Iwar

After reading everyones stories i feel obligated to share my own. Well here we go.

I'm Chris, a 19 year old kid from Leiden, The Netherlands.

High-school for me started being the worst time of my life. Being a metalhead since the age of 9 I went to high-school as a 12 year old chubby kid with long hair and a squeeky voice. Since i was the only longhaired metalhead 12 year old the bullies thought of me as an easy target. This led to delving deeper into my music and finding hardcore. Looking back to that time i'm just glad i stayed true to who i am despite all the shit i got for being me. Forward to 16 years old. The hair and the squeeky voice were gone, the bullying wasn't. One day i had enough of it and went apeshit crazy. The little 12 year old turned into a 1,85m high 83kg heavy mass of hatred. No one messed with me after that. Met awesome friends in classes and been hanging out with awesome people ever since. Lot's of parties, lots of concerts. Good times. After high-school i went to University to study law. After 2 months i realized it wasn't for me. Not only was it boring as fuck, the entire system was just build around being a lawyer that makes money of off unfortunate people and i was surrounded by the most self centered people i have ever met. Dropped out and started working at an indonesian take away place where i worked till last summer. I also did and still do vollunteerwork at a homeless shelter. This is where i found what i want to do in life. Helpin people. Started college this september to be a social worker and aced my first testperiod.

For aslong as i am into metal/hardcore i've been into tattoo's. All my favorite artists and bands had tattoo's. They were badass, therefor tattoo's are badass. I had to get tattoo'ed. Luckily I waited till I was 18 years old and went to a good local shop. This was last year. I got the crest of the city i grew up in on my left calf. This city gave me my friends and made me who i am. Everything that happened to me happened in this city and it just felt right getting the crest permanently on my body. More tattoo's will definitely follow in the future but at the moment I simply can't afford quality work.

Take care,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm just found this and hope you won't mind me adding to it.

I'm Erica, 19 year old fat chick from CA. lol great opener isnt it?

I am in college right now, my major is Political Science. I absolutely love govt, law, philosophy, all the things which most kids my age hate. I am hoping, once I transfer, to double major in French and Political science. Then maybe get a master's in Security Studies.

As far as tattoos go, I've wanted one since I was 12. Everyone in my middle school was getting horrible tattoos, and it was the thing to do. All through high school, people would show off their garage tattoos with pride. Everyone always talked about what they were going to get "tatted" and what deep personal meaning it had.

When i turned 18 I started really considering getting tattooed. But I didn't know what I wanted. Then I went to Chinatown in vegas when I was visiting my father and found a Ganesh statue. Then I knew I wanted to get him on me forever. So I searched the internet, Google images, all of that good stuff. I still had alot of predjudices when it came to tattoos. I hated japanese tattoos, i thought they all had to have meaning, didnt think girls should be heavily tattooed.

But in the course of my research and lurking, my attitude changed. january of this year, on the 31st, I got my first tattoo. I was in love and I wanted more. So back to the internet I went to lurk on tattoo websites and looking around and learning what a good tattoo was.

Found myself here, and I love it.

I know sometimes my posts are foolish, or awful, and I do apologize. But I love the vibe of this place, and have learned so much. Changed my ideas about tattoos and tattooing, and it makes me want to go spend all my money grinding images into my skin!

Tomorrow I will be getting my 3rd tattoo, in a year, and the 3rd tattoo so far in my life.

I just want to thank you all for opening my eyes... and creating a new passion in me!

Hi all. I am slowly finding my away around this little space on the inet you've carved out.

I am Tiffany, a 32 year old insurance analyst living in Tampa, FL. I am originally from the burbs of Cleveland Ohio... went to college in BFE PA, then grad school in Atlanta, GA (Go yellowjackets!). After a short stint in Missouri, I moved back to Ohio for a few years and now I am down in the sunny south. I've been here for over 4 years now and don't plan to leave anytime soon. My husband and I adopted a (slightly) deranged dog this past year and are looking into buying a house when our lease is up (sadly, not for awhile).

