Lower leg tattoo

CaptCanada

@chyden89I'm sure I've posted it somewhere in this thread, but lower leg tattoos are a real rough heal for me, even from artists I've gotten incredibly easy healing tattoos from in other locations. Two weeks is a little long, but not crazy for me in terms of leg tattoos. Scale back on your lotion, keep it clean, and be patient. 

Edit: somehow missed this last page about swelling. When I got my shins done, it looked like I got hit by a bat for quite a while. I'd also recommend the ibuprofen and elevation, if possible. 

Edited by suburbanxcore

18 hours ago, chyden89 said:

What about the swelling, my foot and ankle are like a balloon today

try taking an OTC  anti-inflammatory  like any ibuprofen,

try icing it with ice in a plastic bag wrapped in a towel.

and like was said,try to keep off your feet and keep it elevated.

Edited by Dan

• 5 months later...

This thread helped me a lot, but I'm still struggling with this issue!

I had a similar problem when I had a big Swedish phrase tattooed on my back, below the neck. It was August of two or three years ago and I had like an enormous back ache for a month (rivers of blood, letters became gray after one month and we had to redo everything ahah).

Anyways, this time is on my right leg and so it's way worse 'cos it's always on the floor and I have to walk with it :4_joy::4_joy:
I'm having a sleeve done and the first three sessions have been awesome, big characters, lots of colors and so on. I'm a fast healer and I have a white skin that seems to like a lot colorful tattoos and black drawings even on my inner elbows, on my wrists and so on. (I'll post some pics if there's an appropriate thread!)

Now, the fourth time, as always zero pain (I don't feel anything!), we colored the whole inner calf from the ankle to the knee. Two days later, like 3-4 cm below the tattoo, the ankle area got super swollen and red. My tattoist told me to see a doctor, so I took antibiotics and ibuprofen and in two days the swelling went away. But the pain between my ankle and my lower calf still remains!

I really don't know what to do, apart from waiting :4_joy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/8/2017 at 5:01 PM, thyes said:

Did you go see the doctor? I'm guessing there are very few people in here qualified to give you proper medical advice. 

And since I'm norwegian I'm curious to what the swedish phrase is? :) 

Awesome! Thought it was an all-American forum ahah :) 

"det finns inga svar" taken from lifelover's mental central dialog (2008), having seen hundreds of norwegian and swedish metal bands I think that you can almost understand each other perfectly :) I could bet that the phrase it's almost the same in Norwegian too! :) The album title too "konkurs" I think it's exactly the same both in Swedish and Norwegian.. I had to stick to Swedish in order not to alter it of course but I like Norwegian even more, although they are really harsh language to an Italian/French speaker :4_joy:

Edited by Hel7

18 hours ago, veckatimest said:

Yeah not like healed, healed, did use wrong term. So, burning feel after lotion is normal i guess. thank you :)

Yes, and no. We've heard some bad experiences from folks who have used some of the trendy "tattoo specific" aftercare products - so we aren't sure what exactly you're using. Personally - I don't put anything at all on and into a fresh open wound. Others here do, but you've got to be careful what you put on a new tattoo. 

Found this thread really helpful.

I've got quite a few tattoos , one on my inner ankle got infected last year, made me a bit anxious getting more. Though got a phoenix on my outer thigh n was great, healed the best n real fast. Just got a compass style tattoo last week on lower leg just above the one that was infected last yr, seemed fine but seeps a little bit, when I get out of bed it bluddy hurts to walk.

Reading that lower leg ones hurt, swell etc when healing has been like 'phew' I starting to worry this one was infected too.

I think cos its on the inner calf every time my leg tenses/moves I feel it sore or tight. Sometimes its red n bit hot but not all the time

On September 2, 2017 at 5:12 PM, veckatimest said:

Yeah not like healed, healed, did use wrong term. So, burning feel after lotion is normal i guess. thank you :)

Burning is never normal. I don't use lotion until it starts to peel. Usually A&D ointment for four days, then start with coco butter.

On 28.8.2017 at 1:47 PM, Hel7 said:

Awesome! Thought it was an all-American forum ahah :) 

"det finns inga svar" taken from lifelover's mental central dialog (2008), having seen hundreds of norwegian and swedish metal bands I think that you can almost understand each other perfectly :) I could bet that the phrase it's almost the same in Norwegian too! :) The album title too "konkurs" I think it's exactly the same both in Swedish and Norwegian.. I had to stick to Swedish in order not to alter it of course but I like Norwegian even more, although they are really harsh language to an Italian/French speaker :4_joy:

Well this mug is norwegian ;) I'm pretty sure the majority are americans though, yeah.

Cool! I'm a metalhead myself, and the music that's been made (and still being made) here in Scandinavia is something I'm very proud of - especially black metal. Hehe yeah, norwegian and swedish people have no problems understanding each other. Spoken danish is a bit difficult for me to understand, but if it's written it's almost identical. Finnish is completely out there, could might aswell be chinese. Your quote in norwegian is "det finnes ingen svar", - 'there are no answers' for those who may wonder - so yeah pretty close.

Actually I don't think I've heard Lifelover before, just checked it out now. Sounds tight! Reminds me alot of another swedish band called Shining (check out their song Låt oss ta allt från varandra. Darkest shit I've ever heard, see if you can find a translation and you'll understand what I mean...)

Ontopic: I wish more people opened their eyes to Saniderm or Dermalize. It really is night and day compared to that ol' foil wrapped on your body. Never healing a tattoo the traditional way again!

Edited by thyes

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I love this post. I was starting to feel ridiculous about complaining. I feel like my artist was WAY overly heavy handed though. I can barely walk without being in pain. I did just get mine yesterday though. It bled all night and theres actually a small cut on his ear. I can't take anything but tylenol due to my NSAID allergy, but if anyone has suggestions I'm willing to try. I love this tattoo but I dont want it infected and I would LOVE for it to stop being so swollen and painful. 

So I love this post. I was starting to feel ridiculous about complaining. I feel like my artist was WAY overly heavy handed though. I can barely walk without being in pain. I did just get mine yesterday though. It bled all night and theres actually a small cut on his ear. I can't take anything but tylenol due to my NSAID allergy, but if anyone has suggestions I'm willing to try. I love this tattoo but I dont want it infected and I would LOVE for it to stop being so swollen and painful. 

Ice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

thank you baby jesus i came up to my desk this morning on a mission to reassure myself i wasn"t going to hafta lose my freakin leg!!!! since july 4th ive had 2 sessions 1 for 10 hrs & the other 8. The initial pain of the tattoo itself was nothining like i experienced before(full sleeved both arms). the 1st session was excruciating considering i look forward to ink time cause its generally only time i can catch a nap.....but with legs only time my eyes closed was squencing in pain. but my biggest concern that brought me here today was an absolute rush of pain when i woke up and got out of bed or up from my recliner. this shit is for the F***ing birds!!!! i had plans for my other leg & to be perfectly honest for the 1st time EVER i wasn't even looking forward to session 2 to fininsh my leg. im almost a full week into 2nd session complete & seems like the rush of pain & the swelling gets worse every morning....needless to say im probably 90% convinced that im going to die with 1 plain leg.