Trust in a new artist?

BrookR70

I've been following an artist in my area that's only been tattooing for around 3 years. I really like his work, but part of me is a little hesitant to let him have an area of my back. So I thought about getting something small just to get a feel for how well he does. I can't lie...the fact that he works cheaper than most good artists has crept into my head as well.

Any thoughts?

Less experience, lower hourly rate...more hours, higher overall cost.

Your back is the primo real estate. Start small, see how smooth this newish tattooer's technique is, how you heal, and also how you click together in a tattooer-client relationship. Less experienced tattooers may have good technique but have they made enough past mistakes to understand placement and design composition? I'd rather they make the mistakes on someone else!

my $0.02, i've been tattooed by apprentices and guys with 20+ years experience. And now that I'm almost full-up there are some spots I wished I'd waited to get with the 20+Exp cats. But really when it comes down to it...no rugrats

I think that I would also be more willing to trust one that works in a shop with more experienced artists and is seeking (and getting) continued mentoring. I've been at my line of work for over 35 years, and I still learn to do it better every day (although I've been damn good at it for decades).

All tattooists begin with any small work. I would advise to look for the people that have tattoos made by this master. Look at the quality of the drawings. Then advised to determine the style in which you want to make a drawing on your back and do a small tattoo in a similar style.

This will show how to master works and how the tattoo heals after his work.

And the price is important but do not consider it the main show the quality of work. I saw a lot of tattooists who took a lot of money for their work and makes it bad. And vice versa.

Well, if you do not find lyuedy with tattoos from him - that inspection portfolio course.=)