Another Meanings Thread .... Crossed Hatchets?

rileykill

not to go off topic too much but graeme, didn't canada have some nice bands in the 90s? chokehold were canadian right? and acrid?

Yep, they were both from Ontario. I grew up out west and things were way more regional in those days so the big local band was Strain and we were generally more connected to the West Coast thing with bands like Undertow, Unbroken, and a bit later Botch, and Trial and stuff like that. There was lots of Vancouver to Seattle driving for shows.

Kittens, Ken Mode, Cursed, shallow north dakota are some cool canadian bands....then you got a bunch of cool metal bands too.

I think you are literally the second person I have ever heard talk about Shallow North Dakota. A friend of mine was way into them, maybe he still is, but I don't know anybody else who ever listened to them.

I think you are literally the second person I have ever heard talk about Shallow North Dakota. A friend of mine was way into them, maybe he still is, but I don't know anybody else who ever listened to them.

Cool band...I need to dig out my cd because its been a while. I figured they would get more recognition because of Cursed.

i was totally into left for dead, not sure they're canadaian but i had this cool sawblade shaped split 10" with them and acrid. brutal stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

used the new thing called google and yeah, they're canadian...

Haha yeah I have that record too, such a badass record. Chris Colohan from Left For Dead later sang for Cursed.

I think the best Canadian hardcore from that era came from Quebec. Union of Uranus, One Eyed God Prophecy, Drift, Ire...I still listen to that stuff.

union of uranus! split 12" with his hero is gone. best metal-hardcore record, ever.

!!!! need to listen to that one now!

Oh man, His Hero Is Gone was my favorite ever. Saw them in '98 when they were touring on Fifteen Counts of Arson (that album scared the shit out of me then and it scares the shit out of me now) and they killed it so hard. Yannick was really sick and wasn't playing guitar with them so they played for only something like twelve minutes but they were absolutely CRUSHING. I've never seen a drummer play like that. He was doing double kick style drumming with only one kick pedal, and he hit fucking hard too. When they broke up I decided that I didn't care about hardcore anymore and never bought a hardcore record again.

I used to really want to get that skeletal bird on the cover of the HHIG Fool's Gold 7" as a tattoo, glad I never did though.

hahaha i wanted that one too! a friend has it as a trampstamp....

yeah hhig were soooo amazingly good it's ridicilous! pauls drumming is cruuushing yes. and yeah hardcore pretty much got boring the next years after that...nothing really good since 98! haha!

damnit, now i need to dig out the fools gold 7" aswell...

update: have listened to left for dead/acrid split, uranus/hhig split and fools gold 7" now.

still better than ICP, thats for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

update 2, started going through my old records and found my favourite split 7" ever: acrid/bombs of death it's soo good! ahh memories...