"Tattoo Rescue"

As a tattooed person and a business person I can say that in quite a few shops I have frequented over the years, the shop owners as well as the other artists do not care for the business end of things. And more than a few shops who have killer artists have gone out of business due to their lack of business acumen.

Would it be wrong to become the "money man" behind some of these artists, put "the hard effort" toward the artist and provide them with the best of the best in a building, an atmosphere, equipment, schedulers, and accounting? I think this would take a lot of pressure off some folks who live to tattoo and hate to be in the business of tattooing.

Just rattling this off. I don't have the kind of money it would take to undergo such a venture, even though it would be a dream come true.

I completely agree! I'm sure all of us have met or worked with some pretty kickass shop helpers/managers, and they do a lot of work! I see that work as a contribution to tattooing, though. I don't think that there is no place in the tattoo shop for people who don't tattoo, I just don't think it's really right for someone who doesn't tattoo to own a shop.

Although at the end of the day, there is no absolute way to do anything. Life is variable, but I feel that these generalizations are mostly applicable.

I completely agree! I'm sure all of us have met or worked with some pretty kickass shop helpers/managers' date=' and they do a lot of work! I see that work as a contribution to tattooing, though. I don't think that there is no place in the tattoo shop for people who don't tattoo, I just don't think it's really right for someone who doesn't tattoo to own a shop.

Although at the end of the day, there is no absolute way to do anything. Life is variable, but I feel that these generalizations are mostly applicable.[/quote']

What you're saying is great in theory/idea.. I believe whole heartedly that what you're saying is the reason why the reality tv shows about tattooing are awful and fly by night, unfortunately that's not how business succeed.. Now that's generally how small business starts, but more often then not its like the post above stated, just because ppl are good at what they do(tattooing, building houses, working on cars) doesn't mean they can 'run a successful business.

It's clear ppl believe tattooing is 'different' then other professions but ppl who build custom cars, custom bikes, custom houses all think the same thing. No business is going to be successful for long without someone with business sense. The two tattoo shops I spoke of earlier are examples.. My mother is residential paint contractor(mostly high end custom homes) but she hasn't painted anything herself in nearly two decades. I'm sure the two crews of guys that make the houses look the way they do feel just like you do if you see what I'm driving at?

@deadsp0t I think I'm not articulating my point well enough. I think that tattooing is exactly the same as any other trade or craft. I think that it's messed up for anyone to try to side-step hard work for the sake of a fast profit. I also think that a veteran craftsman is going to have the greatest wealth of knowledge on how to run a business in their craft, much like your mother. Even though she has not painted in over 20 years, she has invested a significant portion of her life into her work, and I can only assume that she approaches her job with authenticity and care.