Feminine elements in a Japanese tattoo

AuntTudie

I am putting together ideas for my Japanese sleeve. I have a Tennyo or Tennin that goes from my shoulder to elbow.I have added some Japanese clouds. I want to extend this to a full sleeve at some point. What are some more feminine Japanese elements. The story of the Tennyo involves a Fisherman, but do I break the "rules" an d have water above my wrists? I also love the Shi Shi. Can you put a Shi Shi on the same arm as a Tennyo? I know it is ultimately up to me and my choices though I am looking for the feminine elements in Japanese tattoos. I know some of you have studied Japanese tattooing. I am looking forward to hearing ideas.

I probably won't be any help because I know nothing about Japanese tattoos...but in my opinion, any tattoo can be "feminine" without being overtly feminine. Just the fact that it's on a woman makes it feminine, too often people get caught up in "only certain colors are for girls, this design is too masculine, etc" but really tattoos are for both genders so there's nothing off limits. I assume your artist is pretty knowledgeable about the "rules" so you can ask him/her and choose to follow them or break them as you see fit (nowadays a lot of people don't strictly adhere to them as much).

Hey there! I have a dragon koi and a shishi. For my dragon koi, we did it a little 'softer' but it's still fierce. Same with my shishi. We did a female shishi because that's what I wanted. I would have felt equally comfortable with a male shishi! I'll be adding peonies which are masculine. Boom. How about cherry blossoms? Chrysanthemums?

You can also research the colours of the koi. Red koi could represent a mother and love and a pink koi could represent a daughter. The transition between a koi and changing into a dragon slowly could mean you overcame a big obstacle and are changing for the better because of it. I love Japanese style tattoos and the stories behind it.