Areas of your body you WON'T tattoo

Ursula

i won't tattoo my face ever, one minor reason is cos even though i dont wear make up very day, on the event that i do, the foundation would make the tattoos look dull and faded and i cant be fucked taking off the bit just on the tattoo, too much hassle but the main reason is that i simply don't want one.

i don't think i will get my palms tattooed but never say never, i just dont see it in the near future for me, same for the soles of my feet. once i get sick of growing my hair i will probably get my head tattooed (i've been growing it for 5 years, who knows for how much longer)

i wont tattoo faces, palms or genitals. i simply have zero desire in seeing anyone else's junk. i know other tattooers see it as just another body part but it's just not for me.

I'm going to preface this with "As of now" so as not to possibly be a liar later. As of now I would not consider getting my scalp, face, the front of my neck, girly parts, or buttocks done. I don't think I'd be able to sit through my elbows. I recently burned myself on the elbow, it took a very long time to heal and it was such a pain. A very, very annoying pain. By the same reasoning, I'd probably pass on the knees.

I probably won't tattoo my face, save for small parts extending from my hairline. I doubt I'll get my ballsack, perineum or arse hole tattooed. Weiner tattoos are too amusing to say never, but I probably won't. I don't have any desire to get the tips of my fingers tattooed either, or between my toes. Fuck that.

Stuff I won't tattoo on you: Genitals or anywhere in your mouth (except people I know, if they are not creepy)

That's pretty much it, although I refuse to tattoo plenty of stuff based on personal circumstance. I'm probably not gonna do your first tattoo on your palm or eyelid.

Stuff I don't really like tattooing: Lips, eyelids, fingers (+thumbs), ears, elbow, throat, under the chin. I do most of them regularly but they are the type of thing you don't always want to do at the end of a long, busy day.

I actually found that my elbow was really not that bad! If you can sit through a rib, shin or back tattoo you'll probly be able to sit through an elbow. I actually found almost all my other tattoos to hurt a lot more than my elbow now that I really think about it. Knees on the other hand, I still have my open partly because I'm worried about being able to sit through it. When I do get them done I will 100% be on pain killers.

I want to go as far as my job will let me....which being that I travel to different countries I just realized I have to watch out! I've heard that tattoos can be very taboo in other cultures. This also adding to the fact that I am client facing 100% of the time. So...far the plan is to stop at the wrists and collar, otherwise I think everything else is fair game.

I said that recently, then remembered that my entire ass is tattooed.

Funny the things you forget sometimes.

Haha, yeah I sometimes forget about the tattoos on my back! I think the arse is a good place to get tattooed for the size and shape of the place, especially when backpieces go down to there... but I complain enough about healing tattoos enough to have to have a healing one that I also have to sit on!

I actually found that my elbow was really not that bad! If you can sit through a rib, shin or back tattoo you'll probly be able to sit through an elbow. I actually found almost all my other tattoos to hurt a lot more than my elbow now that I really think about it. Knees on the other hand, I still have my open partly because I'm worried about being able to sit through it. When I do get them done I will 100% be on pain killers.

Ursula, you must be hard as nails. My elbow still hurts from work I got just this afternoon. I'm kind of pathetic though, to be honest, haha.

It also could have been that the guy who did it isn't really tough when he tattoos. I also had the backside of my arm from him and found it to be pretty easy. My elbow is also pretty small and the tattoo only took maybe an hour at the most, plus it's a traditional piece so there isn't a lot of fancy colour mixing or fading from one to another. I am sooooo far from being tough when I'm getting tattooed normally so I dunno, guess I just got lucky and I'm glad for it!

I can;t touch my throat without feeling weird for hours, so tattooing it wont happen. the sides of my neck are game though. I don't need palm tattoos. No junk either.

That said, I'll get to my neck and hands when I get there. I think you need to earn that stuff.

I won't do genitals. I don't like to do hands, really, unless the person has full sleeves. I don't think I would do palm or foot bottoms either.

For 100% sure- my thighs. Idk why but I just dont like how it looks on most people.

I said Id never tattoo my chest but now I have 4 and thinking about filling in the space with a chest piece.

Said I'd never tattoo any part of my head and I have a small tattoo behind my ear.

I want to tattoo my hands but can't because of the profession Im hoping to go into.

It also could have been that the guy who did it isn't really tough when he tattoos. I also had the backside of my arm from him and found it to be pretty easy. My elbow is also pretty small and the tattoo only took maybe an hour at the most, plus it's a traditional piece so there isn't a lot of fancy colour mixing or fading from one to another. I am sooooo far from being tough when I'm getting tattooed normally so I dunno, guess I just got lucky and I'm glad for it!

I think maybe you're right- I know some tattooers who are really gentle, and I think one of them can do my other elbow, haha! Actually, one who's really gentle, Hayley Parkin in Newcastle, usually does my tattoos, so maybe I just wasn't expecting it to be so painful after having lots from her!

My tattoo (though not all on my elbow!) took about three times the time yours did- another hour and I'd have been crying for me mam, haha.

I'm probably never getting my face, neck, head, soles of feet or inside of lip tattooed. I'm partially open to hands/palms, but only if I get to the point where I don't have any space left and I'm not putting my income/work in jeopardy. It's not likely to happen anytime soon, if at all.

Oh, and I'll probably never get my armpits done either.

For the elbows/knees the pain factor would only be half the reason. I have some pretty good reflexes and little control of them, and I'm sure the person working on me would get tired of chasing me around the chair. I think I'll pass on the pits as well, as much as I love crying in public. And I hadn't even thought about finger tips. Didn't needles in finger tips use to be a torture? Pass on that too.

By fingertips are you all meaning the last third of your fingers or very tippity tip of your fingertips?

I meant the pads of my fingers. I once watched a friend do a tattoo from centre of a palm, up the inside of the thumb, to within a hair's width of the thumbnail bed.

I have no desire to feel that. I think he almost saw God. or cursed him.

It healed pretty good eventually though.

To be honest I wouldn't consider going below my wrists or above my collar bones because in the course of my work i would prefer (and arguably am expected) to be able to wear my suit and tie and not be visibly tattooed. We have dress and appearance guidelines which don't expressly forbid tattoos - but I'd be naive to think visible coverage wouldn't affect how the public perceive me and how my bosses view me as a prospect for promotion. Maybe in ten or twenty years time things will be different, but for now I think Irish society remains pretty conservative when it comes to tattoos and I have to prioritize providing for myself and people depending on me over what I might personally prefer. I'm not sure whether that makes me at risk of sounding like a bit of a 'tourist' in a forum like this... But there it is...

Lately I've seen some badass back-of-the-hand tattoos (particularly old school heads and skulls) and some neck tattoos from the guys at East Tattoo that have really blown me away. I think in different circumstances I would be up for that.

In the meantime I have plenty of space to work with without worrying about it anyway- my back to be done next, for a start. After that I still have room to go below the elbows if I want, both sides of my ribs and my lower right leg.

I hadn't even considered my armpits, to be honest, but (a) I am far too hairy for there to be any point and (b) I guess it just fundamentally doesn't appeal, besides the idea itself just being excruciatingly painful.