Billy Corgan interview, new Pumpkins album

gougetheeyes

Got the new Smashing Pumpkins record, stoked on a few tracks, still getting into it overall though. Anyone into them? Anyone buy it? Anyone still obsessed with them?! They've also put out crazy re-issues with extra tracks and DVDs, see: money pit. I still love this band.

There's also a great interview Howard Stern did with Billy Corgan. It's over an hour long, I listened to it two consecutive mornings opening the bar, really interesting no matter what you think of the dude -- and he plays an acoustic version of Tonight, Tonight.

http://vimeo.com/44532986"

Good listen!

post-147-146168844459_thumb.jpg

As a pretty crazy fan of 18+ years I can safely say that I did not expect Oceania to knock me on my ass like it has. I like most everything Corgan has put out...but found that I needed to increase the grains of salt that I take his stuff with over the years. But man, Oceania is a damn good, mature rock record. Just picked up the deluxe vinyl and it is a completely different listening experience.

Anytime people talk about him in a public forum they say "...whatever you may think about him..." or "...despite what you may think of the guy..." - but Corgan is a lifer. He doesn't compromise.

Honestly, I've never actually heard/seen a Howard Stern interview - I know the name because he's apparently quite popular - but I think I really like his style. This is one of the more interesting interviews I've seen of late.

I've been a fan for a pretty long time (as long as can be expected of a person my age), since Disarm was the first song I ever learned on guitar when I was 12. I haven't listened to the new album many times, but the few play-throughs I've done I've enjoyed. As for Corgan, I've never really had a negative opinion of the dude. People are critical, and I guess he's done some weird and/or "rockstar" shit, but it's never been that big a deal in my eyes.

thanks for sharing. pumpkins are by far not my favorite group. but i think "siamese dream" may be the perfect album. theyve also made some of my favorite songs. i need to give "oceania" another try. also, if you can find it downloadable, their unplugged album (think it was unreleased for mtv?) is pretty fucking amazing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

the acoustic version of "tonight, tonight" is on their unplugged album! that shits so good.

thanks for sharing. pumpkins are by far not my favorite group. but i think "siamese dream" may be the perfect album. theyve also made some of my favorite songs. i need to give "oceania" another try. also, if you can find it downloadable, their unplugged album (think it was unreleased for mtv?) is pretty fucking amazing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

the acoustic version of "tonight, tonight" is on their unplugged album! that shits so good.

Didn't know they did an unplugged for MTV..?

Didn't know they did an unplugged for MTV..?

If my memory serves me correctly - it got shelved. There were rumors around Siamese and MCIS that there was going to be an Unplugged episode. I have a boot somewhere of acoustic performances in the Siamese era that were supposedly of them gearing up for it. It rules. That's where their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Dancing in the Moonlight" is from (which is a great cover).

^^yeah, its that one. amazing thin lizzy cover as well. theres some real gems that (i think) are only on there. like "bye june". wasnt sure what the backstory was with this album, but it is from 1994..

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-Unplugged-100-Pure-Acoustic-Performances/release/2263438 there is also another version that closes it out with "1979" and "tonight, tonight".

- - - Updated - - -

more corgan acoustic..