Washing/moisturizing new tattoo

Aqua

Hey guys,

got a big piece done of my shoulder on Saturday and my artist gave me vague aftercare instructions. He told me to clean it after taking the second skin off but didn’t mention what do after?

I have other tattoos from when I was younger and I honestly remembering... cleaning them once and just moisturizing them after that? I also asked my fiancé who has full sleeves if he washed his everyday and he said no. 

I’m on day four and I wash it at nighttime with antibacterial soap and pat dry and then I put on a thin layer of luberderm on at morning and night. I keep it covered at work with a clean shirt, let it breath when I’m home and I’m careful to not touch it or lean up against anything (it’s on the back of my shoulder) I also do not sleep on it and keep my sheets clean.

my question is- should I be washing and moisturizing it more? It’s starting to peel and itch. I’ve read a lot of people wash it 2-3 times a day and moisturize is 3+ a day. Is one wash at night and 2 applications of moisturizer enough? I really don’t want it to get infected. 

1 hour ago, Aqua said:

my question is- should I be washing and moisturizing it more? It’s starting to peel and itch. I’ve read a lot of people wash it 2-3 times a day and moisturize is 3+ a day. Is one wash at night and 2 applications of moisturizer enough? I really don’t want it to get infected. 

You don't get an infection from washing it, you get an infection from NOT washing it. For the first week, I wash it twice a day and put a little moisturizer on it 2 or 3 times a day. Key word being LITTLE. So many people post pics on here and the tattoo looks like it's swimming.