No thread about this bullshit yet?

Perez

--------I've made up my mind----- I think I'm going to remove posts on Facebook regarding this. I'm going to " unlike" posts that I've already "liked" on Facebook.

I'm not going to ally myself with some of the people, who are in my estimation part of the big picture problem.

I'm just not going to watch it, not going to discuss it.

I'm going to allow the blind to lead the blind.

That show, those people and the people that will watch it and give it merit- have nothing to do with what I love and what I do.

And if this is the beginning of the end, then I'm glad I was able to do what I love---- I'll go underground if I have to---

Been there done that.

I will not give this anymore energy.

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything but how naive are we? The companies listed for advertising do not give a rat's ass. They are major corporations that know people are going to watch this atrocity so they will put their money behind TLC. This show is happening. Also, why is everyone going after TLC? They are a television network. They have no soul, no respect, and certainly no care for tattooers. What else are we to expect?

Now, our real hatred should go to the piece of shit whoring out our business. I posted her response to hate mail on page 5 of this thread. If we want to do something, we should organize something that directly fucks with her. That is the answer... This show is bullshit but this woman and her school is an abomination. She is the real problem.

I agree that this Lisa chick should be fucked with for sure! At the same time it's pretty shitty to go vandalize someone's shop just because they're a total fuck head. Maybe someone in NY and someone in San Diego can organize protests at her locations or something like that.

As far as the sponsors go I sent my cousin an email letting him know that him and his co workers may experience a lot of hate mail in the next few days and I anyone at his company cares to be informed that I will put him in touch with some people who aren't idiots and can explain the situation from a tattooers point of view. I'm sure it will make no difference but you never know what cab happen.

I agree that this Lisa chick should be fucked with for sure! At the same time it's pretty shitty to go vandalize someone's shop just because they're a total fuck head. Maybe someone in NY and someone in San Diego can organize protests at her locations or something like that.

1. I never said anything about vandalizing.

2. If someone did vandalize her, I would probably applaud them. She shits on my craft and way of life so I afford her no respect. She is a leech and a parasite.

Dave Fox posted this on Facebook.

Tattoos by Dave Fox

I just called and left a message of complaint about TLC's TATTOO SCHOOL on the Discovery Networks Ethics Hotline (571)262-4899. You can, too. Be professional and straight forward, it's the best way to get results.

--------I've made up my mind----- I think I'm going to remove posts on Facebook regarding this. I'm going to " unlike" posts that I've already "liked" on Facebook.

I'm not going to ally myself with some of the people, who are in my estimation part of the big picture problem.

I'm just not going to watch it, not going to discuss it.

I'm going to allow the blind to lead the blind.

That show, those people and the people that will watch it and give it merit- have nothing to do with what I love and what I do.

And if this is the beginning of the end, then I'm glad I was able to do what I love---- I'll go underground if I have to---

Been there done that.

I will not give this anymore energy.

I thought this when the traditional hot rod scene got overtaken by rockasilly 'rat rods' and the chopper/cafe scene got bum rushed by the OCC crowd. Focus on the positive and build from there = )

It's sad tattooing in general has gone this way. Honestly I don't think anyone is going to stop this show from airing and I think it will be watched. I will however, talk about why I think it's crap to my friends and clients ( anyone who cares about my two cents) but I'm not going to shove it down their throats. And I do believe that anyone who wants to get into tattooing will, but I personally will not contribute. There are too many tattooers as is. The fact is tattooing is bigger than anyone could have imagined and it'll probably be decades until it dies off a bit, and by that time you'll probably be able to get certified online over a weekend. This shit isn't new. I remember tattooers getting huck Spaulding certificates by ordering supplies, did it make a difference? No. Are people going to get bad tattoos and make bad decisions? Yes. I think the best thing to do is concentrate on what we do, and do it well, or at least to the best of our abilities.

Well, I've been reading the replies here, and normally I'd probably start to lean towards your ideas of just leaving the whole thing alone, never mentioning it at all. However, since changing my Facebook picture, about six people I know who aren't too knowledgeable about tattoos have asked me what it's about- three of them being people who were going to make appointments at the local studios that aren't much better than Lisa's "school". I wouldn't have normally talked to them (four were people from high school!) so it was cool that that's opened up a little discussion with them and probably saved their skin from the laser treatment place.

A silver lining, even if it is a small one, is always good.

• 2 weeks later...

Please read this post on Scott's blog. Our friend sent us a letter suggesting that we turn our attention to the Tattoo School instead of focusing on multi billion dollar corporations that are pretty much untouchable and are only conducting business as usual. If we harness our collective energy in the direction suggested, we are much more likely to actually make a difference.

Scott Sylvia TLC Tattoo School Blog Post

I don't know how I missed that post, I think it's great.

Question, though: I'm all for everyone wanting to do something about the "schools" in their area- but what if it's a crap tattoo studio charging for two week courses? That's the one that's local to me, where do I stand with that?

In Portland Oregon it is required that you go to a state licensed tattoo school if you are not grandfathered in by previous law or were a tattooer in your previous state and have tax records to prove it. Now granted when this law first passed I have to admit there was at least one school who turned out some legitimate tattooers, but those people saw the harm it did to the industry and shut down. Now we have a couple of schools just looking to take peoples money, feed them the answer to the test and then send them on their way. Most students don't get hired in a shop and they end up tattooing out of their kitchen and those that do end up tattooing in a shop started by a student who graduated last year or some shifty hack tattooer just looking for someone desperate who they can charge whatever station rent or split to. Here are a couple examples of schools and shops that this has created here.

| Captain Jacks Tattoo and Piercing Studio - Portland, OR - Hawthorne - Custom Tattoo's

Forbidden School of Body Art

and the shop that hires them

Tattoo -Voodoo Tattoo PDX

Is this going on other places?

Someone should just sit down and watch the show with a timestamp running and just annotate every instance of health code violation that is caught on video and turn it in to NY DOMH as a formal complaint. They'd be forced to shut down.

I thought about doing this, obviously with the help of a tattoo artist friend since I'd miss loads myself. Been waiting for someone to upload the show to the internet, but I haven't seen it yet. I think there are a few people trying to make that happen so they can do this.

Someone should just sit down and watch the show with a timestamp running and just annotate every instance of health code violation that is caught on video and turn it in to NY DOMH as a formal complaint. They'd be forced to shut down.

I thought about doing this, obviously with the help of a tattoo artist friend since I'd miss loads myself. Been waiting for someone to upload the show to the internet, but I haven't seen it yet. I think there are a few people trying to make that happen so they can do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...