Input on planned design and artist's work?

Suiren

I have been planning to get a tattoo on my nape for over two years.

I have a few questions and ideas regarding the design and would be thankful for some input. (I would like my tattoo to look similar to the girls nape tattoo on the top right):

1. How small is too small?

I don't want it to overwhelm my (thin) neck. How small can I go with this design? The smallest I would want is what the girl in the picture has.

2. I know I want it pretty much all black. But if I were to go with some subtle shading, maybe by the stem or around the crown, how would you do it? Here are a few things I have seen:

- White added on one side

- The tree bark a little textured or shaded in grey

3. I might want the roots to disappear into the ground rather than just hanging out.

4. I have not fully decided on a tree yet, I was thinking top left, but if you know any other dead tree designs that are similar I'd take a look at them too. I want to be sure I am getting the right tree. I like my trees simple, without leafs, not too thin and not too thick. I also don't want to put a tree that looks completely dead, more something like a tree in winter, sleeping so to say :)

5. I am not sure how high up I want the tree. My neck is pretty long, so in order to have it as close to the hair as in the picture I would have to go pretty high. I am thinking if it is too low it will be partly hidden a lot and I am not sure I want that but ultimately I would want to place it in a way that best harmonizes with my neck and proportions.

6. Anything I have to watch out for when picking a design? I have been making sure the tree does not have too much detail and I would not want the branches to be too thin or very close together. Anything else?

I also uploaded some work by the artist (Zon) I am currently considering for this. The shop he works for has great ratings and the staff and artists are very friendly and open. So if you think the artist could do this tree well for me I'd be very happy.

If not, I will have to keep looking, but obstacles I face are a very long wait time of 1-2 years with the most well known artists here among other things, like some artists not wanting to do a small simple tree and preferring clients with bigger designs. I was hoping to get a few things done before next pregnancy! (which most likely won't be the last either)

Thanks!

Suiren

Most if this seem like questions for your artist, they should be able to advise you on size and design that will work and will stand through time.

Yeah I understand that and I will talk to the artist too next thursday, but I just thought any additional input would help too. Not every artist gives the best advice and I won't be able to tell good from bad. But if I can compare it to advice I got here I will be on the safe side.

Not every artist gives the best advice and I won't be able to tell good from bad

If that's the case you're getting tattooed at the wrong places. Why would you get a tattoo from someone whom you can't trust for input and guidance? If you tell us where you're located we can maybe recommend some good shops in you area instead.

If that's the case you're getting tattooed at the wrong places. Why would you get a tattoo from someone whom you can't trust for input and guidance? If you tell us where you're located we can maybe recommend some good shops in you area instead.

I don't mean to say I feel like the artist can't be trusted, but really from a talk and reviews online I can only tell so much, and there may still be things that you can't see at first glance. Especially me as a newbie, he could tell me things that may not be the best advice and I would not be able to tell and think it sounds great. That is exactly how my first tattoo went wrong.

So I ask you knowledgeable peers to enlighten me first, that way I might be able to tell good from bad when having a consultation with him.

I am located by Frankfurt, Hesse. I am currently looking at Dave's tattoo there.

I have pictures of the artists work attached to the first post. It would be nice if someone could tell me if his work is good.

I think for a silhouette tattoo that artist looks like they do decent enough work. The lines look pretty good and the shading is smooth. I'm not crazy about the tattoos in terms of design though...I would steer away from this tattooer's Japanese tattoos, and the black and grey tattoos lack depth. That gun looks like a paper cut out instead of a three dimensional object. But for a silhouette of a tree I think you're fine.

For size, you're almost always better off going bigger. Lines are going to thicken over time and the design will close up so the more room you can give it the better it will age. I would think this will be especially the case on the nape of your neck because it's going to get a lot of exposure to sunlight and is going to age quicker than tattoos on parts of your body that are normally covered by clothing.

That said, and take this however you will, I don't like silhouette tattoos and I can't think of any silhouette tattoos that wouldn't look better if it was properly rendered. Compare the trees you posted above to this Paul Booth tattoo:

3323588342_3040f4b603_o.jpg

Choose your tattooer carefully or this could happen.

Warm-Bodies-R_zpse46b73f0.jpg

Looks like something from twilight lol.

The shop is clean though if that what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I think for a silhouette tattoo that artist looks like they do decent enough work. The lines look pretty good and the shading is smooth. I'm not crazy about the tattoos in terms of design though...I would steer away from this tattooer's Japanese tattoos, and the black and grey tattoos lack depth. That gun looks like a paper cut out instead of a three dimensional object. But for a silhouette of a tree I think you're fine.

Hm, I had a feeling the tattoos might be a bit pale but wasn't sure.

For size, you're almost always better off going bigger. Lines are going to thicken over time and the design will close up so the more room you can give it the better it will age. I would think this will be especially the case on the nape of your neck because it's going to get a lot of exposure to sunlight and is going to age quicker than tattoos on parts of your body that are normally covered by clothing.

Luckily with long hair it is covered a lot of the time. I read Sun Screen can also help protect the tattoo on hot days?

I will try not to get it done too small then and like I mentioned before, also make sure the tree branches have room.

That said, and take this however you will, I don't like silhouette tattoos and I can't think of any silhouette tattoos that wouldn't look better if it was properly rendered. Compare the trees you posted above to this Paul Booth tattoo:

33235883423040f4b603_o.jpg

Yes, I understand the tree I picked is completely different and I know silhouette tattoos aren't really what many would prefer here.

It is just that they are totally what I like. I have no idea why but I have been drawn to all kinds of silhouette tattoos so far for their simplicity. That is what my other tattoos are like too. I have two different tattoos planned as well and like that too but for this particular one I find the silhouette tree striking.:)