Advice on tattoo healing

warrug25

Good morning LST members, I'm here to ask for your advice and experience: as some you may already know, I got my first tattoo on July 19th and after a few problems with cracking scabs it seemed to heal pretty fine... now, I'm in the middle of my third week of healing and I'm starting to notice that something's off:  as you may notice from the photos, there are areas of the tattoo in which the colour of the ink seems to have become someway "greenish" and more in general the tattoo still looks very patchy. Now, I'm wondering if any of you has seen this kind of reaction before and can tell me something more about it: is it just a "let it heal, it will naturally disappear with skin regeneration" situation, or is it something more bothersome which could plague my tattoo forever without any possibility of fixing?

(Just to be perfectly clear, as soon as his studio reopens I will schedule an appointment with my tattoo artist for the first week of Semptember because there are some areas of the tattoo - some faded parts, for example - which definitely need a touch-up... but in the mean time some advice from you tattoo veterans would be really appreciated)

20210810_080919.jpg

20210810_080934.jpg

20210810_080942.jpg

Edited by warrug25
Added photos

So you say that stuff will probably disappear as the tattoo stabilises?

That's very good to know: I really care about the tattoo (it is on my body because of the only two people I've ever loved), and I absolutely need it to be as perfect as a human-made work of art can be.

Let's hope for the best, then... thank you for your advice 😄

5 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

6 - 8 weeks to heal no matter how many questions you ask, or how you rephrase them. 😉

You're right... it's just that as I said I really care about this particular tattoo, so every little "deviation" from the healing path I had in mind turns rapidly into the fear of having to deal with some permanent defect of what I really need to be as perfect as humanly possible. 😔

Huh the what?

14 minutes ago, warrug25 said:

You're right... it's just that as I said I really care about this particular tattoo, so every little "deviation" from the healing path I had in mind turns rapidly into the fear of having to deal with some permanent defect of what I really need to be as perfect as humanly possible. 😔

She’s saying the same thing as stated above. Rephrasing the same questions and explaining the importance and whatever else isn’t going to speed up the healing process. Be patient, see how it looks in a few weeks, and get it touched up if necessary. 

Be warned though: You’ve used the word perfect a few times here. If you expect perfection of an imperfect art form on an imperfect medium, you’re going to constantly find some little thing wrong. Be patient. 

2 hours ago, SStu said:

Absolutely. Life isn't perfect. Relationships aren't perfect. Neither are tattoos. 

This. If you are going to imbue deep meaning into tattoos and want them "perfect," you are headed down an impossible road because tattoos are never perfect. If you can't cope with imperfection, please don't get anymore tattoos.

Stop staring at it. Just enjoy it. You know what it means. That's all that really matters.

Edited by oboogie

You all are right and of course I will accept the inevitable impefections that my tattoo will have 🤗

Probably my phrasing was not really clear... When I say that I would like my tattoo to be "perfect" what I mean is that I want it to be "the best it can reasonably be": I will try to correct the fixable (and worth fixing: I won't run to my tattoo artist for a very slightly crooked line) imperfections and I will take care of my tattoo forever, but I will not freak out over every minor flaw and I will do my best to avoid staring at my tattoo with a microscope. I knew imperfections were inherent in what I was getting when I decided to get a tattoo, and I decided to accept them.

This topic I opened was motivated by the fact that half the tattoo being of a very different colour than the expected one would not be a "minor flaw", and that being beyond correction would definitely upset me... but you told me that probably it's not the case, if I understood correctly, and that's enough for me: I will let my tattoo continue its healing, will get the necessary touch-up (if a touch-up will be necessary: as all of you clearly stated, it's too soon to know) and then I will learn to love what I have on my skin.

Edited by warrug25

• 3 weeks later...

Some tattoos can heal in up to 6 months, and the tattoo will become uniform only after the healing process. However, this time is significantly reduced with proper care, such as avoiding tight clothing and scratching tattoos. In general, there are many ways to take care of tattoos that you can find in the article on the duration of tattoo healing. For me, the most effective was the use of paper towels instead of cloth. Also, I think that drinking plenty of water also affected the speed of healing. So after 3 weeks my tattoo completely healed.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

sorry to jump in! 

so I got a new tattoo by another artist onto my forearm. The Buddha one is a year old and the flowers and eye is 3 days old, which is done by someone else
can someone reassure me that they will blend colour wise? One is obviously darker 

43D0103E-F0EC-480A-97D9-557AE714CBAB.jpeg

0C03F032-C4E3-479E-B068-200B0952E500.jpeg

A98D64E5-5F44-4050-A81E-B0C2086C592F.jpeg

2F211B06-1365-45FD-AB85-6F6AE4E80523.jpeg