Instagram

Ursula

Personally, my phone has become a repository for screen captures for all the tattoos I am in awe of. I've spent a few lunch breaks browsing on my phone taking note of the amazing tattoos, tattooers out there and subjects that inspire. It's no substitute for a good publication with high quality photos though. But it's lead me to learn about or see more work from artists who are not published as much and also find out about tattooers from other countries who have never been published, in my case, in a US publication for example "kojiichimaru" who until IG, I had never seen published anywhere and "gasentat2" who've I've only seen published in a Japanese publication on backpieces.

BTW, I'm "lgoda" on IG.

Big fan of kojiichimaru he was a good find!

I really like Koji Ichimaru's work too!

- - - Updated - - -

@Hands On - I love your bonsai photos. My husband is just getting into it. We had an adventure finding a tree for him to bring back from the woods a few days ago. It was fun, and he's thrilled. We have some baby red maples growing in pots too. Many, many years away from being able to do much of anything, from what I understand.

The challenge for me has been following too many tattoo artist and get away from the "disposable" aspect that you stated. I follow and unfollow based on content.

Agreed. I've been the same way. Years ago I used to follow TONS of tattooers on IG. Then I started unfollowing tattooers that are nowhere near my geographically (UK tattooers, Australian tattooers, shoot even a handful of East Coast tattooers). But then I found myself missing out on some good guest spots from these tattooers. So now I'll follow my favorite tattooers regardless of location. Sometimes I'll just follow the shop account if it's active enough. I did unfollow tattooers that I know I'll never get tattooed by or doesn't fit what I'm looking for aesthetically because they're too good and they have giant wait lists.

You are an inspiration, sir. Because of this I've been doing an Instagram cull. Now if I could just wean myself off LST I'd be set.

I'm going to challenge myself stop posting negative/sarcastic comments and stick to the established threads (latest, back piece, awesome, etc.) Reading some of the intro/troll threads is counter productive to my life goal of peace and happiness.

this just reminded me to do an instagram audit. down to following 104. hope this helps me disengage my face from my phone.
I'm successfully down from over 1000 to about 750. And I kept all of you LST folks. The things I do for internet friends...:D

Great idea. Time for IG AUDIT! Keeping LST homies too. ATX 2015 OR BUST DAWG.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time, I saw tattoos I recognized from Instagram in public (and in a non-tattoo setting like a convention or shop). I was walking down the boardwalk in OCMD and saw a kid with the back of his calves done by Civ. They were two of my favorite tattoos, so it was cool to actually see them. I guess it was bound to happen. I wish I'd had the chance to talk to the kid about them, but it was pretty crowded and I only noticed them in passing.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nathan.l.jones.9 I don't post much, as I don't have a smartphone and posting from the tablet is a little shaky. I do use it to follow local artists, getting an idea of which one I'd like to do my next piece, seeing which ones are active, and generally enjoying the art.