Suggestions please

Wedge

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions as to what style of tattoo I can put on my arm to fill in the gap between my elbow and the existing eagle. I'm not sure what style wouldn't look out of place there as a random tattoo. I was thinking maybe something neo-traditional like a wolf or owl head but I want to keep to darker colors or b/g. I'm certainly not asking for someone to tell me what specific tattoo to get but more so a style or idea that would at least flow a little so I can go from there. Thank you.

232323232fp4324_nu3248_784_953_WSNRCG338_6__86326nu0mrj.jpg[ATTACH]6255[/ATTACH]

Please feel free to look around on the site at the gallery and portfolios. There also a thread called "Tattoos Designs".

Trust me I've been looking at many pictures here and elsewhere but thank you. I just initially want to find a style that will work and that's hard for me to tell so I also appreciate Ursula's reply. I was going to do something more realistic but a friend thought that a realistic style might not go as well as something more traditional or neo traditional.

Damn, there goes my care bear idea too.

Well honestly, when you are wearing shirt nobody will see that going on. Go for what you like, it all doesn't have to match. But if you start something on your arm, think about what you want on your other arm. Tradtional...Japanese...Realism... depends what your into. You still have a lot of space to work with.

What I found helps is first finding someone really great you can be tattooed by- then you'll probably realise why you like them, by thinking, "yeah, that guy does a great snake", or "she does a wonderful dagger"- then you could ask them to do something like that, while filling in the space.

Worked for me anyway, just today! :)

What I found helps is first finding someone really great you can be tattooed by- then you'll probably realise why you like them, by thinking, "yeah, that guy does a great snake", or "she does a wonderful dagger"- then you could ask them to do something like that, while filling in the space.

I'd say if you're having trouble going with your gut, Mel's advice is pretty solid.

Oh by the way- if you're not too sure on which tattooers you should be looking at from around your area (or even a little further if you can travel!), feel free to ask. Everyone here is pretty knowledgeable on all this stuff, so we'll be able to help you out and keep you out of crap studios if you're unsure.

Oh by the way- if you're not too sure on which tattooers you should be looking at from around your area (or even a little further if you can travel!), feel free to ask. Everyone here is pretty knowledgeable on all this stuff, so we'll be able to help you out and keep you out of crap studios if you're unsure.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty familiar with local tattoo artists but I'm always open for more suggestions. I'm in CT but always willing to travel a couple of hours if needed. Obviously NY is loaded with good traditional style artists but not as many do the newer traditional I think. I've thought about Erick Lynch in Mass ans Justin Weatherholz in NY. I may go with an owl head but since my arms get a LOT of sun I wanted to stay away from real bright colors because I down't want them to fade. I thought about keeping darker colors and maybe some black and reds to match the german eagle above.

That seems pretty sound, it's cool that you're familiar with who's around. :) I don't want to make choosing worse, but Sarah Schor really rocks, and she's more than capable of neo-traditional stuff. Here's her site: sarah schor | Just another WordPress.com weblog

To be honest, there's loads that you can do with that, so I think it's just all down to what you prefer. You could still get a dark owl, I have a picture on my wall in front of me here that Myke Chambers painted of an owl, it's mainly black, red and yellow. As long as you keep you skin protected from the sun, there's no real reason for your tattoos to look like crap really. But make you you use sun BLOCK, not sunscreen. Sunscreen does fuck all most of the time, haha.

I like Sarah Schor's work, she's definitely on my list. I actually saw an owl head on this site done by Stefan Johnsson which is pretty much what I'm looking for with some minor changes. Thanks again for the replies.

Are you talking about the Owl Head that Stefan did on that dudes scalp? That is one nice tattoo. Too bad you can't come out to CA and get it right from the man himself. Cool guy and incredibly talented artist.

Are you talking about the Owl Head that Stefan did on that dudes scalp? That is one nice tattoo. Too bad you can't come out to CA and get it right from the man himself. Cool guy and incredibly talented artist.

Yup, that's the one. I really like that style and think it would work on my arm. And if I could trust me I'd go to CA for this but I think I can find someone more locally doing that similar style.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty familiar with local tattoo artists but I'm always open for more suggestions. I'm in CT but always willing to travel a couple of hours if needed. Obviously NY is loaded with good traditional style artists but not as many do the newer traditional I think. I've thought about Erick Lynch in Mass ans Justin Weatherholz in NY. I may go with an owl head but since my arms get a LOT of sun I wanted to stay away from real bright colors because I down't want them to fade. I thought about keeping darker colors and maybe some black and reds to match the german eagle above.

I am glad I found this place, I met a few local artists but didnt really know what I was looking at. The gang at LST pointed me in the right direction locally and gave me some good options if I wanted to travel

If you've got access to Photoshop you might try this sort of thing. This is my backpiece I'm getting underway in October. Even with my very modest skills it gives you some sort of idea of hows its going to look and fit with your other work. Totally pain free and no need for the laser if it looks shit.

myback1.jpg