In my free time I like to knit/crochet (I am awesome at it), visit theme parks (big Disneyphile), and go to my 2 fave local bars/eating spots (where we spend way too much money and know too many of the people). We also love travel and take way too many cruises (leaving this Saturday, in fact, on our 10th Disney cruise)! Weird combination, probably.

I got my first tattoo on my 25th bday... my stepfather bought it as my gift (noone should pay for their first!). I got a couple more within a year or so... all small... and then got busy and didn't get anymore until last October. Now I have several more with ones definitely planned. I just like the art of it... also, my skin is very pale and shows veins and imperfections really well so I like to cover that up.

• 7 months later...

Hi everybody!

I really like this thread :)

Well i am Nick And i live in Belgium, i am now 33 yrs old and before my 27 i had never thought of tattoos or ofcourse being a tattoo artist :) I studied nursery in 1998 but for me that was more being in the bar in front then actually in my courses because i guess it wasn't the correct choice for me. Then i started out in arts (illustrating) i spend 5 yrs there in stead of 4 because i couldn't draw for s**t. Then i met the nefew of my best friend who was creating shockwave games. That was so cool that spend 4 yrs in the game industry. After that i went independant but i thought i wasn' t good enough. Which brings me to the best choice EVER in my life, Return to school to study Digital arts and entertainment in Belgium where i really learned how to draw and to do some cool 3D stuff, programming, etc, Basicly everything that has to do with games and film industry. After i finished my studies over there they really wanted to keep me there for my drawing skills so to fill my financial gap i agreed with their proposal and went teaching. A big suprice to stand in front of 320 hungry students :) This i did for 3 yrs now. In my first yr teaching i had a demand from a tattoo artist to teach him more how to draw correctly and so i did. This was Rouslan Toumaniantz, a very serious and ambitious tattoo artist who was held back a bit by the girl with the stars on her face. After 2 lessons he told me i could draw quite nicely and he asked me if I wasn' t interested in learning how to tattoo. Like i said before, i have NEVER tought about tattoos so that was kinda new for me... I my eyes tattoos where oldschool or ugly drawings. (sorry for this but i didn't knew any better) SO he showed me some work of Dimitryi Samohin, Jesse Smith, Anil Gupta, Jack Ribeiro, and many many others... This got me really interested in the world of tattooing and inspired me to try to tattoo for myself.

At this point i am stopping to teach and going full time tattoo artist.

I must say for all the media i touched like aquarel, oil paint, photoshop, etc, Tattooing is BY FAR the most challenging media to put art...

I have my shop somewhere in Doornik Belgium atm, But i' m really dreaming one day to come to the states and work there together with my girlfriend who is doing now Animschool and her dream is to be animator in Pixar. So one day: San fransisco here we come :) :D (I really dont know if it would be possible but we can dream right ;) )

Hello everyone!

After reading peoples stories about who they are, I thought I should share with you Who I am.

Im not the best at talking about myself, as i find myself to be uninteresting and dumb.

My name is Derek, I am currently 21. I grew up in a small town (pop. around 3000) in Montana. As a kid i had never really seen tattoos or anything like that but when i did they were usually on old military guys, looking back those tattoos were some of the coolest. I loved playing football and snowboarding when I reached high school freshman, but by my sophomore year I had knee problems and had to have surgery on my left knee. After i healed and everything was gravy I started doing sports again, only to have problems in my right knee. Countless doctor visits later I found out i had a tumor in my right knee. summer before junior year is when I got another knee surgery to remove the tumor (it was in my bone) and get a bone graph. Junior year is also when I found out my mother had lung cancer and met the love of my life. So of course I started getting wasted every weekend to push away bad thoughts about cancer and my mom. During my senior year after about a year of Chemotherapy my moms cancer had spread to her liver. The doctor gave her a week to live. Me and my family were there till the end. I had never lost someone close to me before so I didn't know what to do. It was good to have support from my Girlfriend and family. After my brothers and sister left and things were going back to "normal" (like they ever could) my dad passed away 10 weeks after my mom from a heart attack.(enough talking about this stuff.) The summer after graduating high school i got my first tattoo as a memorial for my mother, I wish i had researched it more because im not too happy with how it turned out. I love it but it needs to be better. (ill have it redone with the artist who has done all my work since.) After the summer i moved out of my hometown (too many good memories to stay around and feel sad) to go to college. I will be starting my third year this fall to be a nurse. I just want to help people, on an emotional level as well as physical. Something doctors cant do as well as nurses. Since starting school I have had 24 plus hours of work done in two years. I finally had my chest piece finished, and have a 1/4 sleeve (idk what else to call it). Now i am as happy is i can ever be, im getting married in one week to the love of my life.

