Hi LST - Your thoughts about the symmetry in trad tattoo

ThistleFR

Hi everyone i am new here but have been following LST for a few years now.

I would love to hear your thoughts on symmetry in old school tattooing.

My arms and legs are covered with traditional pieces (no symmetry) and I now wish to continue my all front.

I have always been drawn to a belly / torso with symmetrical parts. I am thinking of building this part of my body with a big part on the chest and a big part on the stomach then symmetrical fillers. (like roses, butterflies ...)

What are your thoughts on this topic?
Edited by ThistleFR

I think if done well, symmetry can look great. At times though runs the risk of looking too perfect or planned out, which isn't necessarily my favorite. Rich Hardy posted a black and grey front on Instagram recently that I think does this very well. 

I have some spots where similar ideas and similar sized pieces play with one across the body, but aren't exactly symmetrical. For example, a very straightforward tudor rose on one knee, then a weird rose morph on the other. And a darker death's head moth on one thigh and a butterfly on the other. 

Ultimately, your call to go with what you think looks best!

14 hours ago, oboogie said:

Did you use an app or something? It's the weirdest-looking post I've seen.

I have tons of American traditional. None of my art is symmetrical. Do whatever you like.

My phone is starting to be obselete and I don't know why the post looks like this... Weird

10 hours ago, suburbanxcore said:

I think if done well, symmetry can look great. At times though runs the risk of looking too perfect or planned out, which isn't necessarily my favorite. Rich Hardy posted a black and grey front on Instagram recently that I think does this very well. 

I have some spots where similar ideas and similar sized pieces play with one across the body, but aren't exactly symmetrical. For example, a very straightforward tudor rose on one knee, then a weird rose morph on the other. And a darker death's head moth on one thigh and a butterfly on the other. 

Ultimately, your call to go with what you think looks best!

Thanks for the answer, I totally agree with you, it seems to be too planned in advance. I'll think about it when the main rooms will be finished, may be for fillers.

Anyway, the front posted on Rich Hardy's instagram is really great with symmetrical snakes, flowers and butteflies. It really puts the main pieces foreward when it is well done.