new tattoo (possible regret)

nooneknows

Screenshot_20211106-190111_Instagram.thumb.jpg.fba4c4a76845d88f16b840b1c1f2c2b8.jpgScreenshot_20211106-190154_Instagram.thumb.jpg.d02766f7dc0db160727f93f1f2e361c8.jpgScreenshot_20211106-190206_Instagram.thumb.jpg.da98337b5b34b48560c23ad80a3f370c.jpg2104266302_image000000(5).thumb.jpg.1a40f0cd3c9cc1f4ae7db5c32a569925.jpg1286276264_image000001(3).thumb.jpg.ed16961161d18d62004c7aee7871af83.jpgSo this is not my first tattoo. I have quite a few that were all done by the same artist but she moved away a few years ago. I haven't been tattooed in almost two years and decided to get a new piece which was done by someone who has not been tattooing very long. I immediately felt disappointed by the tattoo and I've been very upset since yesterday even though everyone says it looks good. I would like some outside opinions and maybe some advice if there are ways to make it look better. I've never felt so bad after a tattoo. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20211106-190111_Instagram.jpg

First, I wouldn't do anything until you've had it for several months. I've seen a lot of tattoos made MUCH worse because people were in a hurry to "fix" them. Second, why would you get a tattoo from someone without much experience? It's usually a recipe for dissatisfaction.

Having said that, I like it and think it looks good. Lots of people have tattoo regret. The vast majority get over it. Wear that tattoo proudly.

Can't give you an expert opinion (@Hogrider already did it anyway, so you can be good from that point of view), but I can tell you that my humble and absolutely inexperienced tattoo-looking eyes really like what they see: it's a very nice and someway sweet tattoo. Would you share - here or in private messages, whichever you prefer - the meaning and the story behind it (if any) with me?

On 11/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, warrug25 said:

Can't give you an expert opinion (@Hogrider already did it anyway, so you can be good from that point of view), but I can tell you that my humble and absolutely inexperienced tattoo-looking eyes really like what they see: it's a very nice and someway sweet tattoo. Would you share - here or in private messages, whichever you prefer - the meaning and the story behind it (if any) with me?

Looks like it's meant to be a koi fish ying and yang.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:45 AM, Hogrider said:

First, I wouldn't do anything until you've had it for several months. I've seen a lot of tattoos made MUCH worse because people were in a hurry to "fix" them. Second, why would you get a tattoo from someone without much experience? It's usually a recipe for dissatisfaction.

Having said that, I like it and think it looks good. Lots of people have tattoo regret. The vast majority get over it. Wear that tattoo proudly.

I really appreciate the advice. Obviously, it was a huge mistake on my part to go to someone so inexperienced. I absolutely should have known better and I'm very upset with myself about that. I ended up speaking to the artist about my problems with the piece and went in today to talk to a way more experienced artist at the shop about touching up the tattoo once it is fully healed. Thank you for being so kind with your response it really means a lot. I'm hopeful that it can be touched up to look cleaner and more like what I expected. I'm sure I will learn to love it over time no matter what happens.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, warrug25 said:

I really appreciate that, thank you so much. It's a tattoo inspired by the show Avatar: The Last Airbender. The two koi fish are Tui and La which are physical forms of the moon and ocean spirits. They are the same concept as yin and yang like the other user said. I've always loved the concept of yin and yang and the balance and harmony that the symbol represents. This tattoo was a combination of that and my love for the show. Thanks for asking and being so kind.