Tattoo Myths and Misconceptions

Lochlan

Well, technically this isn't really a myth. If you share needles you could get hepatitis or HIV (both STDs... even though you're not contracting them via sex).

Ah, I see- it's an issue of semantics. Technically I would only call it an STD if it was transmitted that way- but I totally see what you mean- if you look at any STD chart, hepatitis and HIV are definitely included. Though if I contracted hepatitis through a needle stick injury at my job, I would balk at someone saying I had an STD!

• 3 months later...

Kind of an old thread, but I have a question that fits here. I have heard that tattoos will "disperse" if they are not surrounded by black ink. Is that a myth? If not, what about the watercolor tattoos that are only color with some black lines? I'm very attracted to that type and actually have some areas that don't have black around them, so should I go back and get black lines around the colors?

Um, I'm not really into black/grey or tribal, but thanks as I can see the movement in it. I think that the business of black ink holding in the color is probably a myth according to what I'm reading here - however, while it doesn't hold in the color, it is still the bones of a tattoo once the color fades. Saying that, I just uploaded my 38 year old dragon. The colors are still really good - sorry about the poor picture - not easy to get one of one's own thigh!