Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, I want to get old school classic Americana Traditional sleeve. Maybe that style is not current ... but the yester years have always appealed to me.

I have found an artist that is phenomenal ... clicks all the boxes. But ... he is 1.5 years out for appointment ... and yes really expensive. 400/hr.

Am I crazy to put deposit down and wait ... or should I consider other artists?

I am located in Sacramento area and have considered The Royal Peacock and The American Tradition.

But their work is slightly different .. and me bringing work in from another artist and asking them to nail certain differences ... seems like a risk... and maybe not the right thing to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you REALLLLY want to get tattooed by an artist, the time and money will be worth the wait. Plenty of people on this site have waited for artists they love, myself included. That said, that's a long time to wait when you do have pretty strong options in both Sacramento (Britton at Royal Peacock does great work!) and a reasonable drive to SF/Oakland with plenty of killer artists doing traditional work. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, suburbanxcore said:

If you REALLLLY want to get tattooed by an artist, the time and money will be worth the wait. Plenty of people on this site have waited for artists they love, myself included. That said, that's a long time to wait when you do have pretty strong options in both Sacramento (Britton at Royal Peacock does great work!) and a reasonable drive to SF/Oakland with plenty of killer artists doing traditional work. 

 

Britton is great and if choosing artist here in Sac ... think he is the go to for me. 

The other artist that I originally have been looking at is in SF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I have a feeling I know who you're talking about...

The bay area is so packed with killers that you can't go wrong with a lot of people. It's nice to have options. You can't go wrong with Britton or any number of others out there.

Edited by suburbanxcore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you recommend anyone in particular in SF? I plan on stopping by some shops here in Sac ... and of course am considering those in SF as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jdub said:

But their work is slightly different .. and me bringing work in from another artist and asking them to nail certain differences ... seems like a risk... and maybe not the right thing to do.

 

Yea, asking an artist to cop someone else's style is a no, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jdub said:

Do you recommend anyone in particular in SF? I plan on stopping by some shops here in Sac ... and of course am considering those in SF as well.

I have a gigantic portion of my body covered by Scott Sylvia, and I can't recommend him and the crew at Black Heart enough. He is a legend in the game for good reason - a hell of a tattooer for 30+ years, fast as they come, and a great guy. Plus he started this website. 

Idle Hand is a killer shop in SF as well. 

Temple Tattoo is a bay area institution and worth looking into the guys there. 

FTW in Oakland is a strong shop too. 

A lot of the Spider Murphy's folks have moved and opened Shangri La. Both of those shops are pumping out killer work.

Long story short, there are plenty of places to look in SF/Oakland/Bay Area, and that's just traditional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suburbanxcore said:

I have a gigantic portion of my body covered by Scott Sylvia, and I can't recommend him and the crew at Black Heart enough. He is a legend in the game for good reason - a hell of a tattooer for 30+ years, fast as they come, and a great guy. Plus he started this website. 

Idle Hand is a killer shop in SF as well. 

Temple Tattoo is a bay area institution and worth looking into the guys there. 

FTW in Oakland is a strong shop too. 

A lot of the Spider Murphy's folks have moved and opened Shangri La. Both of those shops are pumping out killer work.

Long story short, there are plenty of places to look in SF/Oakland/Bay Area, and that's just traditional.

Thanks for the recommendations and I will check them out! I know my location is ideal for finding a great artist but am new to the game ... so in the learning mode for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suburbanxcore said:

I have a gigantic portion of my body covered by Scott Sylvia, and I can't recommend him and the crew at Black Heart enough. He is a legend in the game for good reason - a hell of a tattooer for 30+ years, fast as they come, and a great guy. Plus he started this website. 

Idle Hand is a killer shop in SF as well. 

Temple Tattoo is a bay area institution and worth looking into the guys there. 

FTW in Oakland is a strong shop too. 

A lot of the Spider Murphy's folks have moved and opened Shangri La. Both of those shops are pumping out killer work.

Long story short, there are plenty of places to look in SF/Oakland/Bay Area, and that's just traditional.

wow man .. .some incredible work there. lots of options ... thanks for those suggestions. i guess it comes down to availability and cost (i know costs shouldnt be ultimate driver - but ... like everyone ... i have budgets lol). if you care to offer any insights on availability of some of these guys, etc ... please PM me. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I waited 2 years for my left leg appointment. 

On the other hand, $400/hr pushes even my boundaries . . . top notch around here (New Orleans, Houston and Austin) is $175-200. Obviously SOCal is another story . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SStu said:

I waited 2 years for my left leg appointment. 

On the other hand, $400/hr pushes even my boundaries . . . top notch around here (New Orleans, Houston and Austin) is $175-200. Obviously SOCal is another story . . . 

even for socal, i've seen on the higher end $200. even some of the big names when traveling are $200 an hr for first 3-4 hrs and $300 an hr for extra time over that in a single session. but things are different now it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...