My First Tat?

hishighness420

Hey all. I've never had a tat before so hopefully these questions aren't too dumb. lol.

I'm planning a trip to Vegas that I've wanted for a long time now, and I'm considering getting a tattoo while I'm there in honor of my trip.

My pain tolerance is pretty low, so my first question is how much will it hurt? I know pain is subjective and all, but ballpark figure on a 1-10 scale. I know location on the body matters, so I'm looking to get it on the inside of my left forearm, also how long can I reasonably expect the discomfort to last? Will it be a problem flying home with the tattoo on my arm?

A friend who has a bunch of tattoos told me there are things you can do to prepare that can help make the pain a little less, such as hydrating. Could anyone steer me in the direction of a good article or checklist of those types of things?

I haven't finalized what exactly I want yet, but I know I'd like to have some variation of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign I'm Caucasian with British heritage so while I'm not an albino but I'm pretty light skinned. One of my concerns is I'm guessing white ink isn't a great combo with my skin tone, and the Welcome to LV sign in its default look has a white background on the inside. I'm just wondering how an artist would handle that?

Finally as I said above I'd like to get some variation of the Las Vegas sign. I'm guessing for a skilled artist that wouldn't be too difficult considering it's not like an intricate dragon or sleeve with a bunch of different colors. So how would I handle submitting the design I want to the artist once I choose it? Just bring a paper copy of it with me? Email them ahead of time? Like as artists how would it be the best for them?

Thank you very kindly for your time!

Welcome To Fabulous Las Vegas Sign | Las Vegas, NV

2 hours ago, hishighness420 said:

Why? Are tattoos only limited to people who were born with high pain tolerance? Sorry, I thought this was a place to get help, not get gatekept by some macho jackass.

Can anyone offer an actual answer or am I stuck with this meathead?

no, I said that  because it's going to hurt,you're the one whining about your pain tolerance. 

"macho jackass" and "meathead" ? F*** you,

Edited by Dan

Everyones painscale is different. For me- a 10 is childbirth . 

None of my tattoos have felt like I was pushing a 10lb 7 oz baby out of my vagina again, but some people do state that some tattoos are a 10. Everyone will have a different idea of pain based on their lived experiences. ( compare someone who has only stubbed a toe vs someone who has broken a bone for example )

If you want easy peasy pain- go arms. outside of arm is a piece of piss. Inner forearms more sensitive than outer, but still nothing hard to deal with (very low pain scale for me, more of an annoyance than pain). 

Eat a decent meal the day of and the night before, be well rested, well hydrated, don't be loaded on drugs or hung over from a night on the sauce and you will be fine. 

As far as the design goes, they may just use skin breaks instead of actually using white ink. 

As far as communicating with the artist- research who is out there and see what they prefer. Some prefer email, some in person, some say fill out an online booking request. 

Do the research and you'll get the answers you're after.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:31 AM, hishighness420 said:

I guess the animals quote you have doesn't apply to human animals.

Right back at you sweetie. *blows kiss* 💋

Mumma, thank you for your answer!

Being an ass hole to the people who have been on this forum a long time is not a smart way to get advice. Frankly @Dan is right; if you’re worried about the pain, don’t get one. There’s no way to quantify the pain. I have other helpful hints for first timers.