The wait

jdub

So, I want to get old school classic Americana Traditional sleeve. Maybe that style is not current ... but the yester years have always appealed to me.

I have found an artist that is phenomenal ... clicks all the boxes. But ... he is 1.5 years out for appointment ... and yes really expensive. 400/hr.

Am I crazy to put deposit down and wait ... or should I consider other artists?

I am located in Sacramento area and have considered The Royal Peacock and The American Tradition.

But their work is slightly different .. and me bringing work in from another artist and asking them to nail certain differences ... seems like a risk... and maybe not the right thing to do.

If you REALLLLY want to get tattooed by an artist, the time and money will be worth the wait. Plenty of people on this site have waited for artists they love, myself included. That said, that's a long time to wait when you do have pretty strong options in both Sacramento (Britton at Royal Peacock does great work!) and a reasonable drive to SF/Oakland with plenty of killer artists doing traditional work. 

4 minutes ago, suburbanxcore said:

If you REALLLLY want to get tattooed by an artist, the time and money will be worth the wait. Plenty of people on this site have waited for artists they love, myself included. That said, that's a long time to wait when you do have pretty strong options in both Sacramento (Britton at Royal Peacock does great work!) and a reasonable drive to SF/Oakland with plenty of killer artists doing traditional work. 

Britton is great and if choosing artist here in Sac ... think he is the go to for me. 

The other artist that I originally have been looking at is in SF

11 hours ago, jdub said:

Do you recommend anyone in particular in SF? I plan on stopping by some shops here in Sac ... and of course am considering those in SF as well.

I have a gigantic portion of my body covered by Scott Sylvia, and I can't recommend him and the crew at Black Heart enough. He is a legend in the game for good reason - a hell of a tattooer for 30+ years, fast as they come, and a great guy. Plus he started this website. 

Idle Hand is a killer shop in SF as well. 

Temple Tattoo is a bay area institution and worth looking into the guys there. 

FTW in Oakland is a strong shop too. 

A lot of the Spider Murphy's folks have moved and opened Shangri La. Both of those shops are pumping out killer work.

Long story short, there are plenty of places to look in SF/Oakland/Bay Area, and that's just traditional.

1 hour ago, suburbanxcore said:

I have a gigantic portion of my body covered by Scott Sylvia, and I can't recommend him and the crew at Black Heart enough. He is a legend in the game for good reason - a hell of a tattooer for 30+ years, fast as they come, and a great guy. Plus he started this website. 

A lot of the Spider Murphy's folks have moved and opened Shangri La. Both of those shops are pumping out killer work.

Long story short, there are plenty of places to look in SF/Oakland/Bay Area, and that's just traditional.

Thanks for the recommendations and I will check them out! I know my location is ideal for finding a great artist but am new to the game ... so in the learning mode for sure. 

1 hour ago, suburbanxcore said:

wow man .. .some incredible work there. lots of options ... thanks for those suggestions. i guess it comes down to availability and cost (i know costs shouldnt be ultimate driver - but ... like everyone ... i have budgets lol). if you care to offer any insights on availability of some of these guys, etc ... please PM me. :)

14 hours ago, SStu said:

I waited 2 years for my left leg appointment. 

On the other hand, $400/hr pushes even my boundaries . . . top notch around here (New Orleans, Houston and Austin) is $175-200. Obviously SOCal is another story . . . 

even for socal, i've seen on the higher end $200. even some of the big names when traveling are $200 an hr for first 3-4 hrs and $300 an hr for extra time over that in a single session. but things are different now it seems. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...