Accidentally scratched new tattoo. Is it ruined?

Rosebud91291

So I got a new tattoo about a week and a half ago. It looked great at first (first photo) but then, that night after I got it, I accidentally scratched it in my sleep in the space between the two eyes of the tattoo, causing it to bleed a bit. I immediately cleaned and moisturized it, but it began to scab. I've done my best not to disturb it as it scabbed and healed, although sometimes the scabs would come off when I washed it in the shower, etc. Now, however, it looks very messed up and pitted in that same space between the two eyes (second photo). It also looks very faded and milky and the black outline along the inner corner of the left eye seems to have disappeared completely! I'm very concerned that I have may have accidentally ruined it. Does this look like a normal part of the healing process or is the tattoo scarred or otherwise permanently damaged? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

184919437_533580007808173_7866478020230466312_n.jpg

186524120_1161269434295796_1431154694477409511_n.jpg

Edited by Rosebud91291

@SStuThanks for the advice. I figured as much, I was just concerned because I feel I scratched it quite hard with my fingernails since I caused it to bleed. My fingernails aren't that long, but still, seeing the blood and bits of black under my fingernails the next day was disconcerting. 

Edited by Rosebud91291

7 hours ago, SStu said:

9 days in is just too early to say. 

doesn't look infected. 

it's not likely you did any damage with a simple light scratch. just going to have to wait the normal 4-6 weeks to get an accurate outcome. 

@SStu One more follow-up question, does the area in question look scarred at all to you? That's my main concern. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Rosebud91291 said:

@SStu One more follow-up question, does the area in question look scarred at all to you? That's my main concern. Thank you!

just going to have to wait the normal 4-6 weeks to get an accurate outcome.  😉

You know that the ink is UNDER the skin, right? Unless you scratched all the way down to the ink, you didn't hurt it. Put away the microscope, have a drink, relax, wait a month, then look at it again.

2 hours ago, Hogrider said:

just going to have to wait the normal 4-6 weeks to get an accurate outcome.  😉

You know that the ink is UNDER the skin, right? Unless you scratched all the way down to the ink, you didn't hurt it. Put away the microscope, have a drink, relax, wait a month, then look at it again.

@Hogrider Thank you, I know I still have awhile to wait, I just got concerned when it appeared as though the tattoo was scarring. I appreciate the advice. 

Okay sorry to keep asking about this, but I just want to keep on top of the issue. The spot in question (between the eyes, photo below) is now getting even whiter and cloudier. Does this still seem normal or is it possibly a scar? Thank you for catering to my insane anxiety!

186264962_133439285410870_6394041311469400923_n.thumb.jpg.d0d03e91a192ab076f19588ee7e973da.jpg

49 minutes ago, Rosebud91291 said:

Okay sorry to keep asking about this, but I just want to keep on top of the issue. The spot in question (between the eyes, photo below) is now getting even whiter and cloudier. Does this still seem normal or is it possibly a scar? Thank you for catering to my insane anxiety!

186264962_133439285410870_6394041311469400923_n.thumb.jpg.d0d03e91a192ab076f19588ee7e973da.jpg

052D43CE-16E4-469E-8F3C-5713E4006875.gif

The tattoo I posted about recently has zero meaning and no significance to me whatsoever other than that it looks super cool and I am just as anxious about it healing wrong and would be so sad and upset also on a spiritual level, so I get where you’re coming from lol

1 hour ago, Rosebud91291 said:

Fair enough! Part of the anxiety is due to the fact that this is a sacred symbol of my tribal nation so the thought of possibly having ruined it is upsetting on a spiritual level as well, if that makes any sense. 

On 5/20/2021 at 11:02 PM, Rosebud91291 said:

Fair enough! Part of the anxiety is due to the fact that this is a sacred symbol of my tribal nation so the thought of possibly having ruined it is upsetting on a spiritual level as well, if that makes any sense. 

Way to early to even think about it, but if there are any issues, the artist can touch it up. You really need to calm down, put the microscope down and just wait to see what you've got in 4-6 weeks.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:58 AM, soderpopzzz said:

The tattoo I posted about recently has zero meaning and no significance to me whatsoever other than that it looks super cool and I am just as anxious about it healing wrong and would be so sad and upset also on a spiritual level, so I get where you’re coming from lol

It's the worst isn't it?! I hope yours is doing better! 

• 1 year later...

@Rosebud91291 I completely understand your anxiety. My tattoo also has special meaning to me and I am ashamed of having made such a mistake. I recently grazed my skin on a year-old tattoo and after a few days it looked like the top layer of skin was peeling off. Now there is a shiny white spot where the peeling occurred. I am super worried about a scar forming on top and effectively changing the design. In certain lighting there is no white visible and instead the ink appears more vibrant, so I am hoping that the mark is a temporary part of the skin healing again. It has only been a week and am hoping it will go away on its own but could use some reassurance as well. There was no bleeding so I am guessing that this has only affected the epidermal layer of skin. Can anyone advise if a visible scar can result or will I be okay in a few weeks? I will try to relax and wait as well, but doing so is difficult, so any insights would be greatly appreciated.