Unsure of next step

petes67bird

...I feel price has no bearing on quality at all

This is just not true. Paying a high price might not always mean you are going to get the best tattoo ever, but typically the better artists charge more because of supply & demand. They are known to be really good and have customers lining up to get their work. They can charge more. They should charge more, you are paying for their quality, dedication, and creativity. The scratchers cannot charge high prices because they suck, they need to get customers however they can. There is a middle ground, where maybe they are not scratchers, but they are also not next-level amazing and they probably charge somewhere in the middle. $100/hr. is not high for tattoos.

So my wife and I went to Black Ink tattoo in Crystal lake and weren't happy. He wouldn't give us any concrete pricing. My wife wanted 26.2 tattooed between here shoulders and our Rottweiler actual paw print. They said 100-150 for the numbers and 300-500 for paw print, my jaw dropped. I then asked about a half sleeve. He said each piece is its own tattoo and are highly detailed. For a half sleeve it would take at least 5 sessions of 4 hours each at around 400-500 each. So 2000 for a half sleeve. That's a bit high in my eyes.

Upon talking with my wife, we decided that even with a half sleeve I will need to wear long sleeves at work so I might as well go full sleeve. But with that shop it would be 4k, way too much.

Please help with recommendations of reasonably priced good artists. Thanks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4

I'd say that this shop is busy and not hungry for work. Some shops throw prices at people and see if they'll bite. Some do, some don't.

Your best bet is getting a recommendation to a good shop/artist. I feel you need some rapport/dialogue going with the artist before having any work done. Showing them what you want is also big, being vague or ambiguous isn't cool. Asking them flat out for the cost of a sleeve could piss them off as well.

Most shops will give you their hourly rate, which may be $150-200 for the initial hour and usually a bit less for each hour after that. I get a flat hourly rate with my artist, I figure about how many hours I need to get something done and save up for it. If I figure I need $600, I'll save up $800 before going in for the appointment(s).

Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...