New member gathering information for my big tattoo project!

mblx

Hey everyone, I decided to register here because I want to gain knowledge about tattoos in general so I can better prepare myself for my big tattoo project. I have a very specific style in mind for my tattoos, I have been told that it is a very unique style and that it may be unreasonable to ask another artist to replicate it. I thought it was interesting to hear and made me want to get them even more! :p If anyone is curious about the tattoos I'm talking about, I'll post some pictures in this thread. Thank you!

Actually after reading my original post again, I made it sound like they're something extraordinary. In reality I've even been told once on another forum that they look horrible. I love them though. Anyways, here's three pictures:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5kwtfct8z1ryzcneo1_500.jpg

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I have looked at a lot of portfolios of black and gray but I can't seem to find artists who do tattoos like these. How do you think should I go about finding the best possible artist for this type of work? I also want to see more of that style so I can get some inspiration and come up with my own concepts.

Guess a lot would depend on where you are and where you want to go for these. I don't see anything any competent artist couldn't do, and the style is something most real tattooists could get into and work up original designs for. Throw out your city, or where you'd like to have them done, and I'm sure someone can help you out.

Welcome to LST. Looks like you've already received some great responses. Keep us posted and let us know where you're located.

Yes! I am impressed by the good responses I've received already from my introduction thread, I totally expected to have nobody look at it haha. Like I said earlier I have asked the same question in other tattoo forums and 75% of the comments were about how dumb they look because there's no shading, so obviously I wasn't impressed :p. I am actually in Montreal right now but I am willing to travel to get the best results possible. This is a long term project, I am not ready to get anything done yet and I have a lot of planning to do. I'm thinking in 2 or 3 years is when I'll be ready to start.

Maybe you could watch the Markus Kuhn series to help you get inspired to find your inspiration.

I was actually planning on watching all of these interview videos! So far I've watched the one with Stewart Robson, I thought it was cool to see him reply to my thread right after I watched it. :p

@mblx If you're in the States, go see Thomas Hooper at Saved Tattoo in Brooklyn.

If you're in the UK, Duncan X at IntoYou, London.

I think someone at Blut & Eisen in Berlin, Germany does stuff a little like that too.

Look outside tattoos or tattooing for reference images.

Good luck.

I really liked Thomas Hooper's portfolio, he seems like he would be perfect for some parts of the tattoos I want. Brooklyn is really not that far away from Montreal so I will definitaly bookmark his portfolio. As for reference images, right now I am making a list of ideas of the things I want to get tattooed in that style. So it's just a list of things, like I know I want the main chest piece to be an owl surrounded by small stars that would cover my entire upper body to represent a night sky. I will go into more specific details and post pictures of reference images I was planning on showing the artist when I get back from work in a couple hours, then you guys can tell me what you think!

Maybe you could watch the Markus Kuhn series to help you get inspired to find your inspiration.

Okay I actually watched the 4 episodes and I thought it was amazing...I went to sleep 3 hours later than I should have :p. Thanks a lot for the recomandation