Itchy tattoo?

slayer9019

Let me start off with this...pain is much easier to deal with than an itch you cannot scratch!

My new tattoo (just an outline so far) is INSANELY itchy! Other than lightly slapping it or putting more Aquophor on it what can you do to stop this insane itch!! I have a feeling it might be more then hairs growing back in than the tattoo itself since it is only an outline. Please help!

all tattoos itch. it's a sign that it's healing up right (as with any other wound). just put aquophor or lotion on it, and try to chew gum or do something else to take your mind off the itchiness. sometimes an icy compress works for me as well since it provides a different sensation to that area, but i wouldn't recommend putting ice directly on your tattoo. i usually take a ziploc bag of ice, wrap it in a towel, and then i'm good for a little while (especially in summer).

all tattoos itch. it's a sign that it's healing up right (as with any other wound). just put aquophor or lotion on it, and try to chew gum or do something else to take your mind off the itchiness. sometimes an icy compress works for me as well since it provides a different sensation to that area, but i wouldn't recommend putting ice directly on your tattoo. i usually take a ziploc bag of ice, wrap it in a towel, and then i'm good for a little while (especially in summer).

Wow ice worked wonders! Thanks a lot for the tip!

Since my tattoo artist is currently on vacation I will ask everyone here.

My tattoo is still very itchy sometimes. It just hit the 2 week mark and am not sure if it is even healed yet. (I read the other thread about leg tattoos possibly taking longer.) Is it normal for the tattoo to stay very itchy after two weeks? I was just wondering if there is a possibility that I am allergic (however rare) to the ink, since this is my first tattoo, although I could just be bitching without cause.

Since my tattoo artist is currently on vacation I will ask everyone here.

My tattoo is still very itchy sometimes. It just hit the 2 week mark and am not sure if it is even healed yet. (I read the other thread about leg tattoos possibly taking longer.) Is it normal for the tattoo to stay very itchy after two weeks? I was just wondering if there is a possibility that I am allergic (however rare) to the ink, since this is my first tattoo, although I could just be bitching without cause.

i've had tattoos take 6 weeks to heal. it all depends on your skin, diet, health, etc. this doesn't sound out of place.

• 3 months later...
I do have to say it is back to insane itchy levels again but it is definitely hair related. Hairy leg + shave = insane itchiness!!!!!!

Ha ha! I never linked the two together before. I think you may be on to something though. I had both my arms done with variations between none and mild enough to be annoyed itching. My back, I didn't have any real issues with. But the piece on my leg? If I remember right, that took a couple weeks longer to heal AND it itched like crazy!

Ha ha! I never linked the two together before. I think you may be on to something though. I had both my arms done with variations between none and mild enough to be annoyed itching. My back, I didn't have any real issues with. But the piece on my leg? If I remember right, that took a couple weeks longer to heal AND it itched like crazy!

Yea I figured it out when I shaved my leg a few days earlier before the tattoo and the itch came in a massive wave. I will comment when I get my arm done to verify.

Benadryl or some other over the counter med might help if you're going crazy.

My new tattoo was very itchy and it's been 2 weeks.

Definitely worse at night, when I am tired.

I personally found a few beers and the itch is almost gone!

I very much agree on the itchier at night. That is usually the time it is INSANE. My roommate thought I was on drugs once because I burst out of my room because it itched so bad then rummaged through the freezer for frozen veggies. Freezing cold is the absolute best, greatest, wonderful thing for itchy tattoos. Trick is to cover more than the tattoo with the cold item (frozen peas are my favorite!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I just got my leg done. Well its being done in stages. I just had the first stage done friday night and its sunday night now and my leg itches to high he!!. Its fine during the day but at night when im laying in bed its pretty bad. I had my back done 10 years ago and i honestly didn't have much iching but my leg is going crazy. Its like i have poison ivy. The things we do to ourselves and put ourselves through.

13 hours ago, Redhead4lyf said:

I just got my leg done. Well its being done in stages. I just had the first stage done friday night and its sunday night now and my leg itches to high he!!. Its fine during the day but at night when im laying in bed its pretty bad. I had my back done 10 years ago and i honestly didn't have much iching but my leg is going crazy. Its like i have poison ivy. The things we do to ourselves and put ourselves through.

The posts above are all viable options to help with the itching. I personally use A&D ointment to heal my tattoos (this usually takes away most of the itchiness). if its still itchy i lightly pat the tattoo to relieve the irritation. 

• 2 weeks later...
Let me start off with this...pain is much easier to deal with than an itch you cannot scratch!

My new tattoo (just an outline so far) is INSANELY itchy! Other than lightly slapping it or putting more Aquophor on it what can you do to stop this insane itch!! I have a feeling it might be more then hairs growing back in than the tattoo itself since it is only an outline. Please help!

I have super sensitive skin that's chronically itchy even without a tattoo.... Last week was HELL lol. Omg, I was staring at hydrocortisone cream longingly like it was a celibate date. If you find a solution... Let me know lmao

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Quotidianlight said:

I have super sensitive skin that's chronically itchy even without a tattoo.... Last week was HELL lol. Omg, I was staring at hydrocortisone cream longingly like it was a celibate date. If you find a solution... Let me know lmao

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

just  scratch it or rub with the palm of your hand real lightly so you don't scratch off scabs,I do it all the time.it's not going to hurt the tattoo. 

Edited by Dan

• 10 months later...

Hey, I just got my first tattoo 4 days ago and just yesterday it started to itch like crazy. I apply a small layer of aquaphor 3 times a day. My aunt said she iced hers but I worry a lot about it getting infected. Is icing it a good idea?