Sorry for the long post, like i said im not too interesting its hard to write about myself.

Here is a picture of me and my Fiance.

My names Tom

I started getting tattooed at the age of 18 (now 21) never really cared for other peoples tattoos probably because they were mostly scratcher quality but I always knew I was gonna get tattooed ,so I started buying Australian tattoo magazines to see who the better tattooists out there were, made a good first tattoo decision and never looked back . I also have a twin brother on this forum his name is JimmyS ,we are best mates and are always fucking around. I'm heavily into traditional American and he's right into the Japanese stuff so it will be cool to see how our bodies look in a few more years

Thanks for letting me share and be apart of LST.

Cool thread! I never know how much is too much or too little to share when talking about myself, I guess I'll stick to the basics. Um.. I'm 22, born and raised in the SF bay area. I lived in Marin county during my childhood/teenage years, which essentially means that I grew up in the woods, completely surrounded by wildlife. It was pretty awesome as a kid, I mean how cool is it to see a family of foxes trot through your patio? Getting into being a teen, living out there was pretty fucking boring. At the ages of about 13-14, I was enrolled at a private Catholic school (I am not even remotely religious), royally hating all of it, and just discovering punk rock and the local music scene out in the east bay where my dad lived. I think at that point I was identifying more with countercultural aesthetic, knew that I would eventually get tattoos, but didn't know jack about them or what was possible as far as good tattooing. Skip to my junior year of high school, I got the hell out of Catholic school and transferred to an arts magnet program at a local public school. There is where I met my friend Jen, who had an avid interest in tattoos and took me with her to Spider Murphy's when Stuart did her first. I was pretty mesmerized at that point and knew that I was going to start getting tattooed pretty soon after I would turn 18. I can't even tell you how it blew my mind to learn that tattoos turned into scabs, hahaha. That summer, I took a few courses at the San Francisco Art Institute, learned a lot, and was pretty certain that I'd go to art school for illustration and painting when I was done with high school. I did pretty horrible during my senior year, probably on account of not showing up for most of it. Skipped graduation, got my CHSPE, and got my first job the following fall. That winter, I had just turned 18, decided that it was time to start getting some piercings, parents be damned. My mom got a job in the same town as the shop I was pierced at, so we moved there. I didn't know anyone in town, so guess where I hung out? Fast forward a year, my piercer had become my best friend and I was spending all of my time at the shop. I've been artistically inclined for my whole life and have always wanted to make a living through drawing and illustrations. One particularly nice spring day, it just sorta hit me like a ton of bricks that I ought to learn how to tattoo. I asked the shop owner if he'd teach me, showed him my stuff, and he agreed. My apprenticeship itself has enough stories to write a book, so suffice it to say that I moved to Oakland in September 2011 and it was probably the best decision I've made for myself second to learning how to tattoo. I took a 6 month break from tattooing to get settled into the town, and found the job at the shop I'm at now in March 2012. So.. yeah, that's pretty much it, I suppose! Apart from tattooing, I am somewhat of a nerd. I'm married to my PlayStation 2, I like to be in the woods, I like to make food, I like to go to shows, and read. I really want a pet snake again, I want to learn how to shoot, I'd like to get into martial arts, and I want to learn how to play piano again so I can play prog metal and do crazy arpeggios. :)

Magical thread. I am kinda glad it got revisited.

Virginia born and raised. I grew up on a tobacco farm in southern Virginia right on the North Carolina border. Typical happy upbringing with really wonderful parents. I discovered skateboarding and punk rock and started playing in bands. I went off to college, got a degree in English, and moved to Philadelphia. Hated it and moved to Washington DC. I worked for the feds for a bit, but ultimately went back to school and studied communication design. Now I live in the mountain town of Harrisonburg, Virginia where I work for an e-commerce company.

