sanity check - is this tattoo okay?

Leeps

I just got my fourth tattoo, my largest / most visible one. I got it about 3 weeks ago. I really like the artist, and I liked it as a stencil. Now that it's on me forever I'm feeling less sure... What do you all think? Is it okay, do you think it's a bad tattoo?

I waited a long time to get it (years knowing this artist, 3 months after getting the appointment), and the inspiration behind it is meaningful to me. I'm torn up that I don't like it more 

😞

Edited by Leeps
More details

2 hours ago, Leeps said:

I just got my fourth tattoo, my largest / most visible one. I got it about 3 weeks ago. I really like the artist, and I liked it as a stencil. Now that it's on me forever I'm feeling less sure... What do you all think? Is it okay, do you think it's a bad tattoo?

I waited a long time to get it (years knowing this artist, 3 months after getting the appointment), and the inspiration behind it is meaningful to me. I'm torn up that I don't like it more 

😞

I think it looks fine, it's a nice tattoo IMO,

you have a common case of "tattoo remorse" and it will go away.

I think it's a very nice tattoo, to be honest 😄 and as for your "tattoo remorse", I would suggest you think about the reasons that had you go to your artist and ask for that particular design: if you decided to get it, something in your mind (from the pure appreciation of the design to some deep feeling, you know what) told you that was the right thing to do, and the tattoo you've got now is a "celebration" of that moment, a permanent memory that it happened in your life.

Now, I know it may sound a little too "romantic", maybe even cheesy or some sort of "pseudo-philosophical bullshit"... but I think that moments in our life are important (heck, that may be the only thing we have!), and if some moment led you to decide you wanted that specific design on your body forever then it is in someway a part of who you are now as much as that moment is a step that brought you to where you are now.

That being said, if we must be cynical then you can always try to have it covered or removed... but before you even consider those possibilities please think about what I just told you 😉

Thank you! It doesn't look unfinished or wonky compared to the other tattoos on this site? She drew it at the appointment and I liked it, but now I go through her other work and think this is so much less detailed in comparison.

Edited by Leeps

5 hours ago, Leeps said:

Thank you! It doesn't look unfinished or wonky compared to the other tattoos on this site? She drew it at the appointment and I liked it, but now I go through her other work and think this is so much less detailed in comparison, I'm worried it looks sort of cheesy.

You tell me: is there something missing? You said that this tattoo stems from an inspiration that's meaningful to you: is this inspiration, this feeling you had, represented by the tattoo? If it is, then the tattoo is finished. Sometimes you need a thousand colours and the most minute details to tell your story, some other times you just need a few lines and some spurts of pink, and in each case you decide what's needed: it's your story, after all.

Have you ever read Raymond Carver's work, his short stories and most importantly his poems? If you did not, I strongly suggest you go to your local bookshop tomorrow and buy a copy of "All of us" (which is a collection of all his poems) and some collection of short stories (such as "Call if you need me" or "Where I'm calling from"). You will understand 😉

Edited by warrug25