London Convention will we get thrown out

Bubbleberry

So I have never been to the London convention, but know, that as far as artists are concerned, it is invitation only, so I am wondering how it is set up?

My wife wants to go for the full three days and just watch as many artists as possible, for as long as possible.

Is this going to piss people off, how long is to long to be watching someone tattoo?

If she politely asks if they mind her watching will she get told to jump, how should she approach this?

Invitation only in most cases means you have to be invited to have a booth to preform tattoos or sell artworks. Any member of the public is free to purchase a weekend pass and stay for as little or as long as they please.

Have you guys been to a convention before? It's not always very easy to watch people tattooing at conventions. They are usually in the back part of the booth behind their portfolio table. It's hard to get close enough to really watch without being in the way (ie:blocking the front of the booth from potential paying customers, or just taking up room in the generally small booths). This doesn't mean you can't learn at a convention and I do hope you both attend. The best thing to do would be watch from a respectful distance for short periods of time. If someone asks if you are an apprentice be honest about it. Don't stand there for an hour with your jaw on the ground like a jackass, basically. If someone seems even in the slightest way like they might be annoyed by your presence just walk away and don't say anything. Don't ask them questions about either, most probably won't like that. Just watch, quietly, politely, and from a spot that gives them all the room they need. If you are going because you want to meet people and network, save it for the parties that usually happen after the convention, people are a lot more open when they've had a couple drinks and arn't focusing on making tattoos/money.

There are a few people she wants tattoos from, but her mentor also stated that he wanted to be the next to tattoo her. She just cannot decide what she wants, although she is getting closer.I think she hopes that the convention will help her decide.

I have not been to a real convention for years, the last one was in New Zealand, and it was hosted by a biker gang, so while they were awarding prizes for tattoos I do not remember seeing anyone being tattooed, apart from a dog, if that counts ? I have photos of that somewhere if anyone cares?

Really this London show is a bit of a rebirth for me, having been out of the tattoo scene for so long, so its exciting, and yes, the general idea was just to lurk in the shadows watching what we can without annoying anyone.

I think my wife fancied being tattooed by Valerie Vargas, but I am sure she is booked up this close to the show?

I think my wife fancied being tattooed by Valerie Vargas, but I am sure she is booked up this close to the show?

Never hurts to ask dude, she's on this board. I know a lot of tattooers only take walk-ups for conventions, so plan to be there early. I can't really speak for your wife being constricted to only getting tattooed by her mentor, though..

Yeah, Richie Clarke is AMAZING, I love his work, and I would love to be tattooed by him. VV did what has to be my favourite tattoo of all time, as seen below. I just love the image, its so romantic, yet bold and colourful. Is there a name for the guy in the tattoo...something dandy comes to mind?

Hi Abrahams, welcome to the site! :)

I totally second the idea of actually getting tattooed there if she wants to really watch someone work. Valerie had something up on her site about how to book in for the convention, she may still have space. She's on here too, as you probably already know, but I'd check out the site first for the proper info she put up about it.

Sometimes artists are cool with letting you watch them work, but only if you know them first. I got to see Gary Weidenhof do a really great skull at Peterlee this year because he let me sit there with my jaw on the floor, haha. I'd been spending most of the day with the Inkredible Kreations guys and gals though- if you know people who'll be working there, then they're more likely to let you see what they're doing.

Invitation only in most cases means you have to be invited to have a booth to preform tattoos or sell artworks. Any member of the public is free to purchase a weekend pass and stay for as little or as long as they please.

The London show isn't invite-only anymore I don't think. It used to be, but for the last couple of years I think shops/tattooers who worked it before get first dibs on a booth.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If people we don't know and aren't getting tattooed come inside our booth, we ask them to step out. Space is pretty tight as it is. Conventions are full of Jackasses (and tourists these days). It doesn't mean we are cool with having your camera flash in our face, but it's not like we can do anything about it. At the shop is a totally different matter. And yes, we can hear what you are saying about us from outside the booth ;)

Some tattooers work so that you can see what they are doing, others work so that there aren't idiots leaning over their shoulder.

It's the same as anything really, manners go a hell of a long way. Try not to get ass hurt when someone says 'no thanks'.

As a side note, I've noticed a new attitude in conventions over the last few years. People visit them as a kind of 'live' reality TV. Like we are there for their entertainment. They don't want to get tattooed or take part in any way. They are literally tourists snapping photos of everything. They often bring their young kids. They usually ask "Does it hurt?".

Yeah, Richie Clarke is AMAZING, I love his work, and I would love to be tattooed by him. VV did what has to be my favourite tattoo of all time, as seen below. I just love the image, its so romantic, yet bold and colourful. Is there a name for the guy in the tattoo...something dandy comes to mind?

Wow that is some tattoo. Yeah I would jump at the chance to get tattooed by her as well. You never know with a little effort it could happen. As far as your wifes mentor I don't see how he could be mad if she walked through the door with a tattoo of this caliber.

I'm not a tattooer but I can't really see much learning potential from just watching tattooing at a very busy and crowded tattoo convention. I would have thought the best way to go, would have been for your wife to attend at least one of the seminars, if thats possible.

If I'm not mistaken Chris Conn is holding a seminar there, this year.

Your missus is too late, I'm afraid. Valerie had a page up on her blog for about 10 days where you could submit an idea for a "one shot" tattoo to be done at London, and she'd pick who to tattoo from the ideas submitted. That closed last week, and according to the update on her blog, the people with the chosen ideas have already been notified.

I don't suppose it would do any harm to try getting in touch or whatever, but it's likely to be a no-go based on that.

I'm not a tattooer but I can't really see much learning potential from just watching tattooing at a very busy and crowded tattoo convention. I would have thought the best way to go, would have been for your wife to attend at least one of the seminars, if thats possible.

If I'm not mistaken Chris Conn is holding a seminar there, this year.

Great Idea !