Instagram

Ursula

Has anyone been keeping up with the Horyioshi 3/Horikitsune v Shige fight that's been blowing up on instagram? I saw some stuff yesterday but it appeared to be losing steam. @mike.aka.theathens on instagram had more to say today, posting a Shige bodysuit and a Filip Leu bodysuit from 1999, calling out Shige for copying! I know on the board here we have discussed outright thievery vs. an homage to the original - anyway - this is something going on. Anyone have any thoughts or know anything about what sparked all this?

Edited to add screencap for clarification.

My thoughts are that Internet drama is stupid and if there's a problem between them they should deal with it like grown ups.

by appearing on the next season of Ink Master as contestants!

but yes it is embarrassing that this feud has become a dramatic public social media war. but it also interesting to read the opinions of some of the well known artists that are supporting either side.

While I think the conversation about the line between plagiarism and inspiration is an interesting one, in this particular instance I feel uncomfortable gossiping about people I don't even know in such a public forum.

(But I will echo the comment that I find Instagram beefs really childish!)

Has anybody eaten at the Miss Ko restaurant in France by chance?

Miss K? - Restaurant Paris 8 - restaurant gastronomique sur Paris - restaurant asiatique Paris

Seems bizarre to use irezumi as a design theme for the branding of a japanese restaurant. Almost cheapening the whole process of getting extensive tattoo work. especially when you read that the "Miss Ko" image is the tattoo art design photochopped onto a clean-skinned model. smells like ultra-chic high society bullshit. how edgy and exotic, my taste buds are bursting!

Whenever marketing/branding gets involved in the 'tattoo scene' there seems to be bad mojo...permanent art meets disposable consumerism.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry/not sorry/offtopic

ok back to INSTAGRAM ! and square pics of your cute dog, pissed off cats, and the odd tattoo curiousity

dennis_kool

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted reiterate about #americanatattoos right now. There is a 'takeover' in play now that has some amazing stories and history. First and second, or even third hand old stories about this art we love is so awesome and it's amazing that people seem to be coming out of the woodwork on IG to tell their piece of it. I kinda hate the social medias as much as I gawk at it but, there has been 'takeovers' on a few IG pages where I've thought to myself "This is really special. If one were to not see this here, it wouldn't be seen, ever," It's really quite amazing. The folks doing these takeovers are passionate and really dig in and bring it. Many of them could be made into books. I love it. Y'all should too :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll have to check out @support_good_tattooing and @thebesttattooartists.

I'll echo what was said about @americanatattoos and some of the neat old history things they post. Really cool.

I've said it before, I'm constantly impressed with the collections that @ivarro is finding to post on @livedintattoos. I'm humbled that he even asked me, because every Sunday I'm jealous of the tattoos that people are posting. Whenever I think a collection can't be topped, someone else pops up and crushes it.

Probably obvious that I look like that without the picture...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to check out @support_good_tattooing and @thebesttattooartists.

I'll echo what was said about @americanatattoos and some of the neat old history things they post. Really cool.

I've said it before, I'm constantly impressed with the collections that @ivarro is finding to post on @livedintattoos. I'm humbled that he even asked me, because every Sunday I'm jealous of the tattoos that people are posting. Whenever I think a collection can't be topped, someone else pops up and crushes it.

Thanks for the suggestions, and totally agree about livedintattoos and thanking @Iwar for thr work he does to maintain it. It was nice to be able to see some of @Eilin's amazing collection recently, and a bunch of other people who may or may not be on this board.

Pretty ambivalent about and even afraid of smart phones, but so far it's all been positive.

Pretty ambivalent about and even afraid of smart phones, but so far it's all been positive.

I prefer a tablet for Instagram.

I finally broke down and replace my old mini flip phone with a smaller than normal and cheap smartphone. I refuse to become yet another zombie, pulling it out at the first sign of boredom, however. If I can do the smartphone thing, so can you!

smartphone2.jpg

I still carry a flip. I have a Rugby Pro Android phone for work, but have voice and text forwarded to my personal flip. I only get company email on the smartphone. I do Instagram on it occasionally, too. I usually carry it in my backpack or riding jacket. I do most "surfing" on an Android tablet.

I never would have abandoned the flip if I could've found a decent replacement battery for it, though I didn't try particularly hard. It was a great phone, though--it could land on cement and the battery and SIM card would pop out and you could reassemble it and it would be fine. Pretty comfortable for making calls, too. Apparently the cool people have them again now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...