Little advice needed

cameroncrazie80

So I have an appointment to start what will be my second tattoo on April 5th. I went to the shop to meet the artist and discuss my idea. First I was met by what I guess is their front desk clerk. He asked about the tattoo and I explained it to him, and he went and talked to the artist for a minute came back, I put down my deposit and then said the artist wanted to meet with me.

So I meet with the artist, and we lock down the image that I'm getting, but what I explained to the front desk person that I guess I am assuming he passed along to the artist is that I wanted more than just an image, as I wanted some background stuff behind the image, in what I guess would be like 1/4 sleeve? but just on the outside of my arm that's visible, so from tricep around to bicep. I never really talked about this with the artist. Should I assume that the front desk guy relayed the info and just show up to my appointment, or should I maybe call the shop and talk to the artist to make sure that we're on the same page before my appointment?

I'd go to the shop again to talk to him in person, but it's an hour or so drive.

When it comes to a tattoo, never assume that an artist knows exactly what you want unless you've clearly articulated it directly to that person. One thing that is absolutely paramount in the process of getting a tattoo is communication between you and your artist, not you, your artist and a go-between 3rd party.

I told him I wanted kind of an armcap down to about middle bicep, maybe a little lower. I just don't wanna show up to the appointment and have to have him to another design adding in the background stuff. I don't really have an idea for the background stuff so I am leaving it up to the artist for whatever he wants to do/thinks will work the best.

I'll probably call the shop next week just to make sure we're on the same page. I think it would make me feel better about it too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...