Browsing around the board just now, I was struck by how often folks asking questions about tattoos they want to get or tattoos they have gotten end up getting similar responses, as their issues often correspond to a fairly narrow set that come up again and again. I thought it could be cool to have a thread where we list our generally accepted "tattoo advice" and wisdom in one centralized location. We could point people to it when appropriate.
1. Thou shalt never haggle in a tattoo shop.
2. Thou shalt not try to force a tattooer to tattoo an exact replica of an image you've brought in. If you are going to a skilled tattooer, you will always be better off letting them turn your idea into an actual tattoo design that will work for this medium.
3. Thou shalt consult with your tattooer for questions re: design, sizing, placement, ideas, aftercare instructions and any touch-ups.
4. Thou shalt not stress about how your new tattoo looks until it is fully healed.
5. Thou shalt accept that flaking, scabbing, swelling, itching, and a whole bunch of other uncomfortable stuff is all totally normal when healing a tattoo. Thou shalt only be concerned if it doesn't get better after weeks, or if it smells or looks infected.
Not a removal or cover up but I thought I would post a picture of a 25 year old tattoo on my wife that was refreshed by Emiliano Liberatori of Frith Street.
The original was nothing special but this has really transformed it. Shame I didn't have a before picture.
We found LST and now get good tattoos but what before? We must of got some bad tattoos on the way....
Here we can post our bad tattoos and the story behind them
I'll start with one of mine, done when I was 16 some 22 years ago, even when new people asked what it was, it's a bat moon and 3 stars by the way...!