I've been getting tattooed since I was 19, I'm 31 now. Over the past 12 years my passion for tattoos (and tattooing in general) obviously just kept growing. It's the most important thing in the world to me. In January I was offered an apprenticeship working with someone I greatly respect (I say offered, but I had to put myself out there). So now, I'm working my day job and spending all my spare time at the shop, and drawing, and getting tattooed, and drawing. You get the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Stephanie, i'm 27 years old and i'm a single mom. I was born in Alaska, but raised in Utah while spending all of my summers either in Washington State or Montana visiting family. I went to school in Canada and now i'm working on moving to Chile. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 (it'll be 9 years on August 4th). I enjoy reading, writing, traveling, learning languages and new cultures. I'm the odd one out on both sides of my family and now including my sister in laws family due to being single, having tattoo's and a child out of wedlock so because of all of that when family get together's happen i'm either by myself or I stay home with my daughter, but I don't mind :D.

Hello!

My Name is Bethany, I'm 22. I've lived in Irving, Tx like my whole live. I'm a single mom of a beautiful little ginger names Alice. I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter and Bioshock!---I'm a Trekie.---LOVE horror and sci-fi. Freddy Kruger is the bomb! And love to read and love music. My favorite books include The Harry Potter series, 1984, Enders Game, The Uglies series, Animal Farm, The Count of Monte Cristo.

My favorite music varies from Rob Zombie (playing at Mayhem this sunday!! woot!) to the Beatles and The Band Perry.

I'm for some reason creepily interested in serial killers....and....Hitler....and the Occult and other wired dark things. Especially the plague....And other diseases and science. Like Eugenics. That shit's cool.

I am not racist....or want to or have an urge to kill people but i think that people that do are interesting.

I only have 2 tattoos right now. they're very simple. I'm wanting much much more but funds are tight and unlike other enthusiasts I'm not gonna live in my car so that i can have bad ass tattoos. Not that that's a problem. To each his own man! I want a phoenix on my back and an Alice in Wonderland sleeve type piece. Not really a sleeve but like across the shoulder to maybe top-mid top bicep. They will go with the 2 I already have. I want a Bioshock piece currently of the bunny mask with the Quote "I want to take the ears off!" Bc Sander Cohen is freaking boss! But when I'm done reading Rapture (the book that was written as a prequel to the video game) that might change my mind to something else.

ummm if you want you can add me on facebook.......I just get on there to look at picture i don't really post stuff. My profile picture is the Star Trek equal rights symbol. Bc I love the gays! And its a running joke between me and my friends that i was a gay man in a past life.

1000558_4308370167255_428355151_n.jpg

Hello!

My Name is Bethany, I'm 22. I've lived in Irving, Tx like my whole live. I'm a single mom of a beautiful little ginger names Alice. I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter and Bioshock!---I'm a Trekie.---LOVE horror and sci-fi. Freddy Kruger is the bomb! And love to read and love music. My favorite books include The Harry Potter series, 1984, Enders Game, The Uglies series, Animal Farm, The Count of Monte Cristo.

My favorite music varies from Rob Zombie (playing at Mayhem this sunday!! woot!) to the Beatles and The Band Perry.

I'm for some reason creepily interested in serial killers....and....Hitler....and the Occult and other wired dark things. Especially the plague....And other diseases and science. Like Eugenics. That shit's cool.

I am not racist....or want to or have an urge to kill people but i think that people that do are interesting.

I only have 2 tattoos right now. they're very simple. I'm wanting much much more but funds are tight and unlike other enthusiasts I'm not gonna live in my car so that i can have bad ass tattoos. Not that that's a problem. To each his own man! I want a phoenix on my back and an Alice in Wonderland sleeve type piece. Not really a sleeve but like across the shoulder to maybe top-mid top bicep. They will go with the 2 I already have. I want a Bioshock piece currently of the bunny mask with the Quote "I want to take the ears off!" Bc Sander Cohen is freaking boss! But when I'm done reading Rapture (the book that was written as a prequel to the video game) that might change my mind to something else.

ummm if you want you can add me on facebook.......I just get on there to look at picture i don't really post stuff. My profile picture is the Star Trek equal rights symbol. Bc I love the gays! And its a running joke between me and my friends that i was a gay man in a past life.

