Intro and raised ink touch-up concern

nathuk

Hey guys, I’m Nathan, 26 with an interest in black and grey. I’m from the UK, but I’m backpacking in Australia.

I appreciate quite new style tattooing, like those by _mfox, but I can and do appreciate all types of work when well-done. I am also undergoing tattoo removal, so shoot me any questions regarding that if you wish. 

I have a few questions regarding tattoo health, which is why I joined the forum.

Easy, and hope y’all are well.

Edited by nathuk

Replying to my own topic, but I guess I may as well ask my question here.

I’ve done plenty of my own research and I’ve scoured the forum, but I’m still interested in your insight. I had an 11-month healed and well-executed tattoo touched up 4.5 months ago. It had ink fallout on two little bits, but the artist (not the original) redid the entirety of the tattoo instead... for uniformity of colour, I presume, though I knew and know this wasn’t necessary. It is now raised throughout; some bits more than others... like Braille. She also inked an Old English tattoo on my thigh in the same session, which healed perfectly - flush with the skin. Based on her portfolio and the reputable studio she works in, she is quite talented. 

Granted, I was mistaken and ill-advised, not covering the tattoo when I went outside on walks and even, on occasion, applying sun lotion (an open wound, I know). Other than those massive blunders, correct aftercare was followed. In full, the tattoo has a second layer of ink over what was otherwise a saturated tattoo, combined with poor aftercare.

Scar tissue? Swelling? Purely consequence of a second layer of pigment making the skin rise as of unnecessary touching-up? Anyone have experience with this, specifically with touch-ups? Appreciate any insight. Again, it’s been 4.5 months since, so beyond those initial healing speculations.

B385B4E2-AA35-47C1-9138-1B8F2B023CFD.jpeg

• nathuk changed the title to Intro and raised ink touch-up concern

Welcome to LST and thanks for sharing your tattoo and question(s).

I don't have experience with touch ups or 2nd layers, but I do have a few raised portions of tattoos done by some great artists (Jill Bonny, Chad Koeplinger, Jondix, Mike Wilson). For reference, the raised areas on are on both of my forearms and the center of my back. Each of these raised areas are small portions of larger tattoos that healed perfect with no raising. The tattoos on my forearms are over 10yrs old and the raised portion of my back is ~7or8.

In all honesty, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sometimes, I even find myself touching the raised areas and thinking about the design. Perhaps it's less worry because I have a lot of coverage and the raised portions only make up a small %. If you only have a few tattoos and one of them is raised, I can see how it could be questionable. So... the solution is to KEEP GETTING TATTOOED! 😁