Areas of your body you WON'T tattoo

Ursula

I think (well, I hope) everyone on this forum will not get anus, eyeball, tongue, and lip tattoos.

Every one has their own preferences with hand, neck, head... Mainly highly visible/immediate termination of employment tattoos... But I hope we all agree to never be THAT girl (mentioned above) :)

I think (well, I hope) everyone on this forum will not get anus, eyeball, tongue, and lip tattoos.

Every one has their own preferences with hand, neck, head... Mainly highly visible/immediate termination of employment tattoos... But I hope we all agree to never be THAT girl (mentioned above) :)

Well I do have to say that the Maori people tattoo their lips as part of their face tattoos which I think look pretty cool. I actually think the eyeball tattoos look interesting but I don't really classify them as tattoos really. Also add the fact they are unproven and 100% permanent makes them not so appealing.

Face and head, genitals and other obscure places. I just dont find them aesthetically pleasing, and especially on a guy like me, who is not badass at all!

I actually quite like hands and neck tattoos, but where I live, it is (thankfully) still reserved for the really tough guys, so I will probably not get any of those.

But we'll see when I get my shit together, and find out what I wanna do with my life. It's hard to make such drastic decisions when you have no idea about what line of work you are going to end up in. And I still have tons of open space, so I havent earned 'em anyway.

In addition to the usual places (hands, face, etc) I don't think I would get a tattoo on any part of my body that is prone to excessive body fat or cellulite (upper arms, thighs, buttocks). I also won't get any on my chest or breasts. Actually, I feel like I wouldn't want any on the front side of my body. I'm more comfortable having them on the back. However, one day I would like one on my forearm blow the crease of my elbow. I guess I'm kind of wimpy when it comes to tattoos even though I like them.

In addition to the usual places (hands, face, etc) I don't think I would get a tattoo on any part of my body that is prone to excessive body fat or cellulite (upper arms, thighs, buttocks). I also won't get any on my chest or breasts. Actually, I feel like I wouldn't want any on the front side of my body. I'm more comfortable having them on the back. However, one day I would like one on my forearm blow the crease of my elbow. I guess I'm kind of wimpy when it comes to tattoos even though I like them.

Where the hell does that even leave to be tattooed? Just your back (which should be reserved for 1 tattoo, or 2-3 collaborative tattoos) and calves?

Where the hell does that even leave to be tattooed? Just your back (which should be reserved for 1 tattoo, or 2-3 collaborative tattoos) and calves?

I think it kinda goes back to the whole "old people with tattoos" thing.

Eventually everything is going to get wrinkled or saggy or misshapen somehow.

Nothing stays in exactly the spot it started out in. I figure I might as well have a bunch of pretty stuff to cover up the parts that I don't love.

Value added.

That way, instead of looking at my thigh and saying "ewww, look at that lumpy thigh", I'll look at my thigh and think "awww! look at that kick ass tattoo!!!"

Lots of places actually. My two shoulders, the center of my back, my lower back, possibly my hip bones--even though that's toward the front it's not in a fatty or a visible place, my calves, and the tops of my feet. When I am older I may put some on my forearms. I'm likely to start moving toward the sides and fronts of my lower legs since I already have some on one leg. That is if I decide to get a lot more tattoos.

I do not want one big giant tattoo on my back. I would rather have one on each shoulder, a big one like a lady head in the middle and either a "tramp stamp" or multiple tattoos on my lower back. It's possible there would still be room for a couple below the ones on each shoulder next to my lady head. I like the look of a lot of smaller tattoos rather than things like "sleeves" where it's all one big tattoo that you can't really make out the individual items.

Maybe so but there was a whole thread on this somewhere. Posted in the thread is the pair of legs with a bunch of clearly separated and visible tattoos, with a sun and moon on each knee. I like that look more than traditional Japanese or traditional American where there's a lot of background connecting everything.

I will never tattoo my hands or breasts, mainly due to the kind of skin in those areas...

the former just does not generally hold up well when you abuse your hands as much as I do at work & with hobbies, and can be hard to heal (especially tattooing..)

the later is just far too thin and sensitive skin for me - I am prone to blowout so I will probably never risk it

Wrists are another I suppose - my skin is just very very thin and there especially , it may look good fresh, but in 5 years I would probably have a mess...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe so but there was a whole thread on this somewhere. Posted in the thread is the pair of legs with a bunch of clearly separated and visible tattoos, with a sun and moon on each knee. I like that look more than traditional Japanese or traditional American where there's a lot of background connecting everything.

"full sock" tattoos are really gaining in popularity. I dig it. Looks great with shorts/ a classy dress and pumps - big shock of color or intricate greywash piece... I'm a big fan of the color socks though. Nice way for women especially to bust out with a fat piece of art outside of the typicall back placement ,but not get the stigma that get associated with sleeves in the workforce .

Never heard of a full sock.

I am so excited. I just made an appointment for Monday night to cover my 20-year old ankle bracelet tattoo. You should have seen the artist's eyes light up when I told him the style I liked and I mentioned Valerie Vargas and Virginia Elwood and people like that. He suddenly went from thinking who knows what about me to hey, wow, this lady knows something about tattoos. He totally thinks I can have a nice tattoo. My boyfriend is away and unreachable so I had nobody to share my excitement with. He'll know nothing until it's already all done.

i'm with @else ... as a woman who has a naturally slow metabolism..my weight fluctuates quite a lot.. add into the equation i have a fair bit of junk in my trunk i'm naturally prone to lumps and bumps... i'd rather they were gorgeously tattooed lumps and bumps though :)

everyone is different though of course though @sbhikes and tis your right to not be tattooed wherever you please! I will eventually have a sleeve but it's made up of individually done traditional style pieces which i will then bring together with some fillers. I'm almost certain you will be able to make out each individual piece :)

Just to be clear, I do not dislike beautiful sleeves with a lot of background. That is just not the look I would want for myself. I would either want something like those legs full of traditional tattoos that were posted in another thread or something like some of the beautiful arms in Victoria Elwood's portfolio with the huge flowers, birds, bees and lots of negative space. I only don't want to tattoo the front of my body because I'm still a working person and not so talented I can flaunt authority too much and honestly, I just don't see myself as a heavily tattooed person so it's like if I can hide them from myself when I'm naked I have a sense of security or something. Just being honest. I love to see women with lots of tattoos. I'm jealous of their free-spiritedness. For as much as I have done amazingly free-spirited things, I'm just still at heart a boring middle class white bread middle-aged lady. When I'm retired and my mom is no longer with us, anything goes though. Ride the rails, live on America's long trails, tattoo another long trail map on my other leg, get a huge Valerie Vargas girl head on my back and birds, flowers and butterflies ala Victoria Elwood all over my arms. Maybe.

Ha ha I just violated my own statement above. My coverup pretty much covers half my leg all the way around. It's beautiful, or will be, because it's not finished. I think these roses are bigger than real roses! Oh well, I'm ruined now. Nothing to let me pretend I'm just a regular lady.

it sounds beautiful though! Besides you are just a regular lady.. a regular lady with pretty things on her body :)

I don't think I'll be tattooing my neck (except for the nape), my face, my chest (though some of these tattoos are gorgeous), the palms of my hands and soles of my feet, the back of my knees, on my knees, and not my center lower back. My stomach is sort of iffy mainly because I'm not even sure what I'd put there.