1000558_4308370167255_428355151_n.jpg

Oh lawd...marry me?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm Shawn.

I'm originally from Florida, I lived there until my early 20s when I moved to Philly in 1999 with a girl. Relationship didn't work out, but I fell in love with the city of Brotherly Love and have been there ever since.

I used to be totally self sufficient; from farming my own vegetables and hunting my own meat to canning or preserving the results. I could sew my own clothes, et all. 12 years in Philly and I've lost a lot of that. Luckily my Dad moved up here two years ago and already has me helping out with his garden and is re-honing my archery skills. My eventual goal is to move to North Carolina and not wear shoes unless I have to. (and that's not a joke)

I'm a foodie, a toy collector (biding my time before I start a Pushead thread on LST) and a nerdy blogger.

An update:

Im dating a really rad girl that I've had a crush on for three years. I told her that I always try to get the people I date to agree to move to North Carolina with me. She said "where in North Carolina?" instead of no.

"Asheville" I replied.

"Oh. You mean where my parents live? Where I plan to move in a few years?"

Little cartoon hearts erupted over my head.

An update:

Im dating a really rad girl that I've had a crush on for three years. I told her that I always try to get the people I date to agree to move to North Carolina with me. She said "where in North Carolina?" instead of no.

"Asheville" I replied.

Sweet. My dad used to live in Asheville. It's my favorite of all the places he has lived.

An update:

"Asheville" I replied.

Awesome, Asheville is nice.. Had a gf that moved there in HS, I liked going there.. My artist actually worked up there at some point I believe.. I live just south of Raleigh.. I like NC.

I'm Eddie or Ed or 'hey you' or 'hey asshole' whatever works for you works for me. ;)

Originally from Northern VA, been in NC most of my life. I love Motorsports(except NASCAR :puke: ) I love music of all types, the music is important but the lyrical aspect is what I dig.

I'm 33, been married since Sept of of 05' but the wife and I have been together since 98' and have a two year old daughter who likes to name the colors on my tattoos and point at the dragon and tiger and say RAWRRRRR! Trying to teach her acceptance of all types of ppl early on, we're all different right? I love guns and fairly open minded.

I also like to write.. Read books and audio books.. I'm just me, I don't care who you are as long as your cool, we're cool, ohhhh... Sometimes I ramble on and make little sense.. So I'm told.. ;)

I've always been interested in ppls screen names, mine is from the spoken word track one the first stone sour cd 'omega'

What a skeletal wreck of man this is,

Translucent flesh and feeble bones, the kind of temple where the whores and villains try to tempt the holistic tomes.

Running rampant with free thought to free form in the free and clear.

And the matters at hand are shelled out like lint at a laundry mat, to sift and focus on the bigger, better, now.

We all have a little sin that needs venting, virtues for the rending, and laws and systems and stems are ripped from the branches of office...Do you know what your post entails? Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?

Wind down inside your atavistic allure, the value of a summer spent, and a winter earned.

For the rest of us there is always Sunday. The day of the week that reeks of rest, but all we do is catch our breath so we can wade naked into the bloody pool and place our hand on the Big Black Book. To watch the knife zigzag between our aching fingers.

A vacation is a countdown. T-minus your life and counting. Time to drag your tongue across the sugar cube and hope you get a taste.

WHAT THE FUCK IS ALL THIS FOR?!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON?!(Background)

SHUT UP!

I could go on and on, but let's move on, shall we?

Say, you're me and I'm you and they all watch the things we do, and like a smack of spite they threw me down the stairs...haven't felt like this in years...The great magnet of malicious magnanimous refuse...let me go, and plunge me into the dead spot again.

That's where you go when there's no one else around. It's just you and there was never anyone to begin with, now was there?

Sanctimonious pretentious dastardly bastards with their thumb on the pulse and a finger on the trigger.

CLASSIFIED MY ASS! THAT'S A FUCKING SECRET AND YOU KNOW IT!

Government is another way to say Better. Than. You.

