

Yahoo

701 First Avenue

Sunnyvale, California 94089

(408) 349-3300

yahoo-inc. yahoo-inc.como-inc.com

Troy-Built (owned by MTD)

MTD Products Headquarters

P.O. BOX 368022. Cleveland, OH 44136

330-225-2600

Frito-Lay (ad was for Sunchips)

7701 Legacy Dr

Plano, TX 75024

(972) 334-3471

Proctor & Gamble (Gillette razors)

HQ: One Procter & Gamble Plaza Cincinnati, OH 45202

(513) 983-1100

Unilever Products (Dove Soap and Degree Deodorant.)

800 Sylvan Avenue.

Englewood Cliffs. New Jersey 07632

201 894 7760

Nationwide

Nationwide World Headquarters

One Nationwide Plaza

Columbus, OH 43215–2220

customer svc: 1-877-669-6877

Sprint

Sprint Nextel Headquarters

2001 Edmund Halley Drive

Overland Park, Kansas 66251

703-433-4000

Johnson & Johnson (Pledge dusting products)

One Johnson & Johnson Plaza

New Brunswick, New Jersey 08933

(732) 524-0400

www.j nj.com/wps /wcm/jsp/c ontactUs.j sp

I'm really sad to see two companies that family members of mine are involved in.. one of which is high up in marketing and has a lot to do with their commercials.. maybe i can find a respectful way of bringing this issue to him.. this brings it to a whole different thing for me, i feel kind of sick now knowing a close relative of mine is probably about to get a lot of hate mail.. it kind of bring a different perspective because i know he's a good person and he knows me and my man live off of tattooing, he probably has no idea how horrible this show will be...

any advice on how i could approach this would be appreciated..

and no, i will not say which company, what his job actually is, or his name.. sorry..