Tatoo History Books and Shops

asradin

While Marisa's books are cool, they are coffee table books, with short interviews regarding a current tattoo scene.

If you're looking for historical or traditional stuff they may not be what you are looking for. Large book sellers may have them so you can look through them.

The London tattoo convention is in a month or so. There's sure to be a shit load of book sellers there. Unlike Waterstones or large book sellers, most of the vendors won't take too kindly to leisurely browsing customers but you can check out a whole load of books.

Although I think finding a copy of an explorer's diary from 1764 might be a bit of a task but it should make for interesting reading :)

Keep your eyes peeled. Some books that I thought I'd never see have mysteriously found their way into my hands. Maybe it takes 10 years, maybe longer, but some really cool stuff comes your way if you stay sharp and interested. It's a matter of putting yourself in harm's way, patience, keeping money available and trying not to let opportunities pass you by. This is a side of tattooing/tattoo culture I'd never paid mind to until I realised my reference and history was very limited. I know it's different when it's a hobby instead of a profession but it can be expensive at times but very rewarding.

Something that gets very cool with any kind of historical research is the similarities of patterns, themes and motivations regardless of geographical distance.

Thanks Stewart. I'm doing just that, keeping money aside just incase. Also I have the advantage that because I'm at the University in Manchester I have access to the library which has a huge "special collection" which includes originals and copies of pieces of text dating back to I don't know when. I'm just trawling through the library catalogue at the moment to see if there is anything useful or interesting.