It's like ice but no pick, a murder charge that won't stick...It's like a whole other world, where you can smell the food, but you can't touch the silverware. Heh, what luck. Fascism you can vote for...(scoffs)isn't that sweet?

And we're all gonna die someday cause that's the American way, and I've drunk too much, and said too little. When you're gaffer taped in the middle say a prayer, save face, get yourself together and :

*See what's happening* (Singsong in background.)

SHUT UP!

FUCK YOU! (Background)

FUCK YOU!

I'm sorry, I could go on and on but it's time to move on, so...

Remember, you're a wreck, an accident.

Forget the Freak, you're just nature.

Keep the gun oiled and the temple clean.

Shit, snort, and blaspheme. Let the heads cool and the engine run.

Because in the end, everything we do...is just everything we've done.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would get in on this... @ChrisvK, that's awesome, I could really relate to your story.

I'm 22. I too am a metalhead (I guess if you want to call it that, I kind of cringe at the term). I've always suspected I'm somewhere on the autism spectrum, very awkward and shy and find it tough to interpret social cues and all that. I was fortunate enough not to get picked on at least, just ignored by everyone in my school. It wasn't unusual for me to go days at a time without speaking to anyone. I went to Penn State for a year to major in English (always my best subject) and decided I hated the environment and the major. I dropped out and went on to get a degree in human services (basically, social work). Honestly, I've never found a profession that I feel like I could commit to for life, and will probably change professions in a couple years. People think it's weird that I'm so antisocial and yet am a social worker, but I can fake being social for 8 hours a day...then I need to go home and spend time by myself to recharge. My dream job would be just working part time at a music store or tattoo shop or being a stay at home wife, haha.

I've been interested in tattoos and piercings since I was about 13. All the bands I listened to were heavily modded in one way or another, and that was my first exposure to it. I got my first tattoo soon after turning 18 (the Minor Threat sheep), and just recently finished my second, with an appointment for the 3rd later this month. I finally have the time and money to pursue these things and am feeling confident enough to do them, so that's a cool feeling.

Ooh! Me too!

My Name's Jon. I was born in Berkeley, California and lived between there and Concord until I was 8, when my mother and I moved to Fort Bragg, California. Not even Fort Bragg, we moved to the woods outside.

Either way, FB is where I learned about tattooing. A friend of mine got a job as the shop guy at Triangle Tattoo, which also houses a fantastic museum covering the history of tattooing. I was lucky enough to be exposed to this first - as well as Captain Don Leslie, who frequently visited - instead of the shop a few blocks away that was constantly cycling through methamphetamine enthusiast owners/tattooers.

I moved back to San Francisco the very day that I turned 18 (I took my CHSPE and got an early diploma) and bounced between SF and Oakland for the next 7 years, when my then fiancee and I moved up to Seattle.

As for my current involvement with tattooing, I am learning and should be working soon. I'd divulge more details, but I'd really rather not jinx anything. You understand.

For now I work printing flight manuals for Boeing and support my wife Ash (the aforementioned "then fiancee") and our two "mentally unique" cats.

Please support our fun habits by visiting me at Spooky Sproul and maybe buying some art if you like some of it. :)

Honestly, I've never found a profession that I feel like I could commit to for life, and will probably change professions in a couple years. People think it's weird that I'm so antisocial and yet am a social worker, but I can fake being social for 8 hours a day...then I need to go home and spend time by myself to recharge. My dream job would be just working part time at a music store or tattoo shop or being a stay at home wife, haha.

Wow you just described me and everything I've been going through lately with hating my job and career goals lol My fiance asked me what my dream job would be if I could do anything and I said being a mom or working in a tattoo shop (not a tattooer though).

I'm also a weirdo and applying to different master's programs (social work, education, and counseling). Life is more fun with variety!

Wow you just described me and everything I've been going through lately with hating my job and career goals lol My fiance asked me what my dream job would be if I could do anything and I said being a mom or working in a tattoo shop (not a tattooer though).

I'm not even sure I want to pursue a bachelor's degree, I can't decide if I even want to have a career or if I'll switch after a couple years or what. If only being a shop girl paid as much as I make now. :D